Cruising Princess with an ICD (defibrillator)

zumbalover

My husband recently had an ICD implanted after a sudden cardiac arrest. We have cancelled our summer cruise as he recovers, and are planning now for next year. However this has raised some questions for us for travelling in the future---hopefully someone here has some experience with ICDs and can answer some questions for us.

We are looking at booking a Princess cruise to the Baltics for next summer.

Does anyone have experience on Princess or taking long flights with an ICD implanted? He has a card to carry with him and we know about the security screening, but are there any other things we need to take into consideration?

Do we need to let Princess know ahead of time about the ICD?

Has anyone had the misfortune of having one go off while travelling, and if so, what did you do? Is the medical centre on Princess equipped to deal with ICDs?

He is understandably nervous about travelling, we are in our early 50s and hope to have many years to travel, so any information or tips that anyone can pass on would be appreciated!

I would call Princess to ask your questions about when on the ship.

Do not depend on this forum for the answers you need.

As for the airline flights, check with the airlines you might use.

My husband recently had an ICD implanted after a sudden cardiac arrest. We have cancelled our summer cruise as he recovers, and are planning now for next year. However this has raised some questions for us for travelling in the future---hopefully someone here has some experience with ICDs and can answer some questions for us.

We are looking at booking a Princess cruise to the Baltics for next summer.

Does anyone have experience on Princess or taking long flights with an ICD implanted? He has a card to carry with him and we know about the security screening, but are there any other things we need to take into consideration?

Do we need to let Princess know ahead of time about the ICD?

Has anyone had the misfortune of having one go off while travelling, and if so, what did you do? Is the medical centre on Princess equipped to deal with ICDs?

He is understandably nervous about travelling, we are in our early 50s and hope to have many years to travel, so any information or tips that anyone can pass on would be appreciated!

Perhaps having this conversation with your husband's cardiologist is in order. Too many what ifs that should be answered by the patient's cardiologist.

I also have an ICD and have taken Three cruises since receiving it, two 15 day cruises and a shorter one. Depending on the manufacturer there are many countries that have representatives that can service and care for the ICD. Actually the bigger issue is how is his overall cardiac profile? We took a cross country flight from California to Florida with no problem. Over all having the ICD is like an insurance policy and a good thing to have that should not affect your cruise

Happy Cruising

My hubby has a pacemaker....same cautions apply. He can't be "wanded" going thru security...ask for a hand search. That's all! Very easy! Do carry the card...but that's really the only restriction.

IF he should have an "incident", they will in all probability, send him off the ship to a medical facility...have insurance for that! His cardiologist is the one to say if he CAN travel.

Edited by cb at sea

I should clarify...he has been told that he is free to travel within the country at the moment, and that international travel can happen after 3 months so that he can get insurance. His cardiac function is good---they haven't figured out what caused the arrest because his heart if fine. Fortunately he was very fit before his arrest which helps with recovery.

Because this is all so new to us, we are really looking for other people's experiences cruising with an ICD. The cardiologist said to just 'go back to your normal life' which is a little hard to do given that 2 weeks ago he was in ICU. They've even said he is free to return to work whenever he feels up to it!

Thanks for the information about representatives in different countries...that is helpful to know!

What you and your husband just experienced was extremely traumatic. It will take time to recover from the stress of the event. As a retired RN with lots of cardiac experience I can tell you that there are many people that you see everyday with pacemakers and implanted defibrillators getting on with their normal lives. Trust your cardiologist.

...IF he should have an "incident", they will in all probability, send him off the ship to a medical facility...have insurance for that...

And DEFINITELY look into Medjet Assist or a similar company for evacuation and repatriation coverage to a facility near your home. Many travel and personal medical policies will only cover transport to the nearest facility that can treat you, which may be far from home and family.

We had a similar experience. My husband had a very bad episode of A-Fib with the symptoms of a heart attack. Was out of the blue, never had any heart problems etc. Was in the cardiac ICU for 2 days. They never discovered why it happened. It really scared me. I told my husband that I did not feel comfortable traveling far from home anymore as we never knew what was going to happen or when. He told his cardiologist this one visit when I was at work. The cardiologist called me (he was the best) and told me that I needed to try to get over my fear and to go and live our lives as we could sit home and the A-fib might never happen again. That one should not sit around in fear of what may happen. Well, we did just that. It happened in 1998 and we have since travelled all over the country and have taken 31 cruises to various points in the world. Did he have the A-fib again. Well, yes but it was sporadic and luckily always at home. He now has a pacemaker for a different reason which also helps with any A-fib that may happen.

