Dinner Attire....

uilleann

And what's a lady supposed to do? Or are we all just supposed to be neat? I'd like a pair of strings in the corner of my napkin, like an apron. I have ruined more good tops eating things like spaghetti, lol!

I don't remember which airline this was on (but know it was part of the Star Alliance). The linen napkins in first and/or business class came with one or two tiny (about an inch long) plastic clothespins to pin your napkin to your shirt/blouse. Worked great and I should have kept them.

And what's a lady supposed to do? Or are we all just supposed to be neat? I'd like a pair of strings in the corner of my napkin, like an apron. I have ruined more good tops eating things like spaghetti, lol!

Exactly, Wendy and that's why the one I described works so well. It's really the same premise as the dentist's bib but without the bib. It's 2 clips on a chain....mine is pearls and his is silver...and the clips hold the provided napkin in place where it belongs. Kind of like a lobster bib only now as tacky!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Ritabob....you know those little bibs the dentist puts around your neck? Well if you take two metal clips and attach them to a chain (for him) beads (for her) they clip onto the napkin and cover the front of his shirt and as an added bonus they keep the napkin from falling off your lap and they're cheaper than Tide sticks!!! I found them in a catalog, they were about $5 and somewhere some dentist (or dental assistant) has quit dentistry and making a fortune off people who can't always get the food from plate to mouth!!! :D

Just trying to picture how these are actually used. Do you make a bib out of your napkin or are they somehow clipped lower so the napkin stays on your lap?

Just trying to picture how these are actually used. Do you make a bib out of your napkin or are they somehow clipped lower so the napkin stays on your lap?

It really is just like the dentist's bib....it's a chain with a clip on either end...you put it around your neck and clip the ends of your cloth napkin to each clip. The napkin then covers the top of your body. They come in several different chains...mine is a pearls while DH is silver....there's also a gold one and one that has clear glass. I ordered them from a catalog called Golden Violin and I think I paid around $10 for both of them and after some good-natured teasing most of the time we're asked "so, where did you get them, I want them too". The napkin isn't on your lap so it can't fall off. It's like the chain that holds your glasses and not like the adult bibs you see for people in nursing homes. Downside is if you really drop something like pasta off your fork it won't help much but if it's just a little red sauce that dribbles off the fork you avoid that red stain right in the middle of your shirt/blouse.

Edited by Hydrokitty

It really is just like the dentist's bib....it's a chain with a clip on either end...you put it around your neck and clip the ends of your cloth napkin to each clip. The napkin then covers the top of your body. They come in several different chains...mine is a pearls while DH is silver....there's also a gold one and one that has clear glass. I ordered them from a catalog called Golden Violin and I think I paid around $10 for both of them and after some good-natured teasing most of the time we're asked "so, where did you get them, I want them too". The napkin isn't on your lap so it can't fall off. It's like the chain that holds your glasses and not like the adult bibs you see for people in nursing homes. Downside is if you really drop something like pasta off your fork it won't help much but if it's just a little red sauce that dribbles off the fork you avoid that red stain right in the middle of your shirt/blouse.

Thanks, Hydrokitty, makes sense now. A conversation starter, I imagine:)

Thanks, Hydrokitty, makes sense now. A conversation starter, I imagine:)

It is indeed and the funny thing is every time we use them we get asked "how can I get one"....after the "bib" jokes...but you have to have a sense of humor right? :D

"Here is the question. Can I get by with the following: Clean leather walking shoes, clean jeans, clean non-print t-shirt, a clean fleece vest?"

The question posed by the OP puts me into a remarkable position, considering that I am usually a staunch defender of casual dress on any sort of cruise experience. Like the OP, I exist pretty much year-round in shorts and t-shirt, very much the typical Pacific Northwest REI mode of dress. Further, like the OP, I wore the corporate uniform for many years prior to my retirement 10 years ago. Like him, I would be happy to never again in my lifetime don any of my collection of beautiful silk ties; but I keep them in the closet for weddings and funerals.

