Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

Last week on Allure my wife is in a lounger on deck 16 around 10-11:00AM. Some people asked about towels on chairs nearby and she and others nearby say they've been there at least an hour or more with no sign of anyone occupying them. The four people move the towels and lie down. Later some people show up and start raising HELL about it saying it was rude and wrong to take "their chairs". I showed up as this was happening, and it went downhill from there quickly. The chair hogs kept ranting and raving, pacing back and forth in front of these people. Then they started telling them that if they dared move for a minute their stuff would be gone. Then they sat down across from the people and proceeded to stare at them. It was beginning to feel like they were threatening and harassing those poor people. These were large, angry and quickly becoming scary people. Finally one of the by now victims fetched security. Soon there were 5 security staff talking to these bullies. They continued their ranting and raving, now directed at ship staff. I heard one of them tell security "I'm a tough guy!!". It literally took security close to THIRTY MINUTES to talk these people down and get them to move on.

It blows my mind that people could get so worked up about something like this during their VACATION instead of just moving on and enjoying their day. It was somewhat entertaining to watch, but also scary to see people become so unhinged in public.

Last week on Allure my wife is in a lounger on deck 16 around 10-11:00AM. Some people asked about towels on chairs nearby and she and others nearby say they've been there at least an hour or more with no sign of anyone occupying them. The four people move the towels and lie down. Later some people show up and start raising HELL about it saying it was rude and wrong to take "their chairs". I showed up as this was happening, and it went downhill from there quickly. The chair hogs kept ranting and raving, pacing back and forth in front of these people. Then they started telling them that if they dared move for a minute their stuff would be gone. Then they sat down across from the people and proceeded to stare at them. It was beginning to feel like they were threatening and harassing those poor people. These were large, angry and quickly becoming scary people. Finally one of the by now victims fetched security. Soon there were 5 security staff talking to these bullies. They continued their ranting and raving, now directed at ship staff. I heard one of them tell security "I'm a tough guy!!". It literally took security close to THIRTY MINUTES to talk these people down and get them to move on.

It blows my mind that people could get so worked up about something like this during their VACATION instead of just moving on and enjoying their day. It was somewhat entertaining to watch, but also scary to see people become so unhinged in public.

I'm glad to see that those people stayed there and didn't give into them.

Last week on Allure my wife is in a lounger on deck 16 around 10-11:00AM.

Wow, Deck 16 is the deck above the pool deck, not even around the pool. I've seen it busy, but not totally full before. I did have a guy threaten me one time on Navigator. I was close to standing up and having him realize he had bit off more than he could chew when his wife stood up and said, "Over here honey" He had left the solarium from one end, came back from the other and he went to the wrong seat.

That is just sad. Those chairs and towels don't belong to them in the first place.

The only truly reserved chairs....would be the ones on their own balcony...or the

one they currently have their butt placed on. ;)

Too many hostile people in the world. :(

Edited by island lady

From other posts I've seen - it sounds like some people get up before dawn to put towels on chairs to claim them - then don't show up for up to 6 hours!

For those recently on Allure - is it mainly sunny spots that are "hogged" in the Solarium? I'm very fair (I should own stock in Neutrogena for their sun block) - and in photos I see some cushioned lounge chairs in shady areas (different from the standard lounge chairs I see, for example, along the edges by windows in the Solarium. We'd likely eat early breakfast in the Bistro on "at sea" days and then look for comfy chairs in shade.

I'm surprised no pool attendants were in the area. Can't believe such rude behavior from adults. I hate chair hogs glad they stood up to them. On Harmony the pool attendant was putting post-it notes on the chairs with the time on them. Didn't see him actually remove towels but it did seem to keep people on their toes a little more.

Glad to hear the four that decided to occupy the vacant loungers ignored the chair hogs and decided to engage security. Can you imagine how that might have turned out verbally or physically. I guess the chairs the chair hogs eventually sat in across from the four people weren't good enough.

And this is why I would never remove items from a chair even if it was a towel.

I would get a staff member to do it and should the person come back I can say items were removed by staff.

If staff member wouldn't move items I would move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I and others have noted through the years, a major problem with the chair hogs is the blatant refusal of RCCL to enforce its own rules on a consistent basis. In addition, RCCL has so reduced the numbers of pool personnel that the problem has been growing.

Smart decision to engage security. Most chair hogs aren't that belligerent, but clearly this foursome posed a threat best handled by professionals. Some may think that security was overly patient and should have taken earlier, more decisive action, but IMO, talking them down was the right choice in these circumstances.

