Short calls in port

artemis10

Just returned from Arcadia world cruise not our first world cruise and it won't be our last. Overall a most enjoyable cruise only really spoilt by the ridiculously short times in port. 9am to 4.30pm seemed to be the norm one or two a little bit longer. The call to Brisbane was a classic, arrive at 9am got on first shuttle bus for a 45min ride and arrived city centre at just after 10am. Last shuttle bus at 3.30pm to be back on board for 4.30pm departure. Travel half way around the world to spend just five and a half hours in a city like Brisbane, I think P&O are making a mistake with regards to this, there were a lot of unhappy passengers.

Is there any one reading this that has been on the Aurora worldly this year and was it the same.

One other little niggle, second day in Sydney we were at anchor and tendered. We weren't told about this until well into the cruise even though it appears P&O had known about it for some considerable time. I have also had it confirmed by P&O that it will be the same for the Aurora call to Sydney during the 2016 world cruise but no mention of this in the brochure or on the website.

I think P&O are making a mistake with regards to this, there were a lot of unhappy passengers.

Pax have been complaining about short port calls for at least a couple of years now, and members of P&O crew have confirmed that it's a deliberate policy to reduce port fees and save money on fuel, because by leaving one port early and arriving at next destination later, they can cruise slower. Compares very unfavourably with other lines (RCI) where ships dock at 6 or 7 am and don't depart until 6-8 pm. We only had about 6 hours in Barcelona two years ago. We managed Sagrada Famiglia, the Ramblas and a walk round Port Vell and that was it. Things do look a little better for our upcoming Caribbean cruise. I think most days we dock around 8 am and depart about 6 pm.

And of course you're on board longer and from their point of view probably spending more money! Win! Win!

I must say it is something I am checking out more carefully these days as it can have a real impact on what you can do in port especially if you want to DiY. Their reluctance to commit to definite port times even after you have booked doesn't help either - the vague 'early afternoons', ' late morning' type descriptions can translate to quite significant differences in port time between the maximum to minimum timings within those bands. Being cynical one might think they are vague because they don't want potential customers to realise how short some stops really are.

Incidentally our timings in the Caribbean were pretty good.

Edited by kruzseeka

Although I don't have the time at present for a world cruise I have to say the short port days and frequency (lack of ) port days does put me off.

Reading some blogs as well - you can be at sea for 5 days then 6 - 8 hours in port then the same again. Then you can visit huge destinations like Australia and New Zealand and spend a couple of days there maximum. I'd want much more time in port

Their reluctance to commit to definite port times even after you have booked doesn't help either - the vague 'early afternoons', ' late morning' type descriptions can translate to quite significant differences in port time between the maximum to minimum timings within those bands. Being cynical one might think they are vague because they don't want potential customers to realise how short some stops really are.

That's one explanation kruzseeka, the other is that it makes it much more difficult for those of us who DIY (an increasing number I should think if these forums are anything to go by) to make definite plans at destinations.

That's one explanation kruzseeka, the other is that it makes it much more difficult for those of us who DIY (an increasing number I should think if these forums are anything to go by) to make definite plans at destinations.

Agreed - lots of reasons to adopt this policy; fuel savings, reduced port fees, more time on board to spend - and makes it more difficult to arrange your own excursions!!!! Not good is it?

Could back fire though if passengers turn to other companies with longer port times as you pointed out earlier.

Try this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cruisett+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You might be lucky and find your ship is included. I've picked up our berthing times for our cruise in September but not all P&O ships are listed - and those which are have listings for varying dates into the future! :confused:

Agreed - lots of reasons to adopt this policy; fuel savings, reduced port fees, more time on board to spend - and makes it more difficult to arrange your own excursions!!!! Not good is it?

Could back fire though if passengers turn to other companies with longer port times as you pointed out earlier.Try this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cruisett+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You might be lucky and find your ship is included. I've picked up our berthing times for our cruise in September but not all P&O ships are listed - and those which are have listings for varying dates into the future! :confused:

I have already done this. For the first time since I first sailed with them in 1997 I have currently no future cruises booked with P&O, both my cruises booked are with another company. It is not just the reduced port times that have caused me to jump ship, but it is definitely a factor I took into consideration.

Always been a niggle of mine, I tend to write it down on the cruise comments card but it never seems to improve.

I also hate the old half day approach I know they charge them a lot in some ports as my sister works in the shipping industry used to be Nav. officer on a P&O ship.

Thanks for the link kruzseeka. I'd already checked it out some time ago for our cruise which is listed. Helped to see that the day we're on Tortola there are 4 other big ships in port - eeek. The Baths on Virgin Gorda will be manic - think a quiet beach day may be in order.