Your situation is more serious than my husband's was/is as he had an arrest but as the other's have said, give yourself some time to adjust to the situation and listen to the cardiologist. Maybe you could feel more secure if the cardiologist explains what will happen and what should be done if indeed the defibrillator goes off while you are traveling. Then you will be prepared with the knowledge you need.

Hope this helps and you guys have and enjoy many travels in the future.

For your husband to travel, he needs to both talk to his cardiologist and examine his own comfort level. If he does decide to travel, I would also strongly suggest that he secure some form of coverage for international medical evacuation. (He may already have it as a benefit of his credit cards. Check that first before spending for insurance.)

Beyond that, I can only offer my own experience as something to consider. (Needless to say, his medical situation may be entirely different. Thus, the chat with his cardiologist.) At 57 I had a heart attack and 5 bypasses. Five months later I collapsed in a V-Tach episode (pulse rate 234), and that caused an ICD implant. When I had my bypasses, I was told I would probably get "10 good years" out of them. I am now 65. In the last 8 years I have taken 18 domestic trips and 23 international ones, including 17 cruises. Very fortunately, I have never had another incident of any kind.

As to logistical details, they are few:

(1) Carry your card all you want- I still do- but nobody ever will ask for it or show the slightest interest if you offer it.

(2) Never pass through a metal detector or allow anybody to use a magnetic hand wand. In the U.S. or on a cruise ship, simply say "Pacemaker" and you will be led around the detector or ushered to the radiation back-scatter machine, which is fine for an ICD. (Always say "Pacemaker" and not "ICD." Few security guards know what an ICD is, but they do know how to deal with a pacemaker.) Be alert with hand wands: some guards are so used to employing them that they will not remember that they can't do so in your case. Outside the U.S., especially in non-English-speaking countries, a simple double-tap on your ICD will convey the message with amazing universality. Be prepared for some humorous situations: more than once, the guard's response has been to hold up the plug of the metal detector to show it is not even plugged in. More often, you will be waved around without so much as a pat-down.

(3) Do what you feel comfortable with, but I would strongly advise against pre-alerting a cruise line or travel company that you have an ICD. You are simply inviting needless upset. Think about it: who are you going to call- the same Customer Service reps that are clueless about every other detail and who regularly issue all sorts of misinformation? So long as you are covered for med-evac, it is simply your business- not theirs.

(4) Length of flight should mean nothing. Your cardiologist will advise.

(5) Live long and live well. When the end does come, you will only regret the opportunities you did not take.

An online forum is the last place you should contact for medical advice!

I understand that people do mean well but we are all strangers to you without any proof of our claims.

Please talk to his cardiologist, and the company that makes his ICD(specifically the rep who has a relationship with the cardiologist).

To count on reliable information in such an informal setting is not wise.

I am a board certified physician but would not give advice to someone I have never met.

Good luck with your plans and I hope you are able to take that cruise!

Your cardiologist is your best resource. Each persons case is unique. That being said my husband has and ICD and has no restrictions traveling. We just came off the 111 day World Cruise. He can go through security without being wanded. As long as he doesn't stop he's fine. It's the same for those security doors in department stores. Just walk through without stopping. Even at airports he can go through the body scanner without issue.

Let his cardiologist know what your plans are and let him tell you what's required. Don't let it stop you from living a full life.

Edited by cactusrose

I had my ICD implanted 23 days before we were to leave from SFO to FLL and a following TA on the Royal. Two weeks before we were to leave my cardiologist cleared me to fly (and even gave me a note to get early boarding):) 14 day TA+ a week in the UK then an extremely long, non stop flight back to SFO. Biggest problem???My worry that something was going to happen. OH and the fact that our cruise included the All You can drink package. Survived that also.

I would definitely consider a membership with a company like AirMed. If your husband were to have a medical event while traveling they will arrange transport and medical repatriation to the hospital of your choice. So if you're in London and he is hospitalized they will send an air ambulance and medical team to retrieve him and fly him home to the hospital of your choice. This service is covered 100% with their membership. Their membership doors nut replace travel insurance though.

