First cruise/last minute cruise/surprise cruise Pacific Jewel to Moreton Island

So I had flights booked to Sydney for 16-20 Feb and started looking for accommodation. The prices are much higher than I've experienced at the same time in previous years and so I happened upon a cruise site. The dates of the Pacific Jewel to Moreton Island matched perfectly, it's like it was meant to be. It's a surprise for my husband's 30th, he has no idea we're going anywhere. He won't know he's going on a cruise until we arrive at White Bay.

We're travelling with a 3 year old and 6 month old. I really don't know what to expect from the cruise or Moreton Island and I'm hoping I can get tips, experiences, anything that might help me better prepare. I'm organising it all on my own, so I don't have my husband to bounce ideas off like I usually do. I'm still waiting on our cabin assignment but I know it's on the outside in a quad room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just been to Moreton Island on the Jewel. There were many babies "and prams" on board and they seem to have a great time. The crew love babies.

Be aware that Tangalooma (Moreton) is a tender port and therefore is subject to weather conditions and you will have to carry the children and the pram on to the tender. It is a fairly long trip to shore depending where the Jewel drops anchor.

We were unable to get ashore on the first go because of the swell so we went on to Gladstone. Then we were told Mooloolaba (our next scheduled port) was too rough so went back to Moreton and managed to get ashore the second time.

There is a lovely beach where people went swimming (free) and plenty of shore activities which you pay for. Some people went on a cruise to the wrecks while others went sand tobogganing, segway safaris, scuba diving, quad bike riding, parasailing, helicopter rides, stand up paddle boards, kayaking and all sorts of beach activities. If you have a bit of spare cash then there will be lots of activities available. Check "Cruise Control" for the shore tours offered for this trip. Some were booked out early.

Have a great trip. :)

So I had flights booked to Sydney for 16-20 Feb and started looking for accommodation. The prices are much higher than I've experienced at the same time in previous years and so I happened upon a cruise site. The dates of the Pacific Jewel to Moreton Island matched perfectly, it's like it was meant to be. It's a surprise for my husband's 30th, he has no idea we're going anywhere. He won't know he's going on a cruise until we arrive at White Bay.

We're travelling with a 3 year old and 6 month old. I really don't know what to expect from the cruise or Moreton Island and I'm hoping I can get tips, experiences, anything that might help me better prepare. I'm organising it all on my own, so I don't have my husband to bounce ideas off like I usually do. I'm still waiting on our cabin assignment but I know it's on the outside in a quad room.

Welcome to cruise critic, what a wonderful surprise for your Hubby.

If you want to visit the Tangalooma resort, you may need a day pass. I don't know if you can get them on board, but the details to get them direct are here:

https://www.tangalooma.com/info/casual_visitors/

Best thing is that they are free.

Note: Not to worry I've just seen that visitors from cruise ships are covered automatically.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

If you want to visit the Tangalooma resort, you may need a day pass. I don't know if you can get them on board, but the details to get them direct are here:

https://www.tangalooma.com/info/casual_visitors/

Best thing is that they are free.

Note: Not to worry I've just seen that visitors from cruise ships are covered automatically.

Very cool link, cheers.:D

Welcome to cruise critic, what a wonderful surprise for your Hubby.

Thanks! It's killing me to not tell him. I'm trying to figure out how to get him to take sea sickness tablets without his knowledge lol. It's not illegal to drug someone if it's for a fun reason, right? [emoji23]

Thanks! It's killing me to not tell him. I'm trying to figure out how to get him to take sea sickness tablets without his knowledge lol. It's not illegal to drug someone if it's for a fun reason, right? [emoji23]

Make sure you are by the jetty at 11am when they feed the pelicans Amazing activity

Edited by windsor26

Perhaps maybe just pack some 'sea bands' and some crystalised ginger, he may not need tablets, otherwise some Blackmore's ginger tablets are good. I take them when doing small boats like whale watching tours.