What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

So, we're just three days into the very first post-refit cruise and proclaiming the entire overhaul a complete success? Yeah, right. Let's give it some time, and a few more (dozens of) reviews, before we start cutting the cake. It'll be interesting to hear from more than just one person.

:rolleyes:

Agree 100%

Also I just can't see how losing the entire Universal Lounge public space and adding 200 more passengers can be "Much Ado about Nothing"..

And still no IC ???.. :confused:

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

And still no IC ???.. :confused:

Srpilo

That seems to be the biggest outstanding question. At one point I thought an International Café was to be added, but there's been nothing since that reference to the shipbuilder's website to indicate it. Maybe houndlover can answer it.

The other biggie (to me) is that the now-defunct Universe Lounge once hosted "On the Bayou," a show that many said was Princess's best and one that could only be staged in this unique venue. Is that kaput?

Jim

I was just reading (by online translation) this article in a trade magazine talking about the refit of Island Princess, and I still don't see any mention of an International Cafe....

It's in Italian:

http://www.themeditelegraph.it/it/shipping/cruise-and-ferries/2015/05/26/primo-viaggio-post-refitting-per-island-princess-OSmCDFfEo2ZoBxtENRGMJO/index.html

:D

I was just reading (by online translation) this article in a trade magazine talking about the refit of Island Princess, and I still don't see any mention of an International Cafe....

It's in Italian:

http://www.themeditelegraph.it/it/shipping/cruise-and-ferries/2015/05/26/primo-viaggio-post-refitting-per-island-princess-OSmCDFfEo2ZoBxtENRGMJO/index.html

Its mindboggling. :cool:

Frank I think if Princess actually remodeled or added to the public areas maybe things would be different with the Island. But to me they just added cabins that only affect a few. They actually took away from the public areas. No IC to look forward to. Although I will be glad to see what they did with the Horizon Court but that's not much. I think most people now a days what to cruise on the latest and greatest so Princess can ask for more when it comes to the Royal and Regal. Old timers like me still like the smaller ships, but not too small :), and if the price and itinerary are right I will not hesitate to sail the Island again. :)

Joe

Aloha Joe...I have similar feelings & all of the other renovated Princess ships also have improved HCs so that's nothing unique to the Island and something we've already enjoyed on the Coral. ;)

I have also said that the Island & Coral are about 15,000 tons larger than the Sun-class ships yet both carry the same number of passengers. So there "may" have been enough public space for more passengers however I am skeptical that they originally built in enough dining room & galley space or enough berths to accommodate sufficient crew to handle more passengers.

Even if the Island & Coral had sufficient public space for additional passengers, to me that is no longer the case having removed the Universe Lounge which helped distribute passengers better with the Princess Theater which as I recall wasn't that large. These are my biggest concerns along with relocating the gym inside the ship which I haven't seen in any ship in decades. The loss of the aft viewing decks will also affect my enjoyment of these ships & they only added a larger Sanctuary to generate more income.

There are just too many negatives with the Island to still be near the top of my list of preferred ships. I hope that everyone sailing on the Island has a great cruise but having sailed both ships several times, I would only do it again for a great price on an itinerary we want to sail.

Maybe after these changes great prices will be the norm which has happened to this year's TA's back to the US. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

A passenger on the current cruise posted on another forum that there is no International Cafe . I will be on the next cruise leaving June 3 and will try to post my views however as this is my first cruise I'm not sure how valuable my opinion will be to anyone here. FWIW I totally intend to have a marvellous time and not suffer the depths of despair i apparently should be feeling according to some of the posts in this thread l

A passenger on the current cruise posted on another forum that there is no International Cafe . I will be on the next cruise leaving June 3 and will try to post my views however as this is my first cruise I'm not sure how valuable my opinion will be to anyone here. FWIW I totally intend to have a marvellous time and not suffer the depths of despair i apparently should be feeling according to some of the posts in this thread l

No depths of despair just a big disappointment. :(

Everyone does not have to feel the same way.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Your post-cruise insight will indeed be most valuable, especially to other first-time cruisers sailing Island Princess this summer. I'm sure posting a Live thread is out of the question, but please do come back once you settled back home and give us a cruise review with any pictures you can share.

I am booked on summer 2015 12 day cruise out of Venice. I just found out my cabin is L715. This is one of the new cabins which may be great but in looking at the pictures the balcony appears not have any cover.

Just wondering what other thought and would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually seen these rooms. Not sure about the privacy of the balcony either.

Thanks

I am booked on summer 2015 12 day cruise out of Venice. I just found out my cabin is L715. This is one of the new cabins which may be great but in looking at the pictures the balcony appears not have any cover.

Just wondering what other thought and would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually seen these rooms. Not sure about the privacy of the balcony either.

Thanks

I think I would be worried more about being next to the teen center and the noise during the day. You only have the sanctuary above you so I'm not sure how many people will be standing by the railing looking down. I would think most would be on the lounge chairs napping. :)

I think I would be worried more about being next to the teen center and the noise during the day. You only have the sanctuary above you so I'm not sure how many people will be standing by the railing looking down. I would think most would be on the lounge chairs napping. :)

I was noticing that too, not a place (teen center) I would want to test. :(

You only have the sanctuary above you so I'm not sure how many people will be standing by the railing looking down. I would think most would be on the lounge chairs napping. :)

The Sanctuary closes at 5 and they have everything straightened up right after that and since it doesn't open until 8am so there should not be any noise during the off hours.

We are also in on of the new cabins on the Lido deck. I was also concerned that the balcony was not covered. We are sailing in Sept , I think most of the teens should be in school, and most days will be in port....should not be a problem....we like to be on the high decks , however we do feel the vibrations , but other than that it's nice and quiet and great views!!!!

I am currently on the Island Princess. I had been very worried about the Island Refit, but have to say we are having an absolutely amazing cruise! Ok, for specifics, the new aft sections cabins are not all occupied. They are still working on the new section. Yes, the back of the ship is really ugly. We spent the first day really lamenting the loss of the full promenade and the loss of the wonderful gym. The gym is way too small. However, we have been exercising by jogging around the promenade (and going through the aft doors, across to the other side of the ship). Then into the gym for some weight lifting. Not a biggie. We have not missed the Universal Lounge at all. We have excellent band in Crooners and Wheelhouse. The performers. singers and dancers have been great. Except for time in the gym, we have not felt crowded. However we are told that some of the cabins weren't ready, so that we are not sailing full. We have a wonderful table for two, but there are very few tables for two, and many more large tables to compensate. There is a new Mediterrean menu and we have really enjoyed the food. I am elite on Princess, and have been very pleased with the food and the service.

I am happy with the layout of the new Horizon Court, and the ports are incredible.

Yes, I am not pleased with the changes made to Island Princess, but want to insure you that we are having an amazing time.

I am currently on the Island Princess. I had been very worried about the Island Refit, but have to say we are having an absolutely amazing cruise! Ok, for specifics, the new aft sections cabins are not all occupied. They are still working on the new section. Yes, the back of the ship is really ugly. We spent the first day really lamenting the loss of the full promenade and the loss of the wonderful gym. The gym is way too small. However, we have been exercising by jogging around the promenade (and going through the aft doors, across to the other side of the ship). Then into the gym for some weight lifting. Not a biggie. We have not missed the Universal Lounge at all. We have excellent band in Crooners and Wheelhouse. The performers. singers and dancers have been great. Except for time in the gym, we have not felt crowded. However we are told that some of the cabins weren't ready, so that we are not sailing full. We have a wonderful table for two, but there are very few tables for two, and many more large tables to compensate. There is a new Mediterrean menu and we have really enjoyed the food. I am elite on Princess, and have been very pleased with the food and the service.

I am happy with the layout of the new Horizon Court, and the ports are incredible.

Yes, I am not pleased with the changes made to Island Princess, but want to insure you that we are having an amazing time.

Thank you for the update. You didn't mention an International Café. Has one been added?

Thank you! This is encouraging! My friend and I just booked a cruise for next year on the Island. Neither of us have been on the Island before, so there will be nothing to compare it to. It will be interesting to see what difference sailing full will make. Fortunately, I'm not really into the public spaces much, so will spend most of my time on the balcony anyway, but it would just be nice to see what difference those two hundred extra passengers make.

Thanks so much for the feedback CRUISER94044, very helpful and insightful.

May I ask if you can find out if they have a Happy Hour (BOGOF) on Island, I can't seem to find the info anywhere? If they do which Bar do they use? Hopefully it will be in your Princess Patter or maybe a steward will know if you have not been yourselves?

Much appreciated if you can clarify for me as this impacts whether we buy the inclusive drinks package or not.

Barry.

No International Cafe :eek:Does that mean we will not get a good cup of coffee or be able to use our coffee cards for blended mocha or lattes.??????:confused:

Or does that mean it will just not have salads, sandwiches, donuts, & small desserts??????:confused:

Its making me hungry just talking about it. Please, please let us know anyone that is on the ship right now. You can make your answer really short

Thanks

No International Cafe :eek:Does that mean we will not get a good cup of coffee or be able to use our coffee cards for blended mocha or lattes.??????:confused:

Or does that mean it will just not have salads, sandwiches, donuts, & small desserts??????:confused:

Its making me hungry just talking about it. Please, please let us know anyone that is on the ship right now. You can make your answer really short

Thanks

You always have the Patisserie for coffee on deck 5. There is no IC on the Island.

Thanks for reporting in from your cruise. :)

Thanks

Without an IC there will only be a tray or 2 of pastries or small finger sandwiches at the atrium bar "La Patisserie". Its always been a bummer after experiencing the IC on other ships then not having it on the Island. :(

Yes no food but they still have the cookie monster come by with milk and warm cookies around 3 pm. I know not the same but still it's a nice treat. :) And the finger sandwiches are ok. Hey more room for dinner.

Edited by waltd

Looks more like a cargo ship than a cruise ship.

Even cargo ships can look nice too. Remember the NS Savannah? That is a gorgeous ship. And I've seen plenty of cargo ships with some pretty nice lines to them.

Island Princess does look 'altered' - no so much in a good way - but there are worst looking cruise ships out there. I remember when lots of folks jumped on the 'I hate Allure of the Seas' bandwagon. And that ship looks like a giant cattle carrier. But on the inside, when you're strolling through Central Park at night, or enjoying dinner in one of the many fine restaurants (you should see 150 Central Park), walking down the expansive Royal Promenade, or watching some of the great entertainment, you couldn't care less what the outside of the ship looks like.

I'm sure, on the inside, Island Princess is a lovely ship; her atrium, the Princess Theater, the various restaurants, and the many other public spaces. Just don't sneak up on her from behind. It's not a pretty sight. But as the old saying goes: I'm not cruising on the 'outside' of the ship. ;)

Edited by dmwnc1959