Problem booking Scenic excursions: Scenic UK don't care

Balloon Man

We booked our October Scenic Sapphire Rhone cruise in June 2015. Yesterday, 20 September 2016, we received a first communication from Scenic, via our TA: an excellent pair of back-packs and a very nice wallet that included our flights, transfers and cabin details, together with an itinerary that showed several excursions had been booked for us - but not the ones we wanted.

An email to Scenic UK drew the response that our TA should have asked us earlier what excursions we would have liked and that if they were not fully booked we could arrange them once on the ship.

This will be our first river cruise having sailed the seas with the likes of Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea, Azamara and Oceania for many years. Lines who put the customer first.

Scenic UK's policy seems to be pass the buck to the TA - "Oh, and in any case you are too late; maybe the Cruise Director will be able to help you once on-board." Not good enough for a high-end cruise company at sea or on a river.

We booked this cruise because I am a fan of French Rhone wines. I was looking forward to the tastings. My wife has minor back problems that make walking too far difficult. Allotted excursions do not include any tastings but lots of walking around - presumably the tours nobody else wanted.

Is AMA better?

We are set to travel in about 10 days with a booking though our TA and Scenic. It has been interesting as far as communication with them to say the least. I am sure they have there reasons. But if I call Scenic USA they say to contact my TA. My TA doesn't have this information and would be very simple for Scenic just to provide the information. As far side tours they require you to check your chooses around when our dead line for payment was due. Fine but 6 weeks from travel they won't let you view what you have picked and just says you bookings have now sent for final processing. I couldn't remember so I did call and they told me what we had choose but was told to talk to them once on board if we wanted to change.Apparently they have space for all but a few side trips to handle the numbers wanting to choose that tour. Good luck

We did a Rhine cruise on Scenic in June. We had pre booked a couple of excursions beforehand but were given more choices once onboard. I wouldn't worry or stress, no one had a list that they checked off names or took tickets, you simply showed up at the designated time and got on the bus. It was easy! I think the signup is to give them an idea of how many buses and guides they needed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We had a horrendous time last year with our TA who really got in the way of communications with Scenic. We have booked another cruise with Scenic for next year and have already chosen our first three tours online. The other tours you choose after you get onboard.

Try this:

1. Go to: https://www.scenic.com.au/tour/dutch-sights-belgian-delights/4039

I'm in the U.S. but I can see my booking on this site.

2. Look in the upper right hand corner and find "Manage Bookings"

3. Click on this and enter your booking number and last name. Your booking number should be on the receipt you received when you first booked the cruise. It's six digits.

4. Click on "Scenic Freechoice"

This is where you select your first few days of tours.

It may be too late to change your tours online but it was your TA's responsibility to inform you about the tour choices.

Our cruise director was very good about problem solving and we never had any problem getting the tours we wanted.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

We booked our October Scenic Sapphire Rhone cruise in June 2015. Yesterday, 20 September 2016, we received a first communication from Scenic, via our TA: an excellent pair of back-packs and a very nice wallet that included our flights, transfers and cabin details, together with an itinerary that showed several excursions had been booked for us - but not the ones we wanted.

An email to Scenic UK drew the response that our TA should have asked us earlier what excursions we would have liked and that if they were not fully booked we could arrange them once on the ship.

This will be our first river cruise having sailed the seas with the likes of Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea, Azamara and Oceania for many years. Lines who put the customer first.

Scenic UK's policy seems to be pass the buck to the TA - "Oh, and in any case you are too late; maybe the Cruise Director will be able to help you once on-board." Not good enough for a high-end cruise company at sea or on a river.

We booked this cruise because I am a fan of French Rhone wines. I was looking forward to the tastings. My wife has minor back problems that make walking too far difficult. Allotted excursions do not include any tastings but lots of walking around - presumably the tours nobody else wanted.

Is AMA better?

