Viking Elbe Offer - Cancel or Take the Bus Trip?

Natasha708

We wanted to alert you that the Elbe River is experiencing unusually low water levels and unfortunately rain is not forecasted in the near future. Our nautical department, a team of professionals that monitors all of Viking’s rivers on a daily basis, believes that it is unlikely that your ship, Viking Beyla, will be able to sail and as a result it will be necessary to make changes to your itinerary.

In order to stay as close to the original program as possible we will likely have you embark identical sister ship Viking Astrild, then execute a “ship swap” part way through the itinerary, moving you from Viking Astrild to Viking Beyla. Both ships are currently docked in cities that make it easy to operate daily excursions via motorcoach rides that are relatively short – and we are confident that we will provide you with a great experience.

This came in an email from Viking. Full refund or still go? Thought are appreciated! Thx!!

Sounds like you will stay on the ship(s) and then bus to the other cities for tours. I think some of your bus rides will be more, perhaps much more, than a hour each way. If they are offering only the choice of cancel with a refund or go without compensation, I would opt out.

Sounds like you will stay on the ship(s) and then bus to the other cities for tours. I think some of your bus rides will be more, perhaps much more, than a hour each way. If they are offering only the choice of cancel with a refund or go without compensation, I would opt out.

Really you would? They are offering a full refund... with 1000.00 per person toward a future cruise.

Edited by Natasha708

Really you would? They are offering a full refund... with 1000.00 per person toward a future cruise.

Confused, is Viking offering a Full Refund AND a Free Bus Trip plus $1000 credit?

Or is it a Full Refund.... If you go anyway you get a Bus Trip and a $1000 credit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Confused, is Viking offering a Full Refund AND a Free Bus Trip plus $1000 credit?

Or is it a Full Refund.... If you go anyway you get a Bus Trip and a $1000 credit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your interest and thanks for asking!

Here are the exact words from the email.

Considering the impact low water levels have on your trip, we are extending a Future Cruise Voucher valued at $1,000.00 per person. Future Cruise Vouchers will be emailed to you separately; please allow two weeks for delivery.

Dear Viking Guest:

Thank you for choosing Viking Cruises for your upcoming European voyage. We wanted to alert you that the Elbe River is experiencing unusually low water levels and unfortunately rain is not forecasted in the near future. Our nautical department, a team of professionals that monitors all of Viking’s rivers on a daily basis, believes that it is unlikely that your ship, Viking Beyla, will be able to sail and as a result it will be necessary to make changes to your itinerary.

In order to stay as close to the original program as possible we will likely have you embark identical sister ship Viking Astrild, then execute a “ship swap” part way through the itinerary, moving you from Viking Astrild to Viking Beyla. Both ships are currently docked in cities that make it easy to operate daily excursions via motorcoach rides that are relatively short – and we are confident that we will provide you with a great experience.

Considering the impact low water levels have on your trip, we are extending a Future Cruise Voucher valued at $1,000.00 per person. Future Cruise Vouchers will be emailed to you separately; please allow two weeks for delivery.

Should you wish to cancel your trip or have any questions, please contact Customer Relations at customerrelations@vikingcruises.com or call 1-877-523-0579, Monday through Friday, 6:00 am to 8:00 pm, and Saturday to Sunday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, PST.

If the water levels remain at their current capacity we expect that your itinerary will proceed as follows:

Day

Destination

Accommodation

Itinerary

Day 1

Berlin

Grand Hyatt Berlin

Arrival and hotel check-in.

Day 2

Potsdam

Check-out; travel by coach to Potsdam for a guided tour of rococo Sanssouci Palace or baroque New Chambers (22 miles)

Wittenberg

Viking Astrild

Continue by coach to Wittenberg (50 miles); embark Viking Astrild

Day 3

Wittenberg

Viking Astrild

Guided walk including tour of Martin Luther’s house & Castle Church. Afternoon free time.

