Live From - 5/22 and 6/1/15 Golden Alaska

ccrain

I have checked in on your thread occasionally so please forgive me if I didn't see this answered. I know I asked it on somebody's thread.

Would you please ask Joey of Phoenix Rising where he will be in October? I will be on the Crown and would love to have him there too.

Thank you

Hi Charles

What are the Internet rates?

Do you use Wi-Fi? or the ship's computers?

Also, how is the gym? Treadmills, ellipticals, weights? well-ventilated?

Thanks!

Internet rates are anywhere from approx. .45 per minute to .75 per minute depending on whether you purchase a package or not. .75 would be the per minute rate with no package.

Availability can be sketchy/slow at best especially in Alaska.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Charles,

Thanks for your entertaining Live thread!

If you happen to catch the numbers, can you let us know the breakdown of passengers from the different Captain's Circle Levels? I always find that interesting. Also do you know what the cutoff for the MTP Luncheon is? One last thing, could you possibly ask who is supposed to be the Cruise Director in August?

Have a great time with your Grand Daughter... It is so much fun to see a new cruiser take in everything!

Happy Cruising! :D

Mark

Thank you for taking the time to write the daily reviews. We leave the same day you return.

Regarding the shows, everyone knows they are lip synching right? It has to be prerecorded in a studio, so it's prefect every time. This accounts for any illnesses, microphones issues, etc. If you watch closely, you will see theirs mouths just off a bit a couple times a show. Anyway, they are still good dancers!

Thanks again!

I have done many behind the scenes stage tours and have addressed the lip synching and was told only the back-up singers are lip synced, the principal dancers/singers are miked. Look for the small mike that they wear.

Tom:)

It sure is nice to have Ally back. She got her sea legs yesterday and felt good enough to eat. So she was her normal, bubbly, talkative self yesterday after lunch. We even got to see some sunshine for a little while, but back in the marine layer this morning. Clock went an hour back last night, so I got an extra half hour of sleep this morning. Now I’m sitting in the IC watching the islands go by, sipping my caramel/mocha latte as we head east into the passages. Hardly anybody is up yet and its so nice and quiet.

So as planned we did the morning Zumba at 0830. Walter is a great instructor. Enthusiastic, full of energy, good simple moves that everyone can pick up on in just a few beats.

We also did the pub lunch in Crown Grill. The steak and kidney pie, for me, was really good. A very unique flavor and seasoned perfectly. Judy had the fish and chips, while Ally had bangers and mash – and then she had the Ploughman’s lunch. Poor thing hadn’t eaten anything but a Cronut in 24 hours. Judy and Ally went to Line Dance and I hit a couple of lectures. From what I can gather, Michael Modowski wrote the first Princess Alaskan Cruise Companion that we had back in 2001 and 2006 on our first series of Alaskan Cruises. Now the current version is written by Rachel Cartwright. So the whale lecture was given by her yesterday as she is a Humpback Whale expert. Very interesting lecture. BTW, our naturalist in Tracy Arm will be Donald Hellstern.

Last night was formal night, which meant getting into a suit and showing off our granddaughter, and pictures, and more pictures, and some more pictures on top of those pictures. It’s actually kind of neat as we are being referred to as ‘Mom and Dad’, rather than Grandpa and Grandma. (Makes us feel a bit younger too.) We hit the stair backdrops right away since they get very crowded, and ran into Sam – our 51 day Ruby B2B2B2B Med and Transatlantic Junior ACD and flash mob choreographer and instructor. Apparently Jamie hadn’t told her we were on board, so it was a very nice surprise for her. (It was her underclothes that Judy threw at Jamie during Jamie’s singing during the crew talent show.) And yes, her and Jamie are an item. Very cute couple.

So then we took Ally to her first MDR meal. And last night was a very special meal. I have the souvenir menu to prove it. The menu actually has a detailed description of each item on the back side. I did not know what a Panache or Ossobuco really meant, but I do now.

Hey the sun just peaked out over the marine layer and we have blue sky framing mountains across the channel. Thin high clouds, but blue sky and bright sunlight! Going to be a glorious day!