Howdy there Balloon Man,

Very interested in what you have to think about your cruise as Lisa and I Gary are also booked on the Sapphire but not until September 24,2017 waiting for the new redesign and the addition of The Vitality Pool, The Culinaire and also the new cabin category as we gave up our Royal Panorama Suite when Scenic called and offered to upgrade to The new Royal Owners Suites.

We are doing The Spectacular South Of France (Yes Wine Country) with Paris and Monte Carlo. The Sapphire , The Diamond and the Emerald are all getting a Make over for the 2017 cruising season.

Don't know why it seems that all seem to be having such a problem as myself I call directly to Scenic and talk with the same person as yes I do have their direct line number.

Hoping that you shall be able to possibly give us some pointers and maybe make some recommendations once you come back.

We did The Jewels of Europe last year in September on at The time the new Jasper and were in one of the newly redesigned Royal Panorama Suites and that was just pure Heaven.

We are also booked on a cruise on the Eclipse for October of 2018 for Cuba in Depth.

Yes we are Scenic fans and think that they are one of the few Top Of The Line All Inclusive River Cruise Lines and soon to be also Ocean Cruises as well.

Wishing you Smooth Sailings and please do say in touch as I have a Thread here on Cruise Critic Scenic Spectacular South Of France for 2017.

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Hi Balloon man, we did your cruise last year and it was fantastic, it was our fourth with Scenic. We have always booked directly with them. It would seem that your TA did not read the paperwork that they received when they first booked for you. On the second page of your booking confirmation under Trip Personaliser Requirements, you are asked to go on line to tp.scenicglobal.com to not only complete your personal details, passport number, emergency contact details and flight details as you may be eligible for transfers, you can also choose which excursions on two or three days that you would prefer to do. I fear that it is most probably to late for you to do this. Definatly not good on the part of your TA but don't worry look at your information you now have it should include your cruise directors email address maybe even the phone number for your piece of mind contact the CD now and let them know your position. Although in my opinion there will be no problem with changing your excursions they will know in advance and you will be more relaxed knowing you have started the ball rolling. Scenic will pull out all the stops to ensure that you enjoy your holiday have a great time the crew and staff on Sapphire are very good, the wines and food of the region are superb my fingers are crossed that it's not to hot for you enjoy and relax. CA

Scenic UK's policy seems to be pass the buck to the TA

... because it is your TA that has caused the problems for you.

You'll find it is common with many cruise lines that if you use a TA then the line communicates primarily with the TA, not with you.

For this reason many people elect to book direct when it is an option, or use a TA that knows the cruise line well and knows how things work so they can add to your experience, not get in the way and drop the ball.

Don't blame Scenic in this case, and don't anticipate huge issues when you get on-board either, just make you concerns known to the cruise director onboard and I'm sure they will be able to help get this sorted out for you.

Do not fear! You will be able to swap once on the boat.

Speak nicely to the Cruise Director and he will do the necessary. I speak from personal experience. 2 years ago we were on Jewels of Europe on Scenic Diamond and were booked to go and see the Vienna Riding School, only to discover the night before in the CD evening chat, that the horses wouldn't be there - the whole purpose of the visit! I spoke to the CD and he immediately swapped us to the trip to Bratislava.

Scenic use their own coaches, generally, and do not fill them to capacity, there is always space.

We are due to go on our 3rd Scenic river cruise in 3 weeks (Gems of the Seine). Apparently our tickets etc were sent yesterday, really looking forward to it.

Hi old biddy, you will love your cruise we did the very first one on the Gem and although we didn't get to dock in Honfleur caused by the slowness of French beaurocracy, it was a superb cruise. On one excursion we were the only takers so us two, a tour guide, a trainee plus our car driver Scenic could so easily have cancelled it but didn't. We have now done five Scenic cruises with our sixth booked for next year, I have never heard of anyone not being able to change their choice of excursion or an excursion being full. CA

Do not fear! You will be able to swap once on the boat.

