Birth Certificate Dilemma

Its 230am and our cruise leaves today at 4pm. my sister just now realizes she doesnt have her birth certificate even though I've been asking for it since last week. She doesn't have a passport either. She was able to find a copy of her original birth certificate that was notarized and has an official stamp... thing is... it was notarized in 1979 and it looks really old. its still a good copy and the stamp is very much so visible and so is the signature... Does anyone know if this would work?

Its 230am and our cruise leaves today at 4pm. my sister just now realizes she doesnt have her birth certificate even though I've been asking for it since last week. She doesn't have a passport either. She was able to find a copy of her original birth certificate that was notarized and has an official stamp... thing is... it was notarized in 1979 and it looks really old. its still a good copy and the stamp is very much so visible and so is the signature... Does anyone know if this would work?

Copies are acceptable under the regulations but it's up to the cruise line, some say they won't take them. Carnival's FAQ clearly states that they do take them, I think Royal says no, NCL is vague on the issue. I believe that as long as it is a copy of an official government birth certificate that it should be accepted. Since it is all that she has it is better to show up with that than with nothing. Good luck!

That should work very well.

FYI, she will never be able to get her original birth certificate. The state keeps the original and only ever issues official copies.

Mine is considerably older than 50 years :eek: and it is handwritten. Our township clerk's office accepts passport application and a young staffer was giving me some difficulty . . . The Clerk is a friend and when she saw what was going on she wandered over. One look at the document and a "Hon, that's how they did them when we were born," and my application was accepted.

No problem at all with the Passport office!

My BC is over 50 years old.....as long as it's issued by the State, if doesn't matter how old or ratty it is!

The age of an original birth certificate is not the question.

The question is OP's sister wants to use a notarized COPY of birth certificate. The notary and seal were done in 1979.

I don't think the age of the notary will be a problem. Either they will accept the notarized copy regardless of age or not.

The chances are in your favor but, of course, no guarantees.

Such stress last minute.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

By now you are probably both onboard. If your sister was turned away, I hope she got a good picture of you waving goodby!