The theme dishes for the night was actually a 5 course meal, each course from a different era of Princess. The appetizers were from the 60’s and 70’s, a Duck Terrine with Apricot Preserves and a very small tasting bowl of Porcini Mushroom Cappuccino Soup. This was a really tasty and complimentary to each other appetizer. The apricot preserves went great with the duck terrine (duck spam) and the soup is still popular today on the menu.

The 2nd course was from the 80’s and 90’s and you had the choice of Ossobuco Agnolotti or a “Panache” (salad). And a vinaigrette without any mayo in it, so Judy can eat it! The Ossobuco was easily the best dish of the evening – as both Ally and I can attest. Fresh pasta raviolis, or Agnolotti if you will, filled with a braised beef, in a very rich veal sauce from reduced veal stock. Just a delight.

The third course was a blueberry mojito sorbet pallet cleanser. This bordered, but did not cross, the perfumey line. Very close though, but we all still finished it. It did suffer from the lack of vodka (ala Chef’s table) though.

The main course was from the 2000’s and was a filet of turbot, or a Malabar Beef Tournedos. Judy had the turbot, Ally and I had the beef. Well cooked, excellent sear, perfectly seasoned, tasty, well rested, and most importantly, a single tournedos, not the typical three, they serve on main courses. Thank goodness!

The dessert course was from the Chocolate Journeys collection, a beautiful presentation of a heart shaped raspberry mouse on a crunchy short bread. Beautiful to look at and very yummy to eat! Ally does not care for mousse or jello or jelly or pudding textures, except for ice cream, so she opted for ice cream.

This was a great meal, very tasty and most importantly, small portions. We were able to finish the entire meal without having to call for a wheelbarrow or wheelchair. I really like that.

After dinner, we dressed down. The less time I spend in a suit, the better off I am. All though both girls were simply stunning in their formal wear. (We took Ally shopping last month and bought her an entire new wardrobe for this trip. [Thank goodness for Wal Mart.] And Judy did great picking out a couple of really good formal dresses for her.) Hey even I look good with them on each arm.

Not much dancing as we rushed from venue to venue trying to get it all in. We went to see Stardust, a very simply, elegant and ‘comfortable’ show. Nothing fancy, just pure music, and the vocalist are just great. Having only seen high school productions to this point, she is just mesmerized. I get this very intense feeling of satisfaction when I look over at her and see her facial expressions as she watches the shows, the movements, the positioning, the choreography. She was just soaking this all in.

After Stardust we ran into Sam MCing the blank-blank game show. Another variation of trivia and Liar’s club, but really, really fun. The best game shows are the ones that interact between staff and passengers. This was no exception, although some of the answers from the audience were pretty crude. Yes, we can all make fun of each other and use as many double entendres’ as possible, in fact that’s the best way to play the game, let the imagination do the dirty work, but to be simply crude and graphic about a crew member who is present at the time, just isn’t very funny. (Yeah, my fatherly instinct comes out a bit when we’re talking about Sam – in a position my granddaughter wants to make a career out of.) Besides, picking on Jamie was much more fun!

After the game show, we hustled to get seats at Rollin Jay Moore’s show. Some new stuff since we sailed with him last. Lot’s of repeats, but with different timing, different audience reaction and still funny as all get out. Can’t complain about a comedian that makes you ROFLOL!

So, let’s get to today. We have blue sky, mountains and calm seas. The patter has a high of 768F today. So go figure! Lot’s warmer than what we left in CO! We enter Tracy Arm around 1300 and leave around 1800. We do have a Zumba class this morning and a line dance class right afterwards. Got to get those endorphins flowing!

There is a Juneau port and shopping talk this morning. Bingo. And a few seminars, not to mention an Alaskan essentials outdoor shopping experience (oh boy!) for those last minute necessities, like cameras, binoculars, jackets and other very expensive items!

Tonight’s highlight for us is Country Western night. Into the Woods is on MUTS. They have a big band dance date in Vista. An “invisibles” move challenge with Jamie. Don’t know what that is, but it sounds like something we want to go to. Foxcatcher is playing in the Princess Theater. And then a new twist on Karaoke – ‘So U wanna be a rockstar’ in which, apparently, you get a chance to be lead singer of Lots of Fun.

My laptop is having a heck of a time connecting here in the IC. It almost has to be location, as it connects perfectly in our room. I’ve had this trouble before and it was when I was too close to a couple of access points and it was almost like the computer was having trouble deciding which one to log onto. Judy has no trouble connecting here with her Ipad and neither do a lot of other people. Its more than likely a driver issue, but everything was working perfectly at home and at the Hilton prior to getting on the ship.

Yes, I do type this off line, then log on and upload. On a 10 day, we get 250 minutes free. I used to be able to use Judy’s time, but now she is doing a lot of on-line gaming with her ipad, so she uses her own time now…oh well…

That’s it from the Golden. E’ya later…

CCRAIN

Since your granddaughter wont be able to try the Chefs table, have you considered The Ultimate Balcony Dinner?

If we had an aft balcony, I would, but its still too windy and chilly for a UBD. Both girls are basically lizards!

I have done many behind the scenes stage tours and have addressed the lip synching and was told only the back-up singers are lip synced, the principal dancers/singers are miked. Look for the small mike that they wear.

Tom:)

As previously stated, I know the backup singers are lip synched with fake mikes. But I have a pretty good ear and sitting in the front rows, I can hear both the voice into the mike and the amplified voice at times form the lead vocalists. Not only that but I have sat through two shows in a row on a prior cruise and could tell the difference in timing, tempo and volume between the show's vocals.

Not only that, during Motor City the other night, there was mike issues which clearly impacted the lead singers.

Oh and Judy has been on stage during Motor City and can attest that this one is indeed sung live...

Wow... What a great 1st day. Made me tired and I'm not even there yet. I'll there on June 1st. Can't wait :) Brenda (from Colo Spgs )

I have the invitations printed and ready to go for the M&G. Will drop them off turn around day...

As previously stated, I know the backup singers are lip synched with fake mikes. But I have a pretty good ear and sitting in the front rows, I can hear both the voice into the mike and the amplified voice at times form the lead vocalists. Not only that but I have sat through two shows in a row on a prior cruise and could tell the difference in timing, tempo and volume between the show's vocals.

Not only that, during Motor City the other night, there was mike issues which clearly impacted the lead singers.

Oh and Judy has been on stage during Motor City and can attest that this one is indeed sung live...

Ok, sounds like you have better knowledge than me, but all I can add is on 25+ cruises I have never heard anyone miss a note. Also, I told my wife (who is a semi professional singer) that they were lip synching and she said that it was impossible. We made a bet (won't go into detail what the stakes were ;) ) and the next show she watched closely and agreed with me and paid off her bet. Anyway, we still enjoy the shows.

And again, thanks for the daily updates! We took the same cruise last July and I am curious to hear of any changes. This time we are taking are two daughters.

Edited by francot

If we had an aft balcony, I would, but its still too windy and chilly for a UBD. Both girls are basically lizards!

The UBD can be done inside a mini suite. We have done it several times when the weather is not good for being on the balcony.

Hi Charles

What are the Internet rates?

Do you use Wi-Fi? or the ship's computers?

Also, how is the gym? Treadmills, ellipticals, weights? well-ventilated?

Thanks!

Typical Grand Class gym. Well ventilated. 6 precor ellipticals and about a dozen treadmills. Bring your own ear buds - they have tvs.

Free weights and about 10 Precor weight machine stations for circuit training. Busy early, not crowded at all after 0900.

The UBD can be done inside a mini suite. We have done it several times when the weather is not good for being on the balcony.

It was nice, but I really missed the outdoor feel. Love aft balcony UBDs. We will probably hit Sabatini's and Crown.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

To drive traffic to the specialty restaurants, lots of TAs and Princess are giving coupons. Right now Crown Grill is booked all the way through the cruise until 1030 hours each night. Sabatinis, not so much, so get your booking in early. We will do Sabatini's tomorrow night and Crown next cruise, but only after booking earlier!