Speak nicely to the Cruise Director and he will do the necessary. I speak from personal experience. 2 years ago we were on Jewels of Europe on Scenic Diamond and were booked to go and see the Vienna Riding School, only to discover the night before in the CD evening chat, that the horses wouldn't be there - the whole purpose of the visit! I spoke to the CD and he immediately swapped us to the trip to Bratislava.

Scenic use their own coaches, generally, and do not fill them to capacity, there is always space.

We are due to go on our 3rd Scenic river cruise in 3 weeks (Gems of the Seine). Apparently our tickets etc were sent yesterday, really looking forward to it.

Again a big thanks to CC. I really appreciate the info on the Vienna Riding School. We will differently ask about the horse. Was the trip to Bratislava long and did you enjoy it? Was concerned because really would like to do the enrichment trip to the concert of Strauss and Mozart which would be that night.

I am looking forward to sailing with Scenic and the couple with us sailed with AMA last year so will be interested to here there take on the two river cruises companies.

Also my TA got better answers from the UK office and also found the AU web site was more user friendly. Just the fun of planning and wanting to know how to make ones trip the best ever.

Did Bratislava tour last year. About an hour there in the bus; walking tour; some time in our own; nothing special train ride back. Rate the tour okay. Back in Vienna a coach met us at the train station. You could go back to the ship or be dropped off in central Vienna. We got off in central Vienna and took the subway to Schoenbrunn Palace. Took one of the shorter palace tours and then rode the road tram around the grounds and up to the Belvedere.

Subway back to near the ship and then walked to the dock. Cleaned up, ate dinner and went to the concert.

All this in one day!

... because it is your TA that has caused the problems for you.

You'll find it is common with many cruise lines that if you use a TA then the line communicates primarily with the TA, not with you.

Don't blame Scenic in this case, and don't anticipate huge issues when you get on-board either, just make you concerns known to the cruise director onboard and I'm sure they will be able to help get this sorted out for you.

Mark thank you but this has not been our experience with seagoing cruise lines - and we have sailed with many. Whether you book direct or via a TA you are given a reservation number. Then you go on-line, log-in and book excursions, drink packages, speciality dining etc.

Of course with Scenic you don't need to buy a drink package but it would be nice to know when we have been allocated meals in the the speciality restaurant (we are on Diamond deck) and to be able to plan more than three excursions in advance.

If Scenic want to engage with the sort of folk who sail Regent, Crystal, Silversea etc. then they need to understand that people need certainty, and with modern communication techniques that shouldn't be difficult.

Someone, not on CC, said this is a problem with the UK system and that in Australia (home to Scenic) you can do all these things on-line. True? I don't know.

Mark thank you but this has not been our experience with seagoing cruise lines - and we have sailed with many. Whether you book direct or via a TA you are given a reservation number. Then you go on-line, log-in and book excursions, drink packages, speciality dining etc.

You do have a booking number. Apparently your TA did not communicate this to you or point out that you could go online and choose the first few days tours.

Hi Balloon man, we have never had a problem choosing which evening we went to Lamour-French rivers, Portabello's the rest of Europe, on some cruises going twice, you could of course ask your butler to book it for you, the same goes for Table de Rive indicate to your butler which day you would prefer to go. Many of us like the freedom of booking our excursions when we are on board. Some river cruises are quite full on and others are less so sometimes you choose an excursion to suite the weather conditions or other passengers you meet. You may even decide to take a day off and relaxe on the sun deck. As far as I know although the Australian website is slightly more user friendly they have similar pre booking requirements as we do.

Here I am really sorry but who on earth are these so called certain folks are they a special breed or something. Ooh la la remind me not to book the Royal Suite again. CA

If you book through a travel agent they get paid by the cruise line to do the work that the cruise line will do for you if you book direct. So I don't find it surprising that the cruise line doesn't want to deal with you directly.

I understand that logic but they are providing a product that they are trying to get the public to try. There for I would do whatever it takes to give the traveler the best experience ever in hopes that they return and tell there friends how wonder and helpful this River company might be to travel with.

Edited by 515kitty