What did we forget?

CajunCpl

My GF and I got a trip on the Navigator booked to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. So far we got passports, a list of stuff to pack, a room in Galveston, parking at Park n Cruise, trip to West End with Rony's for hopefully some swimming/shopping/lunch, a little exploration with Cave-Tubing.com, and thinking about seeing ruins in Cozumel. We would like to try some lobster (if reasonable) somewhere, and not miss too much on our day in ports (excuse to go back maybe!). As l long as the credit card holds out, anything along the way ya'll suggest I change or add?

My GF and I got a trip on the Navigator booked to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. So far we got passports, a list of stuff to pack, a room in Galveston, parking at Park n Cruise, trip to West End with Rony's for hopefully some swimming/shopping/lunch, a little exploration with Cave-Tubing.com, and thinking about seeing ruins in Cozumel. We would like to try some lobster (if reasonable) somewhere, and not miss too much on our day in ports (excuse to go back maybe!). As l long as the credit card holds out, anything along the way ya'll suggest I change or add?

Would suggest that you keep reading on the regular Royal Caribbean Cruise Critic board - you will find lots more information. This board is a good place to start, but now you know your actual trip you will find more info there. Also, register on the Meet and Mingle Board - you can then correspond with people on your actual cruise and make new friends there.

One thing to be aware of - see you are looking at your own excursions rather than booking through RC. It can be cheaper, but bear in mind that you do not have the protection of having a problem and ship leaving without you if your excursion is delayed - RC will wait for their own excursions. Be careful of the time - make sure you stay on ship's time.

Enjoy your cruise.

In addition to insurance, I'd look into getting a temporary policy with MedJet Assist. This company will get you back home, to a hospital of your choosing, should you get injured or sick and end up in a local hospital. Now I don't cruise without it.

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions.

Will look up & into Sabors for eating.

Turned down trip insurance, cost was almost 20% of what I have down (my bookings were all free so far).

Will look up & into Med Jet Assist.

We're both current for Hep A, Hep B, Pneumonia, Flu, & Tetnus.

We also have Rx for oral Typhoid if we wanna go get it.

Hadn't looked into malaria or anything else.

Personally I think you're making a mistake about the trip insurance, but that's just me. A few years ago I had a cruise set up to go to Alaska, and I felt the travel insurance was too expensive. Three weeks before I was scheduled to leave I fell and broke my leg in three places and tore three ligaments around my ankle. I had to cancel the trip, and because I didn't have insurance, I lost the $4k the trip cost.:mad::eek:

You might consider packing a small backpack to carry things like bottled water, etc., when you go ashore. I always take one and have used it on every cruise.

The last time we did an itinerary similar to yours, I included a couple of collapsible umbrellas and we used them. It rained hard for several minutes while we were in Belize and Costa Maya. We were the only ones with umbrellas! :D

The sun came out after 15-20 minutes in each place, but we were glad we had the umbrellas.

Happy cruising!

Hey Treven, thanks for the horror story, some kinda bad luck. :( But if that happened to me, I'd would only be out $1500 for an oceanview, if RC did nuthin for me at all. My bookings, cost nuthin until I show up, or they are over. Just 24hrs cancels my parking and motel charges. If I had $4k on the line, I'd probably have insurance.

Hey Jim, thanks for the tip. We had a raincoat/water/Rx and more planned for the backpack, but not an umbrella, which could be very useful.

My quick advice is to call your bank and/or credit card company and let them know the dates you will be traveling. I learned this the hard way when my card was declined at Senior Frogs :eek:

Also, pack your swimsuit in a bag that you do not check with the porters. And perhaps sunscreen too. That way you can get the party started early when everyone else is wishing they had their swimsuits.

Call your cell provider to find out about cheap cell service internationally in the Caribbean if you need to be in touch with anyone back home and make sure you turn data roaming off on your phone. I didn't do this one time and got a cell bill for over $400 - thankfully, my cell provider noticed what was going on and notified me to call them, then they helped me and changed the charges to an international package - only $60 plus my regular monthly fee - very thoughtful and considerate of them as I HAD to be in touch due to caring for my elderly parents but didn't realize my provided didn't have a contract with NCL.

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions.

Will look up & into Sabors for eating.

