Dress code?

Dolebludger

In fact, we cruised SS a couple of times a decade or so ago. I even took and wore my tux. So we know that SS is a great line. But since then, I have become old and assistance in navigating the airport system has disappeared.

You have mentioned the part about not being able to get assistance in airports five times, so it must be a great concern of yours - which we can understand. Take the advice of the previous posters who offered the idea of shipping your luggage ahead to the pre-cruise hotel or to the ship. That is what we do these days, and it is worth what it costs just to be free of that concern.

Yes, we have checked on shipping our luggage ahead, and find the cost prohibitive when combined with all the other costs associated with a good cruise -- and in light of the fact that we don't enjoy formal nights as we used to do.

Actually, I blame the airlines (and not SS) for my concern regarding the volume and weight of luggage caused by multiple dress codes. It hasn't been long since I could just pull up to the departure airport entrance, check everything with the sky cap, and not worry about luggage until I got to the port city. Now that service seems to be gone, and some airlines don't even transfer bags to other airlines, requiring claiming and rechecking at connection airports (again, no assistance in sight).

As for SS and its three dress codes, I hope SS continues this policy as there seem to be a good number of regular cruisers that like it that way. Even though I no longer do, it is good to have variety in cruises, and I am certainly not the only cruiser! And there are a number of lux lines (and other lines with lux areas onboard) not requiring these codes to afford me many choices.

As for SS and its three dress codes, I hope SS continues this policy as there seem to be a good number of regular cruisers that like it that way.

Dolebludger - Haven't you read the replies on your thread? Don't even think about a dress code. It doesn't exist. Book the cruise you fancy which should be destination driven. And as for luggage, we only ever take carry-on luggage and get the ship to launder a few shirts etc.

Dolebludger - Haven't you read the replies on your thread? Don't even think about a dress code. It doesn't exist. Book the cruise you fancy which should be destination driven. And as for luggage, we only ever take carry-on luggage and get the ship to launder a few shirts etc.

Fletch....don't be so hard...each to their own. I love dressing up in the evening and take little notice of those who prefer not to despite what the 'dress code' is for that particular night. For me the ship IS the destination and l don't travel light...[emoji6]

What suits one doesn't necessarily suit another so my advice is to do one's own thing and don't worry.....I've never felt out of place.

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband and I are now looking at Silversea for cruising next year as we are hoping they will have an itinerary that appeals in December/January 2017/18. We already have cruises booked prior to that on Seabourn.

One thing that appeals to us about Silversea is the dress code and the feeling we won't be judged since we like to dress up. We are fit active people during the day in port and we like the contrast of coming back to the ship, showering and wearing something more elegant. If other people prefer a more casual approach that is fine with me and many ships cater for that. I hope Silversea keeps their dress codes.

Julie

We will be on the Muse Ft Lauderdale/Fort Lauderdale and are waiting to see where it will be off to on Jan 3rd, 2018. Hope you are doing well - see you in Dubai. Cliff

Fletch....don't be so hard...each to their own. I love dressing up in the evening and take little notice of those who prefer not to despite what the 'dress code' is for that particular night. For me the ship IS the destination and l don't travel light...[emoji6]

What suits one doesn't necessarily suit another so my advice is to do one's own thing and don't worry.....I've never felt out of place.

Sophia [emoji5]

Same here. Of course it looks more like we're moving than going on a cruise. :eek::) The thought we could get enough stuff in carry ones is beyond comprehension. Heck my wife's makeup and shoes totally make negate that notion or potential.

Edited by Randyk47

I know most here are experienced travellers, but many overlook that the luggage is often more a problem of bulk rather than wheight. What helps with this is using the vacuum bags that you expel air by hand rather than vacuum cleaner. This not only reduces bulk by a half or two thirds with some types of clothing but also seems to reduce creasing. We use them not just for clothes but also essentials like our Siberian goose down pillows which goes with us everywhere and reduces bulk by around 80%.

Jeff

Of course I should have said hand luggage is enough for us on a tropical cruise. If we went to Polar regions we would take check-in as well. You can get an amazing amount in carry-on bags these days.

