The end of FREE kids places on MSC

Skier52

Browsing my UK 2015/2016 MSC brochure and my UK 2016/2017 MSC brochure I've noticed an mportant change in some very small print

in the 2015/2016 brochure the wording is

Children under 18 cruise free when sharing the cabin................

However in the 2016/2017 catologue the wording is

.......children under 18 pay a reduced fare all year round when sharing.......................

2015/2016

kids15_16.jpg

2016/2017 brochure

kids16_17.jpg

They've kept this quiet!!!

UNTIL NOW

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Here in North America MSC has been free only up to age eleven for nearly a year. 3rd and 4th guests usually get a reduced price, but that is true for most lines much of the time. Either way, the advertised base price for a cabin is always increased when booking for more than two. One good thing, MSC only charges half gratuity for ages upto 17.

They never cruise free so that is misleading - you always pay port charges - so maybe they are trying to stop the arguments when they charge your account with port charges for the kids.

:confused::confused::confused:

It could be to stop the arguments over port fees and taxes or he could be yet another pricing policy change introduced by Mr Hawke. There were no announcements when they went after solos last year, in fact the opposite, they lied in a webinar about their change in pricing and availability. So perhaps families are their next target in trying to get more revenue.

Here in North America MSC has been free only up to age eleven for nearly a year. 3rd and 4th guests usually get a reduced price, but that is true for most lines much of the time. Either way, the advertised base price for a cabin is always increased when booking for more than two. One good thing, MSC only charges half gratuity for ages upto 17.

NOT ANY MORE !!

In the UK 2015/2016 Brochure the Service charge table has children 14 and over paying full service charge and in the 2016/2017 the age goes down to

13 and over

Again they've buried bad news in the small print, and what's more all regions except the caribbean get increases in the amount of service charge as well

2015/2016 UK Brochure

SC%202015_16.jpg

2016/2017 Brochure

SC%202016_17.jpg

Edited by Skier52

They are slowly removing all aspects that make them attractive. We are keeping our eyes open for good deals with other lines. Fortunately, lots of new ships are currently being added everywhere.

They are slowly removing all aspects that make them attractive. We are keeping our eyes open for good deals with other lines. Fortunately, lots of new ships are currently being added everywhere.

I agree with that sentiment.

Honestly I expected MSC to withdraw their generous free child place offers before now.

I read elsewhere that GH's sidekick from P&O who he brought in as MSC UK Commercial Director has left the company with immediate effect and has been replaced by an Italian from Napoli HO.

Could be interesting.

Annie

I agree with that sentiment.

Honestly I expected MSC to withdraw their generous free child place offers before now.

I read elsewhere that GH's sidekick from P&O who he brought in as MSC UK Commercial Director has left the company with immediate effect and has been replaced by an Italian from Napoli HO.

Could be interesting.

Annie

I fully understand that they like other cruise companies are constantly looking at ways to reduce cost and increase revenue. However constantly changing procing particularly all these changes where rather than say we've had to increase prices by x, they attempt to hide them. Consumers are not that stupid that they don't notice and will vote with their feet. There is so much competition in the travel market and it is entirely discretionary unlike rising costs of food and energy.

They made such a big deal that their cores values are all about the family......

They have these seaside projects coming bringing a big increase in capacity, yet they've already decreased the advantage they had with solos, no they will have fewer families booking.

What way do the port charges work? We are travelling In July and our son will be 18 months at the time. Does price we pay include charges for him or will we owe money at end?

Pity free child places going as it was a big incentive to book a cruise this year for us and would have been something we considered as he got older too.

What way do the port charges work? We are travelling In July and our son will be 18 months at the time. Does price we pay include charges for him or will we owe money at end?

Pity free child places going as it was a big incentive to book a cruise this year for us and would have been something we considered as he got older too.

MrsBraxton your port charges are on your invoice which you pay before you cruise. They are not added to your onboard account.

The Port charges are paid by MSC to the port authority of the places that you dock for every passenger onboard. Everyone pays them even children that travel "free".

Edited by Janet&Carl

Skier52 you are always posting good info :) Thank you

I have checked the Spanish site and that says the exact same thing.

Have you tried to do a booking to see how much MSC might be charging? I have tried a few times but keep receiving a message to say 'Please try again later' !!

Might have to start cruising without the daughter :D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plan B viewpost.gif

Skier52 you are always posting good info :) Thank you

I have checked the Spanish site and that says the exact same thing.

Have you tried to do a booking to see how much MSC might be charging? I have tried a few times but keep receiving a message to say 'Please try again later' !!

Might have to start cruising without the daughter

Here you go a dummy booking , without any MSC Club discount, for two adults and 1 child in march 2017 in a Fantastica Balcony cabin.

Adu;ts £649

Child £339

That's a 48% discount

child%20reduced.jpg

And now with 2 adults , I child (13-17) and 1 child aged 9(12 or under)

Adult £649

Child 13 - 17 £339

child 12 and under £199 a 70% discount

reduced%20child%202.jpg

Pete

Last edited by Skier52; Today at 01:03 PM.

progress.gif

Edited by Skier52

Skier52

I've tried the exact booking on the Spanish system and at a price of 2,476euro for 2 ad, 1 child and 1 teen. But, the split is 909euro per ad and 329euro per child/teen regardless of age - although you do have to input the age. The Spanish system always shows the cost of the cruise and the port taxes separately, for some reason!

I can't do the thing where you copy the screen shot into here:( I tried an attachment and that wasn't it??

Skier52

I've tried the exact booking on the Spanish system and at a price of 2,476euro for 2 ad, 1 child and 1 teen. But, the split is 909euro per ad and 329euro per child/teen regardless of age - although you do have to input the age. The Spanish system always shows the cost of the cruise and the port taxes separately, for some reason!

I can't do the thing where you copy the screen shot into here:( I tried an attachment and that wasn't it??

I capture the screen shot with Microsoft paint and crop it then save on my computer

I then upload it to PHOTOBUCKET, which is free

and from there I copy the DIRECT CODING and INSERT into a post using the square picture of a mountain (the insert image) icon , it's reallly easy if you have a PHOTOBUCKET ACCOUNT. You can also use flickr or picasa web or any of the photo hosting sites

Capture your screen shot with PAINT and crop and save as

posting1.jpg

upload into PHOTOBUCKET

posting%202.jpg

copy the DIRECT CODING ( just a single click in the box containing the coding, it goes yellow for a moment and says copied)

posting%203.jpg

use the insert image icon to add the image to the post

posting%204.jpg

job done

Pete