I'm enjoying your blog....sad to hear about Noro, however the Golden had it on my May 2013 Alaska cruise and Princess was proactive to stop it. I'm from the Bay Area and panhandlers have been a problem for years. Moving to Albuquerque I see the same situation. I'm taking my 10 year old granddaughter this cruise ......exposing her to the joys of cruising. I'll check back for future blogs...we're both getting excited reading about your experiences.

One of the reasons to take this cruise was the stop in Haines. Never been there before. Always like to try somewhere new. Today we have a river wilderness and wildlife excursion. A jet boat trip up one of the major rivers into a park or wilderness area. Long day in Haines. 0600 docking, 2030 all aboard. Nice long day.

Yesterday’s highlight was Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glacier. Which turned out to be a different glacier in Tracy Arm than the one we visited in 2012 on the Diamond coming back from Asia. The trip up was actually more exciting that the glacier itself. We couldn’t get very close, too many bergy bits and a narrow approach, probably about 3-4 miles, but the solid granite rock scoured smooth by ice was a sight to see. Only at the very tip tops of the peaks, where the jagged edges appeared were free from scouring. Considering that the sea level was much lower back then as well, that meant the glaciers had to be several thousand feet thick.

No wildlife during the approach, although Judy saw a whale early in the morning. And while they were having lunch, someone shouted “iceberg” and everyone rushed to that side of the ship. There was also a pod of Orca’s around as well, which brought to mind my hurried explanation to Winter and Allyson, our tour guides in Dalian China in 2012 – ‘no we CALL them killer whales, we don’t kill them after the show!’.

After watching Ice Cold Gold this season, I was noticing the mineralized zones of rock along the various cliffs. Wish I could pan some of those seams. Bet there is gold in some of them. I think I was a geologist in a previous life.

We did hit the MDR last night and had a very good meal. We requested, and got, the same table as the night before, enjoying Bernardo and Fernando’s company. I went straight for the Co Co Van. Always a favorite of mine. The pasta vongoelle was also quite good.

Also found out we are lousy at Trivia. No wonder we don’t go. Although we didn’t do too bad during the ‘Invisible’ movie trivia in which they photoshop out the actors in the still scene leaving only their clothes. Pretty cool and with Jamie as the MC, we were in stitches the whole time. On the ones we had no clue, we just decided to see how embarrassed we could make Jamie.

The same could not be said about Country Western Trivia. While we can line dance, we don’t know jack about Country Western stuff. I think we got 5 answers right the whole time and two were absolutely guesses. As they say ‘ even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while’ and you can’t get more country than that.

Ally thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the game shows, as well as Country Western night. Jamie even took her around the dance floor once. We line danced and played the bang, bang game, did the tush push challenge and then stayed for Do You Wanna Be A Rockstar in which Sam and Kim went a little bananas. It was a lot of fun.

Today is dominated by Haines. Our tour starts at 1100 and gets back to the ship at 1430. So we have time to do a leisurely breakfast and get back to the ship in time for our 1730 Sabattini’s dinner. Tonight there is the Words and Music production show, the yes/no game show, a tribute to Neal Diamond by Robert Ondras in Vista, nothing shows up on MUTS, so I’m not sure what is happening there. There is a King Crab BBQ at trident grill, but no hours on the patter.

That’s the quick and dirty for the day. Got to get up and moving, get Judy her coffee in bed…

Later!

i am really enjoying your live thread... feels like I am right there

I can confirm that the lead singers do sing. I know quite a few lead singers and they do sing. They take it very seriously and go to great lengths to take care of their voice. I am sure they would be happy to hear all the great things you said about the shows.

Vickie

Hi Charles, are there any bars with TVs showing live sports? The NBA Finals will be on while I am cruising next week and hoping to find a spot to watch the games... Thanks!

Both of them are showing various sports channels, but I'm not sure about the finals. typically they will show big games like that on MUTS.