Book Suggestions-Rhine River Cruise

yoshi

I love to read historical fiction based on where I travel. For instance Michner's Hawaii, Mexico, Alaska or McCullough's Path Between the Seas for the Panama Canal cruise, etc.

Does anyone have a good book suggestion for the Rhine River Cruise? I have almost 3 months before we go, I would love to get in some books before.

Thanks CPT Trips- I've added A Small Town in Germany to my list. The list that Sharkster77 mentioned had The Bridge at Remagen, says it was one of Harry S. Truman's favorite books on WWII. I will try to find the movie as I am now acquiring lots of books to read before my trip.

I found The Girl With a Pearl Earring at my local library book sale so I have started reading that first. Also found the Diary of Anne Frank which I'm sure I read back in high school.

• 2 weeks later...
A Small Town in Germany, John leCarre.

How about an old movie? The Bridge at Remagen.

Our cruise director told us when we were passing what is left of this bridge. It was right in the middle of dinner, but quite a few people got up to take pictures outside. Ask your CD if he/she will make an announcement so you don't miss it because it's quite easy to miss.

Viking has certainly put together an interesting list of books. A small town in Germany is inspired by John le Carre's time in Bonn on the Rhine. On my bucket list.

The Bridge at Remagen was filmed in Czechoslovakia as the German authorites did not allow filming at the Rhine due to the river traffic (according to wikipedia). As a tip: put into google maps Remagen Brücke, zoom in and add photo sphere. You get some nice shots taken by people from the embankment and the Rhine.

A classic old book is: Wilhelm Ruland - Legends of the Rhine ca. 1910, a translation form the German. A compilation of the romantic and the gruesome stories surrounding the river. It is available in newer editions (but without the art illustrations).

notamermaid

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since most of the Rhine River cruises have a pre or post extension in Lucerne, I thought I'd add this one. If you like a good spy/action/mystery/thriller---you might try "The Lions of Lucerne" by Brad Thor.

Our Rhine cruise in May will be stopping at Arnhem in the Netherlands. There is actually a "Bridge too Far" tour. This is a great movie if you haven't seen it.

The book is well worth the time investment. Not surprisingly, it is much more detailed than the movie.

It has nothing to do with the Rhine, but if you've never done a River Cruise, I highly recommend Best Vacation Ever, The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence, by Cash Peters. It's only available as a Kindle book from amazon.com, but it's one of the best and funniest descriptions of river cruising I've found.

Fuel Science