Wearing ID badges on cruises...

pbnjrockette

Just curious to know how many companies are still using ID badges (name tags that may also include your state) while you are cruising or on tour. I'm currently on tour with Vantage and they have done away with the badges (for security reasons). We are finding it a bit annoying as we also enjoyed getting to know our fellow passengers and tour mates names quicker with the badges. We never wore them when we went out when we were not with the the tour group.

Emerald Waterways has name badges/pins that have just your first name on them. I'd say that on the first few days about 50% of the people wore them, but after that, it was hit or miss. It is a nice idea, but I must admit that I am one of the ones that failed to wear it after the first day..:(( Not because I opposed it, but mostly because I kept forgetting to put it on and when I'd remember, I then kept losing it.

Security reasons? I don't buy that for a minute. How the heck does cruise line, first name, and state compromise security?

I have mixed feelings, but I think it makes life easier for the staff and,being bad with names, me. I don't mind wearing a name tag on board.

I totally agree...I had heard last year that Vantage was doing away with name tags and luggage tags...I was against it then and remain so. It made it possible to call everyone by name even after several days..and the State was a conversation opener. I don't think it has anything to do with security..I think it's strictly a cost cutting move.

Uniworld does not use them and I am glad for that. I would not wear one even if they did use them.

RB

RB - I agree with you 100%! That was my reaction on our first Uniworld cruise when we were surprised to see tour groups from other lines with name tags. It reminded me too much of various conferences I attended in my working life.

Please don't make me wear a name tag. Just ask and I'll tell you my name. Maybe I'll remember it. If not, I may introduce myself again and ask you for your name. People do that all the time. Wearing a name tag off the ship is like a banner announcing that you are a tourist. It's bad enough that many ships use those lollipops to lead the excursions. I wish that they got rid of those too. I've taken many tours that had a guide without any badges or lollipop signs. It seems like a safer system. I've also been the tour guide in places. Never had a sign. Just told everyone where and when to meet. never lost anyone.

We're on Vantage now, Budapest to Bucharest, and we have name tags.

They were waiting on the bed for us when we checked in.

It's good to know Vantage even lets you know what side of the bed you should be sleeping on. (giggle)

It's hard enough to try and blend into your surroundings and not look like a tourist, but wearing a name tag ?! Maybe the guides should also have us hang onto a rope like they do to the wee ones in day care?

RB

My approach is on ship, name tag on - off ship, name tag off. I can remember that better than I remember names. ;)

It's not an issue that affects my decision making. Whether on land or on ship, I try to blend in with the local culture.

It's good to know Vantage even lets you know what side of the bed you should be sleeping on. (giggle)

RB

My wife was happy that they had gotten it right!

The ID stays in the room, we wore it to the welcome briefing and that was it.

Uniworld does not use them and I am glad for that. I would not wear one even if they did use them.

RB

I'm with you on that! I've seen both Vantage and GCTers at hotels awaiting cruises with the name tags on them. Some revolted and refused to wear them. Once they were onboard (the same ship as me), most stopped. I hate the idea of having to wear a nametag.

Please don't make me wear a name tag. Just ask and I'll tell you my name. Maybe I'll remember it. If not, I may introduce myself again and ask you for your name. People do that all the time. Wearing a name tag off the ship is like a banner announcing that you are a tourist. It's bad enough that many ships use those lollipops to lead the excursions. I wish that they got rid of those too. I've taken many tours that had a guide without any badges or lollipop signs. It seems like a safer system. I've also been the tour guide in places. Never had a sign. Just told everyone where and when to meet. never lost anyone.

You don't think the white running shoes, jeans, golf shirt and camera give us away? (sorry, I just couldn't help it :D) But your point is valid...if you're following someone with a lollipop sign, a name tag won't make a difference!

My approach is on ship, name tag on - off ship, name tag off. I can remember that better than I remember names. ;)

It's not an issue that affects my decision making. Whether on land or on ship, I try to blend in with the local culture.

I agree....and on the ship I only wear it to dinner for 2 reasons, the first one is obvious but the 2nd is for the wait staff who have a list of people with dietary needs hanging in the kitchen and the name tag makes it easier for them know who they are...but off the ship I put it inside my shirt....although the truth is we Americans hardly ever blend in with the locals. I think it's our attitudes and personalities that give us away.:D

RB

RB - I agree with you 100%! That was my reaction on our first Uniworld cruise when we were surprised to see tour groups from other lines with name tags. It reminded me too much of various conferences I attended in my working life.

Put me in this camp, too. I've only cruised with Uniworld and I'm glad they don't use them (and I'm terrible with names!) ;)

I'm in the camp that feels nametags are helpful onboard. Offboard, no.

I've been terrible with names my whole life even with a memory class. Trust me, it made life as a teacher challenging. I appreciate all the help I can get and if it helps someone else be more comfortable about starting up a conversation or approaching me that's a bonus in my world.

Avalon did not have them on our spring cruise and I've read that Viking won't have them when we cuise next month. Our prior 7 cruises all used them.

I am firmly in the no-name-tags-ever camp, whether on board or off the boat. While I recognize that the name tags help us to remember peoples' names, they create an atmosphere that (in my view) is too much like a convention. When we have seen Nat'l Geo groups in various places, all dutifully wearing their name tags, it seemed just a bit cultish. ;)

I guess name badges would be helpful to me onboard, because I have trouble remembering people's names. I am in good company on this: Willie Mays was called the "Say Hey Kid" because he never remembered names and always greeted people with that phrase. But I'm also cool with no tags -- I just let people know I probably won't remember their names...

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I guess name badges would be helpful to me onboard, because I have trouble remembering people's names. I am in good company on this: Willie Mays was called the "Say Hey Kid" because he never remembered names and always greeted people with that phrase. But I'm also cool with no tags -- I just let people know I probably won't remember their names...

You got that right chief. ;)

I am firmly in the no-name-tags-ever camp, whether on board or off the boat. While I recognize that the name tags help us to remember peoples' names, they create an atmosphere that (in my view) is too much like a convention. When we have seen Nat'l Geo groups in various places, all dutifully wearing their name tags, it seemed just a bit cultish. ;)

Don't you belong to the box on a string around the neck and things on the ear cult? :rolleyes: