Nijmegen

SOShrink

For our upcoming Tulips cruise in April, there is a stop for the day in Nijmegen where you are given the choice of going to Groesbeek to see the WW II related National Liberation Museum or to Nuenen where Vincent Van Gogh lived and worked. I know the obvious answer depends on one's interest in history or Impressionist art, but I was hoping for more insight. After all, how can you miss the commemoration of Operation Market Garden in Groesbeek, and yet, how can you not want to see the quaint village of Nuenen where Van Gogh painted The Potato Eaters?

For our upcoming Tulips cruise in April, there is a stop for the day in Nijmegen where you are given the choice of going to Groesbeek to see the WW II related National Liberation Museum or to Nuenen where Vincent Van Gogh lived and worked. I know the obvious answer depends on one's interest in history or Impressionist art, but I was hoping for more insight. After all, how can you miss the commemoration of Operation Market Garden in Groesbeek, and yet, how can you not want to see the quaint village of Nuenen where Van Gogh painted The Potato Eaters?

We went to Nijmegen on our tulip cruise and DH (a history buff) went to NLM....he loved it. I did not join him because it was the Queen's Birthday and 3 other women and I bought orange feather boas and went to the annual countrywide yard sale because all the shops were closed and we had a blast!!! It all depends on what day in April you're there. Several others went to the Van Gogh exhibit,which I believe is a private collection, and enjoyed it very much. IMHO you can't go wrong doing any one of the three. The heart of the city is literally steps away from the dock so it's a real easy walk.

The Kröller-Müller Museum is one of the greatest museums in Europe – and the best Van Gogh collections in the world. It is some drive (about an hour) from Nijmegen, and in the middle of De Hoge Veluwe National Park, the Netherlands' largest nature reserve. But is it not the same place as Nuenen, which is somewhere Van Gogh lived for a couple of years, and he painted a number of the buildings that are still standing. I haven’t visited Nuenen, but understand that you can visit his studio, which has displays (but no actual works of art).

I visited the Kröller-Müller when on a Tauck Rhine cruise. It was well worth it. And the father of one of the Tauck directors on board played a key role in Operation Market Garden, and so he was able to do a historical talk while we were travelling up to the national park

De Hoge Veluwe National Park, the Netherlands' largest nature reserve and home to many endangered plant and animal species in a unique and varied landscape. In the midst of this natural glory, you’ll find the inspiring Kröller-Müller - See more at: http://www.tauck.co.uk/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/rhine-moselle-south-river-cruise-rms-2016.aspx?tabPage=Itinerary#sthash.dffmp9GI.dpuf

De Hoge Veluwe National Park, the Netherlands' largest nature reserve and home to many endangered plant and animal species in a unique and varied landscape. In the midst of this natural glory, you’ll find the inspiring Kröller-Müller - See more at: http://www.tauck.co.uk/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/rhine-moselle-south-river-cruise-rms-2016.aspx?tabPage=Itinerary#sthash.dffmp9GI.dpuf

"Kröller-Müller Museum is one of the greatest museums in Europe – and the best Van Gogh collections in the world. It is some drive (about an hour) from Nijmegen."

Last spring on the Uniworld Tulips and Windmills cruise, we opted for the National Liberation Museum, where Operation Market Garden took place. The guides and the museum were really outstanding for any WWII history buffs. Lots of history!

The bridge too far!

On a separate optional tour on the cruise took the Kroller-Muller Museum took.

The guide was fantastic and museum guide took us to the outside gardens and the museum itself. One of the finest museums you will visit.incredible!

Check out my picture website..lots of photos..

Rick

As I recall, last year we decided to 'divide and conquer' and I thought the time spent driving to and from Nuenen was too long in relationship to the time actually spent in town at the museum / gallery and doing the walking tour.

That being said, the town is very pretty and if you decide to go off on your own they do have a number of information posts throughout town that show a copy of a painting and where he would have stood to get the exact view shown.

The Kroller-Muller Museum is outstanding. My adult daughter and I enjoyed a day there when we spent a week in the area for art and Belgium beer. One thing that no one has mentioned is that the museum has bicycles to borrow to ride among the extensive sculpture gardens. The park itself is wonderful, too, and the map of its attractions that you can pick up at the entrance is very well detailed.