When you pre purchase the Cheers Program

IMSAILING

Curious as to why anyone would prepurchase Cheers?

It costs the same either way.

You buy it from the first bartender you buy a drink from, so it's not like there is any way you would ever wait "extra" time to buy it.

I buy insurance for my cruise and all other vacation expenses , but I don't see a reason to add extra $$$ prepaid that I may have to deal with trying to get a refund for later.

Is there something I'm missing, or is it just the "fun" of planning that makes people spend money months before they need to?

You buy it from the first bartender you buy a drink from, so it's not like there is any way you would ever wait "extra" time to buy it.

I buy insurance for my cruise and all other vacation expenses , but I don't see a reason to add extra $$$ prepaid that I may have to deal with trying to get a refund for later.

Is there something I'm missing, or is it just the "fun" of planning that makes people spend money months before they need to?

Because I like to have things done and out of the way. They offer it to purchase ahead of time, so it's not really mysterious why someone would.

I've never purchased Cheers, but if I know I want it, I'll likely gone and get it so it's done and out of the way. Aside from that, no I don't think you're missing anything that's a big deal.

To the question about tax and pre-purchasing, I went all the way to the end just to see and no sales tax was added.

This didn't happen on our recent Breeze cruise.

We had to go to a special table set up in the Atrium in front of the bar and buy the stickers. It didn't take very long, but it wasn't as simple as you say.

gary

This didn't happen on our recent Breeze cruise.

We had to go to a special table set up in the Atrium in front of the bar and buy the stickers. It didn't take very long, but it wasn't as simple as you say.

gary

First off, the sticker doesn't mean anything, mine peeled off in the pool day one. Second, you didn't have to go to the table, the bartender standing behind you at the Atrium bar can also add cheers. I skipped the 50 person line, went for a drink and he was able to do it no line

Next taxes are paI'd on drinks while in port, they fixed the online issue that was charging tax

Edited by pbsteve

First off, the sticker doesn't mean anything, mine peeled off in the pool day one. Second, you didn't have to go to the table, the bartender standing behind you at the Atrium bar can also add cheers. I skipped the 50 person line, went for a drink and he was able to do it no line

Next taxes are paI'd on drinks while in port, they fixed the online issue that was charging tax

We went directly to the Atrium bar (with Platinum cards) and they couldn't sell us Cheers.

They directed us to the table set up across the floor.

I definitely understand that the sticker doesn't mean anything at all -- the computer knows, but we had to go to the table to add it to our accounts.

gary

p.s. No idea what 'Next taxes' are.

We went directly to the Atrium bar (with Platinum cards) and they couldn't sell us Cheers.

They directed us to the table set up across the floor.

I definitely understand that the sticker doesn't mean anything at all -- the computer knows, but we had to go to the table to add it to our accounts.

gary

p.s. No idea what 'Next taxes' are.

This.

We were also turned away from the atrium bar and sent to stand in line at the table in order to get the stickers applied and we still had to go through the rules spiel. I didn't really see the benefit and was hoping that the stickers would be applied upon receiving the sail and sign. I didn't really see the benefit. This was on Imagination on 9/24.

Curious as to why anyone would prepurchase Cheers? It costs the same either way.

It only costs the same either way if the cruise line doesn't raise the price. See the threads on NCL where they've jacked the price of their similar program. Those who bought in ahead of Oct 1st are grandfathered, anyone else pays the new higher price.

It only costs the same either way if the cruise line doesn't raise the price. See the threads on NCL where they've jacked the price of their similar program. Those who bought in ahead of Oct 1st are grandfathered, anyone else pays the new higher price.

Great point.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

This.

We were also turned away from the atrium bar and sent to stand in line at the table in order to get the stickers applied and we still had to go through the rules spiel. I didn't really see the benefit and was hoping that the stickers would be applied upon receiving the sail and sign. I didn't really see the benefit. This was on Imagination on 9/24.

If I were a bartender at the Atrium Bar and there was a table selling Cheers 10 feet from me, I'd tell you to go over there too.

Our last cruise in January my wife and I purchased our Cheers from the bartender at one of the bars on Lido Deck shortly after boarding.

It would be really awesome if Carnival could start doing what Royal Caribbean already does, and permanently emblazon the symbol (for Cheers or Bottomless Bubbles) on your sign-and-sail card when you pre-pay for the program...something that's been possible via Royal's website since at least 2010. Less hassle, no stupid stickers, no waiting in line, etc.

(And don't get me started on the convenience of having soda machines available for use at any time by members of Royal's endless soda program, instead of having to waste some poor bartender's time getting a soda on Carnival.)

I pre-pay certain things, but only once I'm within final payment. It helps with budgeting as it spreads out the cruise expense across more than one credit card statement.

Sometimes I'll prepay things I know the wife would stop me from getting on board or surprises for her that are easier to arrange from a computer without her around. :)

If I were a bartender at the Atrium Bar and there was a table selling Cheers 10 feet from me, I'd tell you to go over there too.

Our last cruise in January my wife and I purchased our Cheers from the bartender at one of the bars on Lido Deck shortly after boarding.

Considering the atrium bar is one of the bars that is listed as selling Cheers, I don't know what difference it makes.

I just thought of a great reason to pre-purchase. I will be using $$ for my sail & sign, but with pre-purchasing Cheers, I can use a credit card to pay & not have to worry about carrying the extra cash to pay for it.

I swore I would never purchase it again because last cruise I didin't even break even. I think the bartender I used during the day at the pool was really making some strong drinks, because after 3 I would be pretty well looped & didn't drink the rest of the day.

But, right now, with the excitement of planning the cruise - I'm thinking, surely I can drink 5 - 6 drinks a day - I just need to spread them out. (lol)

I'm thinking, surely I can drink 5 - 6 drinks a day - I just need to spread them out. (lol)

My challenge isn't hitting 5-6 drinks per day even on port days, it's that my DW simply doesn't drink very much. The results of my trying to drink two Cheers packages worth aren't very pretty (or pleasant). :eek:

Edited by dd2355