Wow, that scene was begging to be periscoped... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After what to wear in the MDR this the most talked about problem on cruise critic. I have seen a woman sit in a chair by the pool and tell me the next seven seats next to her are already taken. An hour goes by and she is still the only one sitting there. You are right I have never seen RCCL staff enforce the chair rules; maybe they do not want to offend anyone either.

Missed that scene last week however we saw another great one in the theatre.

Half an hour prior to the start of The headliner show the lady behind me was standing up talking to someone. People 6 rows back and in the last row asker her to sit down as she was blocking their view. She tore a strip into them for a good couple of minutes. Wonder how those people in the back row felt for the last 2 or 3 songs when there was a long standing ovation.

Wow, Deck 16 is the deck above the pool deck, not even around the pool. I've seen it busy, but not totally full before. I did have a guy threaten me one time on Navigator. I was close to standing up and having him realize he had bit off more than he could chew when his wife stood up and said, "Over here honey" He had left the solarium from one end, came back from the other and he went to the wrong seat.

That is classic....and I am sure that the guy apologized for his rudeness.....not.

I must be missing something. If the show didn't start for another half an hour, what "view" was she blocking?

I often stand up before shows just because we have to sit for so long during them. It also makes it easy for others to find us (sometimes intentionally and sometimes we just happen on people before the show). We don't save seats, but if they are still available...

Was there something going on up on the stage that they were missing? Or, did they just not like looking at this person?

Tom

Missed that scene last week however we saw another great one in the theatre.

Half an hour prior to the start of The headliner show the lady behind me was standing up talking to someone. People 6 rows back and in the last row asker her to sit down as she was blocking their view. She tore a strip into them for a good couple of minutes. Wonder how those people in the back row felt for the last 2 or 3 songs when there was a long standing ovation.

This sounds scary.

And this is why I would never remove items from a chair even if it was a towel.

I would get a staff member to do it and should the person come back I can say items were removed by staff.

If staff member wouldn't move items I would move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

good idea

-Dan

I was on the Freedom of the Seas on the pool deck and was looking for a table to sit at. I walked around for a while and one had a glass with melted ice in it with a straw that I passed twice. I sat down and was there about 20 minutes when a woman came and told me that was her table. She sat down and said that I could sit there. She proceeded to complain about the Freedom, and since I liked the Freedom and also avoid this type of conversation, I politely left her at her table.

Ownership of chairs and tables is an issue on ships, I think.

I must be missing something. If the show didn't start for another half an hour, what "view" was she blocking?

I often stand up before shows just because we have to sit for so long during them. It also makes it easy for others to find us (sometimes intentionally and sometimes we just happen on people before the show). We don't save seats, but if they are still available...

Was there something going on up on the stage that they were missing? Or, did they just not like looking at this person?

Tom

I think he was referring to those in the back complaining about someone standing before the show started. It appears his issue is with those in the back of the theater complaining and not the woman behind him standing. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got when he asked how those people in the back felt during the standing ovation.

I can understand the chair hogs being upset, but it's a little embarrassing for them to lash out when they are clearly in the wrong. You'd think they would slink away a little ashamed of trying to do what they did.

Tom

Your post makes me wonder if some cruisers actually know the rules. All of us on CC are aware of the chair hog issue, but do all passengers? With a group of Neanderthals like this, it's hard to tell if they don't know or don't care. Maybe it doesn't matter in the long run, but it might explain their failure to "slink away" as you so nicely phrased it. :)

Tom

Apparently they just wanted to be able to watch everyone looking for seats. No idea why that would bother someone.

I think he was referring to those in the back complaining about someone standing before the show started. It appears his issue is with those in the back of the theater complaining and not the woman behind him standing. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got when he asked how those people in the back felt during the standing ovation.

Definitely the people in the back complaining.

From other posts I've seen - it sounds like some people get up before dawn to put towels on chairs to claim them - then don't show up for up to 6 hours!

For those recently on Allure - is it mainly sunny spots that are "hogged" in the Solarium? I'm very fair (I should own stock in Neutrogena for their sun block) - and in photos I see some cushioned lounge chairs in shady areas (different from the standard lounge chairs I see, for example, along the edges by windows in the Solarium. We'd likely eat early breakfast in the Bistro on "at sea" days and then look for comfy chairs in shade.

I grew up putting suntan oil on and trying to get an even dark tan. Then I went to work at a hospital where the manager looked like a crocodile. I seek the shade now and will only on a rare occasion with lots of sun screen on hang around in sun on purpose. We seem to always find a place to plop down, but we have too gone early to get primo location around pool. For me, I take my iPod and lay down and take a nap while DW reads her book.

I can see though the frustration of not finding a chair to hog for the day. :rolleyes: