Gate 1 Russian River cruise Moscow to St Petersburg 2017

cruisy susy

Hi all We are booked this Gate 1 River cruise in August 2017. We have taken land cruises with Gate 1 but now River cruising with them will be something new. There isn't much on boards about Gate 1 River cruises yet that I an find ..SS wondering if anyone is taking this route and have information for us! Cruisy Susy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have read several posts on cc for Gate 1 and most people seem satisfied with their product. I know they are probably the number 1 budget line.

We did the trip with Vantage and loved it, but Vantage doesn't have this cruise any more.

Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478384

I have read several posts on cc for Gate 1 and most people seem satisfied with their product. I know they are probably the number 1 budget line.

We did the trip with Vantage and loved it, but Vantage doesn't have this cruise any more.

Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478384

Ditto about Gate 1...cousin used them in France and said it was excellent!!

Hydro kitty..Thanks for the detailed review. I tried to copy it but as always when I try to copy on anything on CC...it goes to some "clipboard" somewhere! The name of our ship is a mouthful: MS Mstislav Rostropovich..... it's the gate 1 12 day first class Russian River Moscow to St Petersburg

Hydro kitty..Thanks for the detailed review. I tried to copy it but as always when I try to copy on anything on CC...it goes to some "clipboard" somewhere! The name of our ship is a mouthful: MS Mstislav Rostropovich..... it's the gate 1 12 day first class Russian River Moscow to St Petersburg

Can't take credit for review..that was Papa....we went on the same trip only I think he was trip before mine. Anyway, I looked up your trip and itinerary sounds very similar to ours and you'll be staying in hotels in Moscow and St. Pete, which is VERY good. First thing to know about both cities is: traffic...so bad they have underground walkways for crossing the street!! Here's a run down on the ports we visited that you will also be visiting:

Moscow: I think we stayed at the same hotel. It's beautiful. Take the optional tour to Novodevichy Convent. It's amazing. If you like to take photos, be prepared to pay for a photo permit. It's not much and you can sneak the pix, but they use the money to maintain the grounds and it's seemed to me like bad karma to cheat the nuns!! :D If they offer a city tour by night, take it...Moscow is beautiful at night.

Uglich: beautiful little town and a nice walking tour. Be prepared to run a "flea market" gauntlet of stalls where you can shop if you wish, they'll take credit cards but better shopping is coming.

Goritsky: Poured rain when we were here, but monastery was very interesing.

Kizhi: One of my favorite ports. Absolutely amazing and beautiful. Not saying more, I don't want to spoil it.

Mandrogi: Home of Putin's summer dacha. You can walk to it, but it's nothing much to look at. This is where you shop!!! Great selection, great prices and no matter what you're looking for they have it!

St. Pete: I LOVE ballet so Swan Lake in St Pete was a no brainer for me. As for the St. Pete at night optional...we did it on our way home from the ballet...but I'm sure the optional will be more inclusive. Look for a restaurant near the hotel called the Soviet Cafe. Best food, best prices and wonderful atmosphere. It's below the sidewalk and very Greenwich Village.

EAT BLINYS WHENEVER AND WHEREVER YOU CAN!!!!!! They'll be filled with meat (good) or fruit (cherries, to die for).

Anything else, you can e-mail me off line at chydro564@yahoo.com. I'll be away for most of Oct. but afterwards I'll be happy to answer questions.

Edited by Hydrokitty

• 2 months later...

Hi all....we are thinking of staying an extra night in Moscow and a few extra nights post cruise in St Petersburg. We have talked to Visa people and extending visa is not a problem they said. We'll stay in Gate 1 hotels so no problem there. We are looking at private tours for these days and appreciate any good tours you all took before or after Gate 1. Cruisy Susy

Hi all....we are thinking of staying an extra night in Moscow and a few extra nights post cruise in St Petersburg. We have talked to Visa people and extending visa is not a problem they said. We'll stay in Gate 1 hotels so no problem there. We are looking at private tours for these days and appreciate any good tours you all took before or after Gate 1. Cruisy Susy

We don't know what tours that your Gate 1 includes in your trip.

You can see what we did in those cities from my review. For STP, Catherine's Palace, Peterhof (not just the garden, do the inside), the Hermitage (old Winter Palace), Church of Spilled Blood, canal cruise, the Marinsky ballet (we saw Swan Lake), the Russian Army show (fantastic), Peter and Paul Fortress including Cathedral. There is more, such as St. Isaac's Cathedral, Dostovesky's house and the Yusupov's Palace.

For Moscow, the Kremlin tour is a must and it should include GUM and perhaps St. Basil's Cathedral. Stop and see Lenin's ugly body.

The New Maiden's Convent and the cemetery where many notable Russians are buried is another. We did a nigh tour of Moscow that was nice, since there was not traffic. Traffic is terrible in Moscow. We did a day tour to the Serge Posad Monastery outside of Moscow. That was good, but it did take up a lot of time. Also, we did a trip to an art gallery, that we could have skipped.

Also, on our city tour we visited places like the Arbat and passed by the former KGB headquarters.

http://www.moscow.info/attractions/index.aspx

We don't know what tours that your Gate 1 includes in your trip.

You can see what we did in those cities from my review. For STP, Catherine's Palace, Peterhof (not just the garden, do the inside), the Hermitage (old Winter Palace), Church of Spilled Blood, canal cruise, the Marinsky ballet (we saw Swan Lake), the Russian Army show (fantastic), Peter and Paul Fortress including Cathedral. There is more, such as St. Isaac's Cathedral, Dostovesky's house and the Yusupov's Palace.

For Moscow, the Kremlin tour is a must and it should include GUM and perhaps St. Basil's Cathedral. Stop and see Lenin's ugly body.

The New Maiden's Convent and the cemetery where many notable Russians are buried is another. We did a nigh tour of Moscow that was nice, since there was not traffic. Traffic is terrible in Moscow. We did a day tour to the Serge Posad Monastery outside of Moscow. That was good, but it did take up a lot of time. Also, we did a trip to an art gallery, that we could have skipped.

Also, on our city tour we visited places like the Arbat and passed by the former KGB headquarters.

http://www.moscow.info/attractions/index.aspx

Nailed it, Papa....all those and a little more on Serge Posad....I thought it was marvelous...I'm trying to recall so correct me if I'm wrong, but Serge Posad is to Russian Orthodox and Vatican is to Roman Catholics. We did spend a lot of time there and had lunch at a nearby cafe but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't do the art gallery, but others on our trip shared your opinion. I was very disappointed that we did NOT get to go inside St. Basil's or see Lenin's tomb but we were there when they were preparing for the international tattoo so both of them were closed. Gum's blew my mind!! And the best McDonald's burger I ever had was in Moscow in the Arbeit (?) section....it's the shopping district where we all got off the underground...I think they used real meat!!