What to pack for Norway & Iceland in June/July

abja09

I will be taking a cruise to Norway and Iceland the last week of June/first week of July. I have read the temps in Norway and Iceland can vary and to be prepared for rain. I don't want to overpack but want to have the proper clothing. For those that have visited Norway or Iceland in June or July, what did you pack? And what did you really need?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would recommend:

- a waterproof, windproof shell (preferably in a breathable fabric like GoreTex)

- a thick fleece jacket/pullover

- a thinner fleece jacket/pullover

- a winter hat

- lightweight gloves

That will cover just about every kind of weather you're likely to encounter. Swap out the layers according to the temperature and your comfort level. For me, the hat and gloves make a huge difference when there's a bit of a breeze on deck during scenic sail-ins.

Bring a mix of short- and long-sleeved shirts, and at least one pair of shorts (or skirt) in case of very high temperatures.

If you're planning a lot of outdoor activities or spending a lot of time in Iceland, I'd also throw in a pair of rain pants that can be worn over your regular pants. Even light rain (or waterfall mist) is a nuisance when the wind is bringing it in sideways.

I've not been to Norway, but have been to Iceland in June. It can be anywhere from a glorious sunny 60+ degrees, to sleeting sideways. Quite possibly within the same 30 minutes. Seriously.

How much gear you want to bring will depend on what you plan on doing. If you will be predominantly in a bus, jumping out to look at sites, then getting back on the bus, you won't need as sturdy weather gear. If you want to be able to comfortably spend long periods of time outside, bring non-cotton pants with rain pants you can slip over (cheap is fine.) We wore lightweight down jackets, and were glad to have scarves and hats at various points during the trip. Light gloves were good too. Bring a lightweight rain jacket to put over your coat, especially so you can get close to the waterfalls without getting soaked (the mist is sneaky.)

Bring water-resistant/waterproof shoes. Lightweight wool socks (which won't be as cold if they do get wet.) If you want to do anything besides stand in parking lots, make sure your shoes have a decent tread.

Do not bring an umbrella. The winds can be fierce and laugh at umbrellas.

Do bring a bathing suit to spend time in one of the geothermal pools. Yes, it's chilly on the way to/from the pool and changing area, but the waters are wonderfully warm.

The buildings in Iceland are uniformly toasty. Plan on being able to strip off most of your layers so you don't roast if you go inside. That abundant geothermal energy means no one is frugal with heating.

And stop and try their hotdogs. They are cheap and tasty! One local told us "If Iceland had a state religion, it would be our hotdogs."

I would recommend:

- a waterproof, windproof shell (preferably in a breathable fabric like GoreTex)

- a thick fleece jacket/pullover

- a thinner fleece jacket/pullover

- a winter hat

- lightweight gloves

That will cover just about every kind of weather you're likely to encounter. Swap out the layers according to the temperature and your comfort level. For me, the hat and gloves make a huge difference when there's a bit of a breeze on deck during scenic sail-ins.

Bring a mix of short- and long-sleeved shirts, and at least one pair of shorts (or skirt) in case of very high temperatures.

If you're planning a lot of outdoor activities or spending a lot of time in Iceland, I'd also throw in a pair of rain pants that can be worn over your regular pants. Even light rain (or waterfall mist) is a nuisance when the wind is bringing it in sideways.

Just the information I was looking for. I definitely do need to get rain pants. thank you!

I've not been to Norway, but have been to Iceland in June. It can be anywhere from a glorious sunny 60+ degrees, to sleeting sideways. Quite possibly within the same 30 minutes. Seriously.

How much gear you want to bring will depend on what you plan on doing. If you will be predominantly in a bus, jumping out to look at sites, then getting back on the bus, you won't need as sturdy weather gear. If you want to be able to comfortably spend long periods of time outside, bring non-cotton pants with rain pants you can slip over (cheap is fine.) We wore lightweight down jackets, and were glad to have scarves and hats at various points during the trip. Light gloves were good too. Bring a lightweight rain jacket to put over your coat, especially so you can get close to the waterfalls without getting soaked (the mist is sneaky.)

Bring water-resistant/waterproof shoes. Lightweight wool socks (which won't be as cold if they do get wet.) If you want to do anything besides stand in parking lots, make sure your shoes have a decent tread.

Do not bring an umbrella. The winds can be fierce and laugh at umbrellas.

Do bring a bathing suit to spend time in one of the geothermal pools. Yes, it's chilly on the way to/from the pool and changing area, but the waters are wonderfully warm.

The buildings in Iceland are uniformly toasty. Plan on being able to strip off most of your layers so you don't roast if you go inside. That abundant geothermal energy means no one is frugal with heating.

And stop and try their hotdogs. They are cheap and tasty! One local told us "If Iceland had a state religion, it would be our hotdogs."

I have read about the weather changing quickly! I can't wait to go to Iceland and I must try a hotdog!!

Thank you for the help on my packing list.