Turned down trip insurance, cost was almost 20% of what I have down (my bookings were all free so far).

Will look up & into Med Jet Assist.

We're both current for Hep A, Hep B, Pneumonia, Flu, & Tetnus.

We also have Rx for oral Typhoid if we wanna go get it.

Hadn't looked into malaria or anything else.

Glad you are current on some of your vaccinations. Check when you last had some of the more common shots, such as measles, mumps, whooping cough. A few years ago several passengers came down with whooping cough. Not fun!

I agree with Treven on the insurance question. We never leave home a good plan. One unforeseen illness or accident could cost a lot more than the cruise. Glad to see you will look into Med Jet. Assist.

Edited by Grannycb

Cajuns' and all...

We are not buying trip insurance either. It was just not cost effective for the $900 we're putting up front here. If one of us tears out a knee and/or breaks a leg, we won't be worried about that $. Sickness is very rare for us, and that happening in April, would be a first.

Do we need Typhoid protection?

Cajuns' and all...

We are not buying trip insurance either. It was just not cost effective for the $900 we're putting up front here. If one of us tears out a knee and/or breaks a leg, we won't be worried about that $. Sickness is very rare for us, and that happening in April, would be a first.

Do we need Typhoid protection?

Sorry - have to disagree about insurance. Have been on a cruise where a passenger was seriously injured in a cab accident - sickness might be rare for you; however, don't overlook things beyond your control, such as accidents. Will cost you a lot more than the insurance!

Regarding phone service - if you use your phone as your watch - remember to stay on ship's time. There have been lots of reports of people using their phone as their clock during shore time and the phone automatically adjusts to the time zone they are in; the ship is not always on local time. Don't miss the ship if on shore!

Tnx Granny,

We have both had the mumps and 3 day measles. But last real measles shot was as a child I guess. Will check on that at Walgreens, where they have signs in their grass for all kinds of vaccinations including whooping ciough. And I heard in the news lately, that most all of us could use a new measles shot. :eek:

Slim/Candy,

A trip insurance quote to us was like $140, on only a $1500 risk. That's like $10k a year premium on a $100k home insurance policy!

Tnx Granny,

We have both had the mumps and 3 day measles. But last real measles shot was as a child I guess. Will check on that at Walgreens, where they have signs in their grass for all kinds of vaccinations including whooping ciough. And I heard in the news lately, that most all of us could use a new measles shot. :eek:

Slim/Candy,

A trip insurance quote to us was like $140, on only a $1500 risk. That's like $10k a year premium on a $100k home insurance policy!

Not sure where you got that insurance quote but it seems high. Even the cruise line's own insurance is usually around $80 per person - and that covers medical, lost baggage, etc. Try checking on Insure My Trip (very popular with cruisers) or similar site and see what kind of rate you get and for what coverage.

PMc,

That price was actually from Insure My Trip's. $70 for the each of us ($140 total). Travel Select was $132. Too much money to me to cover only $1500 worth of risk.

I did follow your advice, and bought a watch to wear for the ship time which I'll be staying on.

Hi CajunCpl: most people have already commented on what you may wish to take with you on your cruise. The mosquitoes in the Caribbean these days are packing a wicked bite. It's called "chikungunya". It causes fever and severe joint pain for days/weeks/months. I returned from a Caribbean cruise January 31st and we took those Off clip-ons just in case - we never had to use them. I would recommend: 1) research "chikungunya" further and 2) pack Off or other insect repellant with Deet in it. Have a great cruise.

OK, I got us some OFF bug spray out too. Do they allow pressurized spray or gotta use bottle/pump stuff?

As far as taking on board, you can take either; flying you would need to pack as they do not allow pressurized pray in hand luggage.

Make sure the Off you have contains Deet - I found it easier to pack the small, towellette wipes, actually took the Cutter's brand. They are so small and work just like a wet hand towellete like Wet Ones. The clip ons are fine, but I think once they are opened they only last for so long. I like the towellette kind because I only needed them on shore and just put a few in the beach bag and use as needed.

You might think about wearing light colored Rashguards, too, when doing water activities.

As far as packing bug spray or anything else, I put my in a ziplock bag and then put that ziplock bag in a larger plastic zippered bag so that if somehow the liquid leaks, it doesn't get all over my clothes.

Edited by SuiteTraveler