Edited by Fletcher

Of course I should have said hand luggage is enough for us on a tropical cruise. If we went to Polar regions we would take check-in as well. You can get an amazing amount in carry-on bags these days.

I admire your courage Fletch with hand luggage only.......[emoji15][emoji6]

I certainly did not intend to create so much controversy in posting this thread. I just had a question about the SS dress code because there has been so much change in many cruise lines since we last cruised SS.

I'll just respond to a few things. I have read and considered the responses. From them I have determined that I would not be comfortable on SS wearing less than a dark suit and tie on formal nights.I might or might not be able to get away with less, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing so.

Also, we are unable to pack enough for a 7 -10 night cruise, regardless of the destinations or dress codes, in two carry-ons. There may be some tricks we don't know, but we just can't do it.

Weight, as well as size, is a luggage issue for us. Many airlines charge us extra for luggage pieces over 50 lbs. Also, though we both appear to be healthy and fit older people, we both have limiting medical problems that are unseen in normal social contact. For my wife, it is MS. For me it is the effects of "old war injuries". Regardless of airline rules, we couldn't handle luggage over 50 lbs. anyway.

My question was not meant to lay groundwork for any criticism or complaint concerning SS. If SS wants to serve and appeal to cruisers who prefer a "dressier" cruise than offered on competing lux lines, that is a choice I respect. It is in fact good that such cruisers have this option.

Guess what I just heard on the news today? The TSA will soon be limiting carry-on luggage. I wonder if they will also curtail the airlines' charges and weight and size limits for checked luggage? After all, we have to either check all of our luggage or check part and carry on the rest. If TSA rules combined with airline rules become anymore inhospitable to travelers, it will cease to matter to me what any cruise line's dress code is. I will just be staying in SW Colorado, and saying the heck with the whole mess.

Guess what I just heard on the news today? The TSA will soon be limiting carry-on luggage. I wonder if they will also curtail the airlines' charges and weight and size limits for checked luggage? After all, we have to either check all of our luggage or check part and carry on the rest. If TSA rules combined with airline rules become anymore inhospitable to travelers, it will cease to matter to me what any cruise line's dress code is. I will just be staying in SW Colorado, and saying the heck with the whole mess.

Unless there are different stories, my reading was that a couple of senators were suggesting that checked in baggage fes be waived in order to incentivate people to not take on so much bulky carry on lugagge and they hope this will help shorten queues. .

eg ..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawmakers-airlines-drop-baggage-fees-shorten-tsa-lines-n573076

http://www.wtsp.com/travel/senators-want-airlines-to-waive-baggage-fees-to-ease-tsa-delays/185536915

So far as your other comments, I can obviously only speak for myself. My comment about vacuum bags was a genuine attempt to help. I think you have presented a challenge that is difficult to address. Not wanting to take too much, and not wanting to spend on sending it on or any of the other possibilities I think places you with an unsquareable challenge.

Our earlier rather extensive (by UK standards) cruises ie two or three loger cruises a year have been replaced by long-stay hotels mostly in Singapore, and the several convergent trend perceptions ie lowering of standards of both fellow passengers by some accounts here - and the product makes a change back less and less likely.

All the best with your challenge,

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes, and thanks for the suggestion about vacuum bags. We have used them before in our carry-ons, but have found that extensive use of them in our large luggage can result in an overweight problem.

And I have now heard several different versions of the new TSA rules concerning carry-onsmon the TV news. It seems that the matter is not "cooked" yet.

• 7 months later...

We are planning two family cruises on SS in the next few years to the Galapagos and to South Africa (Cape Town to Cape Town) and we were wondering if on these two cruises the men were required to even pack a dark sport coat? I can't see why we would need to bring one on the Galapagos expedition cruise, but maybe so for the South African cruise. If one is required and we decided not to bring ours and we wind up eating in the La Terrazza where I understand it's always informal night, would we still be required to where a coat to watch the evening show on the formal and informal nights?

Edited by Ken the cruiser