Layering is the key, including teck-wick material jerseys, a polartec fleece and waterproof rain jacket, hats, gloves, rain pants. Umbrellas are useless, too much wind in iceland.

That said, we did a Norway Cruise in July of 2015 followed by a 6 night self drive land tour in Iceland. The temps on land for excursions in both places were high 50's -low 60's.

We had rain in Flam and Gerainger , sunshine in most other ports. Sunshine everyday in Iceland.

You will love both countries. We loved Iceland so much that we are going back this July on a 10 day circumnavigation of Iceland Cruise.

Enjoy!

Edited by pmjnh

We visited Norway mid June and Iceland at the end of July, but not in the same year.

In Norway we had mainly dry and sunny weather except in Bergen where it rained so much it did spoil it for us.

In Iceland we had changeable weather with showers. It was cooler than Norway, but not really cold. Around 15c during the day.

Yes, layers are what you need and definitely waterproofs and rain over trousers. Have a jacket with a hood as you get the spray from the waterfalls even if it's not raining.

As we live in London we are used to changeable weather and rain, so had the correct clothes and the rain didn't bother us.

We really like Norway and Iceland. The scenery in Norway is stunning and Iceland is 'different'.

Layering is the key, including teck-wick material jerseys, a polartec fleece and waterproof rain jacket, hats, gloves, rain pants. Umbrellas are useless, too much wind in iceland.

That said, we did a Norway Cruise in July of 2015 followed by a 6 night self drive land tour in Iceland. The temps on land for excursions in both places were high 50's -low 60's.

We had rain in Flam and Gerainger , sunshine in most other ports. Sunshine everyday in Iceland.

You will love both countries. We loved Iceland so much that we are going back this July on a 10 day circumnavigation of Iceland Cruise.

Enjoy!

Since I live in NJ I do have plenty of fleeces and cooler weather clothing! What did you wear pants wise? I was thinking leggings more so than jeans.

Have a great time in Iceland!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We visited Norway mid June and Iceland at the end of July, but not in the same year.

In Norway we had mainly dry and sunny weather except in Bergen where it rained so much it did spoil it for us.

In Iceland we had changeable weather with showers. It was cooler than Norway, but not really cold. Around 15c during the day.

Yes, layers are what you need and definitely waterproofs and rain over trousers. Have a jacket with a hood as you get the spray from the waterfalls even if it's not raining.

As we live in London we are used to changeable weather and rain, so had the correct clothes and the rain didn't bother us.

We really like Norway and Iceland. The scenery in Norway is stunning and Iceland is 'different'.

I hope we don't have to much rain but I will be prepared for it! The pictures I have seen are of Norway and Iceland are just beautiful so I can't wait to see the scenery in person. I'm sure it's breath taking!

Since I live in NJ I do have plenty of fleeces and cooler weather clothing! What did you wear pants wise? I was thinking leggings more so than jeans.

Have a great time in Iceland!

Thank you!

Jeans are not ideal if it rains as they take so long to dry. We wore water resistant hiking pants on a regular basis, the kind that zip off for shorts as an option. Very comfortable. You will want something that will dry quickly if you get wet.

I tend to wear jeans in the cities in Norway, because it's what I'm most comfortable in for casual wear. It's probably the most common, and a lot of offices have a fairly casual dress code, so it's a weekday staple. Leggings are also common, but mostly under skirts. The leggings-as-pants concept is usually seen only on younger 20-somethings.

While it's true that jeans take forever to dry, I almost never have a problem when I wear them under my rain pants. The only time I ended up damp was after a 2-mile hike across open lava fields in a horizontal torrential downpour (on our first day in Iceland, incidentally).

When I am planning to hike, I usually wear a hiking pant for the lighter weight, moisture wicking, and increased flexibility. And I love my convertible pair for the zip-off shorts option.

We visited Norway and Iceland last July.

The things I am most glad we took were waterproof hiking shoes (lightweight ones) and lightweight wool socks to wear with them.

We did not take rain pants, and did OK. Partly because on the rainiest days we had whitewater rafting and a rib boat excursion, and all the gear was provided.

I took what I thought was a good rain jacket, but I learned it was not.....so I ended up wearing a rain poncho over it if it was really rainy.

There was amazing wet and cold weather gear in Bergen - anyone on our land trip who lived in a cold climate got something. We resisted - the high here today is 54f and that is really cold for us!

Have a great trip - we loved it!

We visited Norway and Iceland last July.

The things I am most glad we took were waterproof hiking shoes (lightweight ones) and lightweight wool socks to wear with them.

We did not take rain pants, and did OK. Partly because on the rainiest days we had whitewater rafting and a rib boat excursion, and all the gear was provided.

I took what I thought was a good rain jacket, but I learned it was not.....so I ended up wearing a rain poncho over it if it was really rainy.

There was amazing wet and cold weather gear in Bergen - anyone on our land trip who lived in a cold climate got something. We resisted - the high here today is 54f and that is really cold for us!

Have a great trip - we loved it!

Thank you for your recommendations! I am in the process of shopping for waterproof hiking shoes.