(3) Do what you feel comfortable with, but I would strongly advise against pre-alerting a cruise line or travel company that you have an ICD. You are simply inviting needless upset. Think about it: who are you going to call- the same Customer Service reps that are clueless about every other detail and who regularly issue all sorts of misinformation? So long as you are covered for med-evac, it is simply your business- not theirs.

From the Princess cruise contract that every passenger agrees to:

You, Your travel agent, or any person booking on Your behalf is requested to inform Carrier at the time of booking and in writing of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise

Wow, just plain bad advice! This information would be handled by the medical department not a customer service/reservation person, and is not something handled over the phone. :(

Wow, just plain bad advice! This information would be handled by the medical department not a customer service/reservation person, and is not something handled over the phone.

I knew that would get some people upset, but I stand by it. I have no confidence whatsoever in the motivations of any type of corporate employee, medical or not, to render an unbiased, fact-based judgment on a matter in which their employer has a financial or legal standing. There are only two important parties here: the individual and his cardiologist. Although I would have said the same thing regardless of what cruise line was involved, Princess (which remains my favorite, by the way) is also the line that doesn't want you even to order a hamburger that is not cooked at least medium-well. Their nanny attitude serves only them.

My advice remains:

(1) Get the best medical advice you can from a trusted professional.

(2) Make your own decision and keep your own counsel.

(3) Damn the torpedoes.

I knew that would get some people upset, but I stand by it. I have no confidence whatsoever in the motivations of any type of corporate employee, medical or not, to render an unbiased, fact-based judgment on a matter in which their employer has a financial or legal standing. There are only two important parties here: the individual and his cardiologist.

My advice remains:

(1) Get the best medical advice you can from a trusted professional.

(2) Make your own decision and keep your own counsel.

(3) Damn the torpedoes.

You left out

(4) do not allow the cruise company to inform the potential passenger if they can handle a medical emergency that might occur with this device.

You left out

(4) do not allow the cruise company to inform the potential passenger if they can handle a medical emergency that might occur with this device.

Actually, I take it for granted that they can not. That is why I have medical evacuation coverage. If I am correct in my assumption, I am covered. If I am incorrect, it will be a pleasant surprise and I will be doubly covered.

That is a risk I choose to take. What I am not willing to risk is allowing my personal decisions to be made by a corporate bean-counter, especially when time and opportunities may be running out. Others may choose differently. Best wishes to them. Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy my remaining time to the fullest, which is to say that I have trips to plan! I offered my experiences as a help to the OP. Having done that, I am done with this discussion.

From the Princess cruise contract that every passenger agrees to:

You, Your travel agent, or any person booking on Your behalf is requested to inform Carrier at the time of booking and in writing of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise

An ICD hardly falls under this description. The ICD does not require any special needs nor is it a condition for which you or any other person in your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the cruise.

The advice to talk to the device rep is a solid one. They can, and will, identify cardiologists or better still a cardiac electrophysiologist in each port that is familiar with the device if needed.

I don't know how your husband's telemetry works, but it's unlikely to be compatible with the CellAtSea Network or be able to sign in to the WiFi. So if he has nightly upload, Europe could be a challenge. With a port intensive, if the telemetry device does wifi, a prepaid hotspot can work wonders.

The typical advice for those who have music and their man, but require a device to have rhythm is that one discharge requires them to upload and two discharges in 24 hours requires them to seek medical attention - hence why the ability to upload and knowing in advance who at each port can read your brand is so important

The device can fire anywhere. You can sit around and die of old age waiting for it to happen, or you can admit that it's a safety net that specifically enables you to resume an essentially normal life. I would go with the latter.

The advice to talk to the device rep is a solid one. They can, and will, identify cardiologists or better still a cardiac electrophysiologist in each port that is familiar with the device if needed.

I don't know how your husband's telemetry works, but it's unlikely to be compatible with the CellAtSea Network or be able to sign in to the WiFi. So if he has nightly upload, Europe could be a challenge. With a port intensive, if the telemetry device does wifi, a prepaid hotspot can work wonders.

The typical advice for those who have music and their man, but require a device to have rhythm is that one discharge requires them to upload and two discharges in 24 hours requires them to seek medical attention - hence why the ability to upload and knowing in advance who at each port can read your brand is so important

The device can fire anywhere. You can sit around and die of old age waiting for it to happen, or you can admit that it's a safety net that specifically enables you to resume an essentially normal life. I would go with the latter.

Great advice! Thanks.