Day 4

Dessau

Travel by coach to UNESCO Site Wörlitz Park & Gardens for a tour (14 miles)

Torgau

Viking Astrild

Travel on by coach to Torgau for a guided walk, see Hartenfels Castle (37 miles); return to your ship in Wittenberg (30 miles)

Day 5

Wittenberg

Disembark Viking Astrild

Meissen

Travel by coach to Meissen for a porcelain factory tour & demonstration (72 miles)

Dresden

Viking Beyla

Continue by coach to Dresden to embark identical sister ship Viking Beyla (18 miles)

Day 6

Dresden

Viking Beyla

City tour featuring Dresden Castle & Green Vault or Old Masters Picture Gallery; guided walk to Zwinger Palace & Semper Opera House

Day 7

Saxon Switzerland

Viking Beyla

Travel by coach to Saxon Switzerland to see the Bastei and panoramic Elbe views (30 miles); return to your ship in Dresden (30 miles).

Day 8

Dresden

Viking Beyla

Travel by coach to Königstein Fortress, one of the largest hilltop fortifications in Europe (24 miles); return to your ship in Dresden (24 miles)

Day 9

Dresden

Disembark your ship

Litomerice

Travel by coach to Litomerice for a guided tour through historic city center & sampling of regional Bohemian beers (54 miles); or to an alternate Terezin Excursion

Prague

Prague Marriott

Continue by coach to Prague for a panoramic city tour & tour of Hradcany Castle tour (44 miles); hotel check-in

Day 10

Prague

Prague Marriott

Original itinerary

Day 11

Krakow

Radisson Blu

Original itinerary

Day 12

Krakow

Radisson Blu

Original itinerary

Day 13

Krakow

Radisson Blu

Original itinerary

Day 14

Warsaw

Sofitel Warsaw

Original itinerary

Day 15

Warsaw

Sofitel Warsaw

Original itinerary

Day 16

Warsaw

Hotel check-out and departure

The above itinerary is based on current water levels and is subject to change.

We look forward to welcoming you to Berlin and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the additional information. Based on that, my recommendation changes. I would go. Only about half your trip is scheduled on the boat, so only half will be disrupted. Based on their estimates of distances, bus times are within my tolerance levels, only one longish ride from Wittenburg to Dresden.

You might want to contact Viking to find out how they plan to handle lunches on those days you have a bus ride. Are they going to rush you back to the ship? Or will they feed you in town and allow you free time?

Thanks for the additional information. Based on that, my recommendation changes. I would go. Only about half your trip is scheduled on the boat, so only half will be disrupted. Based on their estimates of distances, bus times are within my tolerance levels, only one longish ride from Wittenburg to Dresden.

You might want to contact Viking to find out how they plan to handle lunches on those days you have a bus ride. Are they going to rush you back to the ship? Or will they feed you in town and allow you free time?

Thank you for your wise questions. I will find out. :) First time river cruiser here...

And...

I would jump at the opportunity to cancel, and do the itinerary on my own. If I'm going to take a land-based trip, it will be on MY schedule and I will call the shots.

But - probably that is because we are comfortable traveling around Germany on our own. We have done this multiple times. And, we have experience doing exactly this, on the fly, with minimal advance notice, after a river cruise was canceled (see my blog from 2013, link below). Lastly, Chris understands enough Polish that we'd feel fine on our own there. Her grandparents were born in what was Poland, but is now Ukraine.

But my opinion may not apply to you as much, as this is your first river cruise, and I am not sure whether you have experience with DIY traveling in Europe. Also, I am not sure whether your flights are with Viking, or on your own (when our cruise was canceled, we had separate flights that we had booked on our own, which we kept).

We are actually looking at doing part of this itinerary next year - flying into Prague, and taking trains/cars/whatever up through Saxon Switzerland, Dresden, and Berlin on our own. As much as I love river cruising, I am leery of trying the Elbe given that it seems to have problems with low water every year now.

I would go if it was me but thats my opinion based on the driving distances. Please, PLEASE tell us if Vikings estimate of the distances seem correct so others will know after you return. I have considered this trip before and even with not sailing it seems a good value especially with the 1000 per person bonus. I have not seen the Viking itinerary change posted before and it is very helpful. Thank you.

And...

I would jump at the opportunity to cancel, and do the itinerary on my own. If I'm going to take a land-based trip, it will be on MY schedule and I will call the shots.

