Planning my first

JeffKoz

Very interesting thread. I am also researching for our first river cruise which will be in 2018. First thing I did was read Berlitz River Cruising in Europe. It's a great way to become familiar with the whole concept as well as the various companies and rivers.

We have pretty much decided on a 15-day Amsterdam to Budapest. The same as you? I've narrowed the companies down to AMA, Uniworld and Tauck. AMA is probably at the top of our list with Tauck in second place. Tauck stays on the list because it is all inclusive and the excursions are the ones most lines charge extra for if they offer them at all. Downside with Tauck is their docking locations. They are a small company so they don't get the best. Uniworld is third because while we enjoyed Versailles I'm not a fan of all the fou-fou.

I will watch this thread to see all the various inputs.

Judy

Very interesting thread. I am also researching for our first river cruise which will be in 2018. First thing I did was read Berlitz River Cruising in Europe. It's a great way to become familiar with the whole concept as well as the various companies and rivers.

We have pretty much decided on a 15-day Amsterdam to Budapest. The same as you? I've narrowed the companies down to AMA, Uniworld and Tauck. AMA is probably at the top of our list with Tauck in second place. Tauck stays on the list because it is all inclusive and the excursions are the ones most lines charge extra for if they offer them at all. Downside with Tauck is their docking locations. They are a small company so they don't get the best. Uniworld is third because while we enjoyed Versailles I'm not a fan of all the fou-fou.

Judy

Yes..Amsterdam-Budapest is my current plan... This has been a most helpful exchange and now it is more of a final choice...i'm sure I will go through several more iterations of the lines at the top of my list...and one never knows, I may re-look at others.... fou fou and a lot of luxury things would be wasted on us...the stops and the attention in ports is what i'm looking for..

I am going on my first River

Cruise next summer. Budapest to

Amsterdam on Tauck. I chose Tauck for their reputation as well

as the fact that they were not charging a single supplement for certain categories of cabins. That sold it for me since I am traveling solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judy

Judy,

Those are great lines, but also on the high end for price.

I am going on my first River

Cruise next summer. Budapest to

Amsterdam on Tauck. I chose Tauck for their reputation as well

as the fact that they were not charging a single supplement for certain categories of cabins. That sold it for me since I am traveling solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi:)....I took my first River Cruise back in April on AMA Waterways.

They have no single supplement on certain cabin categories as well.

I was reading this thread with interest.....I would recommend AMA

very highly. It was in my top 2 cruises ever:D.....I was wanting to

sail with them again in 2017 but life isn't allowing......hoping I can

sail with them in 2018 for my 60th birthday. And I always sail solo;)

I hope you have a great cruise!:)

Judy

The importance of docking location depends on you travel style. A "good" location is important if you want to get out and about on your own; not so important if you plan to mainly stick with the group.

Judy,

Those are great lines, but also on the high end for price.

4774 Papa,

Yes I know they are on the higher end of things. We've had friends do a couple of the less expensive lines. They felt that when all was said and done, they had spent so much that they might as well have booked with a higher end company.

Judy

The importance of docking location depends on you travel style. A "good" location is important if you want to get out and about on your own; not so important if you plan to mainly stick with the group.

Well.... If I were in Paris I would want to see the Eiffel Tower from the ship. No excuses. Also, depending on the itinerary the afternoon is usually free. It is much more enjoyable to be able to stroll off the ship and do whatever you decide. It is easy to do on the Rhine. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4774 Papa,

Yes I know they are on the higher end of things. We've had friends do a couple of the less expensive lines. They felt that when all was said and done, they had spent so much that they might as well have booked with a higher end company.

Judy

Judy,

If you take the time to research what is include and what is extra for the different cruise lines, then it becomes more clear.

I would agree with you about some lines like gate1 that are the real budget lines, their prices are very low and much is extra. Not so with Vantage.

Sure, some people like going first class airfare where you pay 4 or 5 times the coach fare. Those people probably don't have a budget.

I have about $20K a year to spend on travel and find the I can do two great trips a year. There are cruise lines that provide great products for less, where the experience is only marginally better.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Gate 1 has popped up on my radar based on a recent review posted. Seems to be priced good and has the same core itinerary... anyone have experiences with them? The one review made it sound as if the excursions could be better by getting you inside places, so that is a concern (unless the cost to get in some of these places is minimal)