Could this be the end of Oriana?

terrierjohn

Oh dear! What a shame.

Agree. I much prefer ships of her size or smaller. Ventura is as big as I am prepared to go, I have no interest in Britannia and other floating resort hotels of that size.

In the latest P&O brochure Oriana's last published cruise is in Dec 2016. Will that be her last as a P&O ship, and who will her next owners be?

Oh what a shame. I loved her when I sailed on her for only 4 nights in November but was worried about all the bad reports and was thinking I might wait until after her re-fit before sailing on her again!

Does seem a strange place to advertise it!? Has there been any P&O response to this?

Oh what a shame. I loved her when I sailed on her for only 4 nights in November but was worried about all the bad reports and was thinking I might wait until after her re-fit before sailing on her again!

Does seem a strange place to advertise it!? Has there been any P&O response to this?

Other cruise ships have been advertised there and the specification is Orianas. She is the oldest ship and has relatively few balcony cabins so that might be the reason for disposal.

Yes I can see it matches Oriana's - the tiffany glass ceiling is a give away too! Just seemed funny "cruise ship for sale" - I'll park it in my back garden! :D

Would expect some sort of announcement from P&O before it could be seen on the internet.

Would expect some sort of announcement from P&O before it could be seen on the internet.

That's what I was thinking - surely they wouldn't put her up for sale like an old car before letting loyal passengers know. :confused:

Or am I being naïve ;)

Its just a nagging thought that something isn't quite right with this ad but I just can't decide what it is. It could be that it just seems too casual.

It may well be true, but hope not as Oriana is my favourite so far!

P&O have confirmed on Twitter she is not being sold.

As there is no replacement she will not be sold, yet. I stick to my guess of 2018/9 or may be 2020. As much as some would like she cannot go on for ever.

If they announce a new ship of any size below 100,000 then that will be it.

If P&O does sell this wonderful ship they need to replace her with one of similar size and layout. It would be wrong to replace her with another massive vessel which does not have a "ship" feel. This would confirm a wrong direction by Carnival, should they need any advise I suggest they look at the poor reviews of Britannia thus far and genuinely believe that this approach is not what a sizable number of their customer base wants.

Oriana has probably been the most successful cruise ship on the planet since she was launched, that's all Carnival need to consider and ignore the modernists within their ranks

She is NOT for sale ( we'll certainly not through this method) This is purely a broker trying to find a buyer for her even though she is not for sale. Basically they are a third party broker that will try to find a buyer for vessels that are not for sale. If they can find a buyer who is willing to pay then they contact the owner and if a deal goes through they take a cut. It's common practice. This is very common in the ferry industry. Most of the Brittany ferries fleet has appeared on these websites but they were never for sale. If Carnival were to dispose of her then it would be done behind closed doors and not through a broker like this. Also ship ownership can be a very complicated thing.

She is NOT for sale ( we'll certainly not through this method) This is purely a broker trying to find a buyer for her even though she is not for sale. Basically they are a third party broker that will try to find a buyer for vessels that are not for sale. If they can find a buyer who is willing to pay then they contact the owner and if a deal goes through they take a cut. It's common practice. This is very common in the ferry industry. Most of the Brittany ferries fleet has appeared on these websites but they were never for sale. If Carnival were to dispose of her then it would be done behind closed doors and not through a broker like this. Also ship ownership can be a very complicated thing.

So it is legal to advertise something for sale even though it doesn't belong to you and which the real owner has no intention of selling? Bizarre!

So it is legal to advertise something for sale even though it doesn't belong to you and which the real owner has no intention of selling? Bizarre!

No idea if it is legal or not but it happens all the time.

Thanks for the explanation :)