Where, however, I respectfully diverge from the position of the OP is his request to wear a t-shirt to dinner (with or without fleece seems to be irrelevant). Lordie, how tough is it to put on a golf shirt (aka, polo shirt)? That sort of shirt is certainly as comfortable as a t-shirt, is certainly as washable without any ironing necessary, and would even dress up his fleece vest a bit (although why anyone needs to wear a fleece vest to dinner escapes me, unless there are problems with the heating system on the boat).

As for the subsequent discussion on this thread regarding tucking napkins into one's collar either literally or figuratively (i.e. using cute little chains or button holes), I will have to admit to a perhaps old-fashioned preference for the napkin being left in the lap. The napkin on the chest, either tucked, hung, or buttoned, seems to bring to mind far too dramatically an image of Grandpa McCoy.

I will admit to having often tossed my silk ties over my shoulder at meals to protect them from my spills, while leaving my more-easily-cleaned cotton dress shirts exposed to the dangers of dining mishaps. Nonetheless, I never sunk (rose??) to the level of placing a napkin over my chest to protect all of that fabric territory.

In summary, my vote in response to the OP is that he should wear a golf shirt with his jeans and leather walking shoes to dinner, and keep his napkin on his lap.

Cheers, Fred

"Here is the question. Can I get by with the following: Clean leather walking shoes, clean jeans, clean non-print t-shirt, a clean fleece vest?"

The question posed by the OP puts me into a remarkable position, considering that I am usually a staunch defender of casual dress on any sort of cruise experience. Like the OP, I exist pretty much year-round in shorts and t-shirt, very much the typical Pacific Northwest REI mode of dress. Further, like the OP, I wore the corporate uniform for many years prior to my retirement 10 years ago. Like him, I would be happy to never again in my lifetime don any of my collection of beautiful silk ties; but I keep them in the closet for weddings and funerals.

Where, however, I respectfully diverge from the position of the OP is his request to wear a t-shirt to dinner (with or without fleece seems to be irrelevant). Lordie, how tough is it to put on a golf shirt (aka, polo shirt)? That sort of shirt is certainly as comfortable as a t-shirt, is certainly as washable without any ironing necessary, and would even dress up his fleece vest a bit (although why anyone needs to wear a fleece vest to dinner escapes me, unless there are problems with the heating system on the boat).

As for the subsequent discussion on this thread regarding tucking napkins into one's collar either literally or figuratively (i.e. using cute little chains or button holes), I will have to admit to a perhaps old-fashioned preference for the napkin being left in the lap. The napkin on the chest, either tucked, hung, or buttoned, seems to bring to mind far too dramatically an image of Grandpa McCoy.

I will admit to having often tossed my silk ties over my shoulder at meals to protect them from my spills, while leaving my more-easily-cleaned cotton dress shirts exposed to the dangers of dining mishaps. Nonetheless, I never sunk (rose??) to the level of placing a napkin over my chest to protect all of that fabric territory.

In summary, my vote in response to the OP is that he should wear a golf shirt with his jeans and leather walking shoes to dinner, and keep his napkin on his lap.

Cheers, Fred

I'm not sure what hydrokitty said before she changed her mind, but here's my NY-er response: you have just clearly articulated the difference between the Pacific NW and New York. I never thought of Grandpa McCoy -- I thought of Nonny Salerno [made up name]. Maybe if I were Italian I could eat spaghetti without getting the sauce all over me, but I love spaghetti and I want to stay married, so ... the button-hole napkin stays! But let's not turn this into one of those "formal night" threads that sully the ocean cruise forums! ;)

Cheers, Fred

+1

Thanks, Fred. :)

I'm not sure what hydrokitty said before she changed her mind, but here's my NY-er response: you have just clearly articulated the difference between the Pacific NW and New York. I never thought of Grandpa McCoy -- I thought of Nonny Salerno [made up name]. Maybe if I were Italian I could eat spaghetti without getting the sauce all over me, but I love spaghetti and I want to stay married, so ... the button-hole napkin stays! But let's not turn this into one of those "formal night" threads that sully the ocean cruise forums! ;)

That's basically what I was thinking, Jazz, but you said it better. If I could be guaranteed that all napkins would have a buttonhole in them I would leave my bib holders at home....but like Mrs. Jazz...we wives spend the night with the Tide stick and blow dryers cleaning up the sauce from the shirts!!

BTW I visited the ocean boards for info on the Anthem mess.....that is one really tough crowd. I had no idea you could sail from NY/NJ for the Caribbean this time of year....I just always assumed those cruises originated in Florida or maybe Charleston...but why would you take a cruise to the Caribbean for 7 days leaving from NY/NJ in Winter....first day is at sea and you can't go outside 'cause it's freezing. Speaking of freezing....we're down to 22 degrees this morning....even the cat won't go outside!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

LOL - I won't even wear a lobster bib! I've become very adept at cracking them so everything goes away from me. You don't want to be sitting across from me if I'm eating a whole lobster :)

BTW I visited the ocean boards for info on the Anthem mess.....that is one really tough crowd. I had no idea you could sail from NY/NJ for the Caribbean this time of year....I just always assumed those cruises originated in Florida or maybe Charleston...but why would you take a cruise to the Caribbean for 7 days leaving from NY/NJ in Winter....first day is at sea and you can't go outside 'cause it's freezing. Speaking of freezing....we're down to 22 degrees this morning....even the cat won't go outside!!

I hate to fly to cruise, so the idea of sailing from NY/NJ in the winter always appealed to me - if it was a long cruise - 10 days or more - that went deeper into the Caribbean than the Bahamas. There are apparently a lot of people that feel that way. Royal, NCL & Celebrity all have those huge ships and they sail full.

I'm rethinking this after reading about what the Anthem went through. Those Nor'easters can be worse than a hurricane! I don't mind cold for a day - ships usually have plenty to do inside - but that was insane!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic of dinner attire on river cruises. It's MUCH friendlier here!

We regularly cruise from NJ/NY in the winter on the longer cruises. Mostly we do NCL as they give us better perqs and seem to have more trip choices. First and last sea days are a bit nippy, but the rest of the sea days are typically OK . . . and a heck of a lot better than NJ weather.

Last winter we had to get to Manhattan in the ice storm - if we flew to FL, we never would have made the ship. As it was, route 1 was not too bad and we got to the pier with no trouble.

Quite a difference between the Breakaway and a river boat! But Fat Cats and dueling pianos make up for the size and service difference.

LOL - I won't even wear a lobster bib! I've become very adept at cracking them so everything goes away from me. You don't want to be sitting across from me if I'm eating a whole lobster :)

LOL....I tried that once but I made such a mess of myself and the surrounding area, I vowed not to order lobster unless it came without the shell!!! :D

We regularly cruise from NJ/NY in the winter on the longer cruises. Mostly we do NCL as they give us better perqs and seem to have more trip choices. First and last sea days are a bit nippy, but the rest of the sea days are typically OK . . . and a heck of a lot better than NJ weather.

Last winter we had to get to Manhattan in the ice storm - if we flew to FL, we never would have made the ship. As it was, route 1 was not too bad and w.e got to the pier with no trouble.

Quite a difference between the Breakaway and a river boat! But Fat Cats and dueling pianos make up for the size and service difference.

Our first ocean cruise was to Alaska, which was wonderful, on HAL which was not. When we got off the ship I vowed never to do another big ship cruise...but our friends said we had to try again on Celebrity so we did full transit of Panama Canal for our 50th on Infinity and I have to tell you, I was in tears leaving the ship because they wouldn't let me stay on...it was fantastic and now I love both (but only on Celebrity, willing to try RC)....they're such different trips and offer such diverse activities....it's kind of like chocolate or vanilla ice-cream....why limit yourself to only one?? :D