Malaria?? Travelling with 2 year old

ziggyS1StefZoe

I've booked an excursion and now wondering if I should cancel due to malaria risk?

I believe the individual needs to get educated by a travel doctor then weigh risk and reward. Both Malaria and Dengue are on the island. It is entirely possible you or your child will be the unlucky one to attract the right bug.. or you could be just fine. Sadly, predicting the future is not one of my skills.

If you decide to go, find a bug repellent which works for the child and use it well. I know people who swear by deet and others who is does not work for.

Edited by Guest 2000

• 3 weeks later...

You should review the information provided by the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov) for your destination, and consult with your pediatrician. The mosquitos that transmit malaria tend to be active at night, so on a cruise you are less likely to encounter them than if you were staying on the island for your entire vacation. The mosquitoes that transmit dengue are active all of the time, unfortunately. We have visited twice and have not taken antimalarial medicine - we just used bug spray (DEET for exposed skin and permethrin-treated clothes) and were fine both times (we did island tour, ziplining, botanical garden, cameo factory, lunch on waterfront in West End...lots of different environments).