P&O Ventura v. RCCL Navigator

scungileen

Hi, I am an avid cruiser, but I have never been on P&O. I usually sail with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and just recently MSC. I am interested in going to Portugal next year and when I look at the many itineraries for Spain and Portugal, the best ones for my interests were with the Ventura cruise ship or the Navigator. Having never sailed on a British ship, I was wondering if I will be happy. I like a big ship with a lot of activities and some glitz. The MSC Divina was by far the most beautiful ship I have been on. The Allure of the Seas was the biggest and most fun ship I've been on. I know the Navigator will fulfill my request for glitz and lots of activities as I have sailed on her sister ships. With that said, the cruises I am picking are more about the cruise ports, rather than the cruise itself. Has anyone been on both and can say that I will be just as happy on one as the other. Food and entertainment are important to me as well. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what to expect from P&O. Will the crowd be older and more conservative? I am not into the young, drinking crowd Carnival attracks, but I do like it to be fun and entertaining and somewhat family oriented. Anyone out there who can be of help, please give me a shout!

Others will give better answers than this - I have never been on RCI, but you may find Ventura a bit quiet if you really like the RCI style. It does have activities, but it is not like the dodgems/climbing/surfing style of RCI. I think the "crowd" are older, a little, and it may well reflect that. Food and Entertainment I think are excellent but are very "British" and portions may be smaller compared to American ships ?

With respect to activities and menus, I saved everything from a 7 night Ventura Fly/Cruise round the Med (the repeatedly run Genoa -> Venice one) http://www.studio2.org.uk/Horizon.pdf and http://www.studio2.org.uk/Menus.pdf - Horizon is the "daily magazine" and menus .pdfis the evening menus. The former will tell you exactly what happens on a P&O Cruise.

I personally never have been bored (and we like the US style, we visit Orlando & DLP fairly regularly) but if you want 24/7 high intensity you might find it a bit quiet ?

People do say the kids clubs work very well, but mine are a bit old now so can't say from personal experience.

ive been on Ventura and Liberty of the seas(RCL) and loved both, but but for glitz and having lots to do I think RCL might suit you more. I don't know what navigator has to offer but I do recall lots going on when I was on Liberty and the entertainment team were constantly on the go, if I remember correctly , entertainment team on Ventura were more subdued and I don't think we ever saw the entertainment manager. on liberty the entertainment manager was always on the go , even playing games with guests when not on duty!

Now, if you like a drop of the 'hard stuff' then ventura would be a much better option as drinks are much, much cheaper on P and O, plus, you can take spirits on board with you.

+ and - for both, but that's always the case. I love a promenade deck and didn't like Liberty not having one. haven't found a ship that has everything yet, so will just have to keep cruising till I do!!

Ventura:

Good british food

British entertainment in the evenings

Low drink prices

More relaxed atmosphere onboard

Navigator (have been on Independance and Adventure):

Better buffet selections

Lots of activities, ice skating, climbing wall, golf, flowrider

Slightly bigger cabins

MDR food american, few veggies served.

Impressive decor and design

Excellent service

If you do just want a base for a ports focussed cruise then Ventura will be a good choice however if you want more activities and wow factor then Navigator would suit you better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Been on both ships so see if I can help.

Ventura 1st , Nice ship no major issues very British as its P&O so a little more suited to British than none Brits.

Some great features fine dinning and glass house etc. Deck space can be a little tight when its full so make sure you have a Balcony. Great little back deck for chilling, shows some good some poor. Theatre a little bland. Overall 7/10

Navigator great ship larger then Ventura and very impressive in terms of central Atrium which runs the length of the ship. A lot more things going on ie ice rink and crazy golf with Burger bar etc doing funky dancing, I found it a but too much in your face........... but that was not to say it was not a great ship. 7/10

I would say if you want more to do on sea days and you are active Navigator is for you, Ventura if you want to chill a little more and don't mind the British ship with its typical British taste etc.

Hope that helps.

We found RCCI too much for us and we thought the buffet was terrible much worse than the selection on P&O, we thought the Royal Promenade was ghastly - too crowded and too noisy so you couldn't enjoy the entertainment in the bar you were in. We also thought the decor was all too blingy. We don't cruise exclusively on P&O by any means and have cruised with Cunard, Princess, Celebrity and Fred Olsen as well but RCCI is the only line we wouldn't cruise on again

We did, however think the food was very good and the staff on a par with P&O and we really liked the ice-show but definitely not the other entertainment which we thought was too much geared to children. If you're a family with teenagers. though I'd say go for it.

Edited by tartanexile81

I would pick Navigator. The ship has recently had a huge refit so there is that to consider also. While I have only sailed on Independence, I found the buffet to be far superior to the relatively small one on Ventura.