But - probably that is because we are comfortable traveling around Germany on our own. We have done this multiple times. And, we have experience doing exactly this, on the fly, with minimal advance notice, after a river cruise was canceled (see my blog from 2013, link below). Lastly, Chris understands enough Polish that we'd feel fine on our own there. Her grandparents were born in what was Poland, but is now Ukraine.

I completely agree and would opt out as well. This is an easy area to visit on your own with a great choice of cities to base.

I would not be interested in a ship swap and the hassle that requires and would be much happier DIY with my choice of hotels and cities and no bus rides.

I remember reading last year about Viking river cruisers complaining bitterly about the long bus rides. I think part of the problem was them not having the information you have beforehand.

The main question is for me here: do you want to sail? Are you happy with staying on a ship (or two in this case) that does not actually move?

I would not be, the bus ride being 15 minutes or 2 hours would not matter to me, I just would not go on a coach trip where I will stay on a hotel ship. This is what it will be.

Having said that, there is a chance that you will have the same problem this time next year. If you cancel try to get a date earlier in 2017. Generally speaking, August, September and October sometimes running into November are low water level months. On the Elbe I would only go in May, June or July and - purely my personal preference as I am based in Germany - only go with CroisiEurope on their new paddle wheeler.

To help another cruiser with their decision whether to cancel or go on a cruise I have posted the water levels of the Elbe: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395306

Hope you will be happy with your decision - whichever it might be.

notamermaid

I was in this area last July and saw Viking travelers in our hotel.

They had three very fine coaches and the hotel was the Westin on the banks of the Elbe in Dresden. The itinerary is worthwhile and some of the daily excursions would be by bus whether the ship can travel or not, for example the Bastei and Castle Koenigstein. Both offer great views of the Elbe sandstone mountains.

If you are confident doing the trip on your own in a rental car, cancel by all means and do it on your own. If you can find a cheaper bus trip with a similar itinerary, you can do that. I think CroisiEurope has introduced a smaller ship for the Elbe which can travel in much lower water levels. http://www.croisieuroperivercruises.com/ships/ms-elbe-princesse

The Elbe will be as unpredictable next year as it is this year and was last year. If you feel you get your money's worth with Viking, take the offer. The itinerary is definitely worth it.

Edited by Floridiana

I did the Elbe on the Viking Schumann (older ship) in April 2010. The cruise previous to us had been disrupted by flooding (go figure), but the only problem we had was docks covered in dried mud. Elbe is always iffy, but offers some great cities. I strongly second CPT Trips question about lunches, but given a satisfactory answer to that I personally would go as scheduled. As bus trips go, this doesn't look that bad. Presumably your near term schedule is already set up to accommodate this time block and you are mentally prepared to go. I'd take the $1000 FCC and use it toward another "safer" river trip (Rhine?) in the future. But if you are totally comfortable with DIY, then proceeding on your own as suggested by several is a reasonable choice.

Thom

I would go to Europe as planned, but not with the proposed itinerary.

Same here. It is so easy to get from city to city in Europe on trains, or planes. We are going in late October and if it was cancelled, no problem. We would still do Europe and adjust the cities we would visit.

We always do our own airfare (usually free) and have no problem connecting from a different airport if needed. We always add at least a day on each end of a cruise as well. This trip has 4 extra days already.

We did Berlin to Prague last year. I gave a detailed daily account of the trip which entailed switching ships. If you search for "Low waters on the Elbe" with a last post date of 11/14/15 you will find my comments from #59 to #75. I say go for it.

BTW as for the weather... the current heat wave is supposed to end during the night and tomorrow with a drop from 30°C to 15-20°C. And we do expect rain over the next few days all over Germany. Of course I can´t tell you where exactly and how much and whether this is changing the river level on the Elbe river in a way your cruise portion will be enlarged.

steamboats

We did Berlin to Prague last year. I gave a detailed daily account of the trip which entailed switching ships. If you search for "Low waters on the Elbe" with a last post date of 11/14/15 you will find my comments from #59 to #75. I say go for it.

Here is the link.

Copy and paste: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243503