Does Silversea publish its extra-cost wine list?

jimdee3636

My wife and I have cruised twice with Silversea, and at lunch and dinner have always enjoyed the complimentary wines. But we're going to be have a substantial amount of onboard credit for our next SS cruise (on the Spirit in December), and we'd certainly consider using some of it on higher-end wines. But I can't seem to find the current "Connoisseur" list anywhere. I'd prefer knowing both the selections and the costs ahead of time. Does anyone have a copy of the current list, or at least a general sense of what things cost? Thanks.

We unfortunately do not have a copy of the current special wine list. I have not seen it published but I bet you could call SS and get one if you need it in advance, or get access to one your first day on board and take pictures of it.

In 2015, when we were last on the Spirit, and on prior SS cruises except the first, we frequently ordered off the list as we found the selections were quite good and with very reasonable markups (we looked on the internet for prices to compare). There were many Italian wines, some French, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, Australia. The biggest problem (then, perhaps not now) was getting the waiters to actually take our special wine orders, as there were often big delays, especially if we sat with a group just drinking included wine. The waiters were very focussed on pouring the included wines, and would then disappear. So we took iPhone pictures of the wine list and then in our suite, in advance of the dinner, figured out what we wanted to drink with our entree selections in the MDR and we'd be ready to order that wine by the time the hurried waiter came around to offer the included pours.

As I recall they ranged from $40 on up, $60-80 can get you a decent bottle unless you are very picky

Edited by Catlover54

It's been a while :( but last time we looked, we were pleasantly surprised that the markups were not so bad. The selection was not too bad either, IIRC. Here are a few random specifics that I remember from past cruises.

We really like Dom Perignon rose, unfortunately. It was $360 in the past, which wasn't a bad markup at all (maybe 20%, and even better when it's free with OBC). Last cruise it was $430, which was more OBC than we wanted to use. Their regular Dom was not too badly marked up the last I remember. However, these prices are from late 2014 so take that into consideration.

Our favorite use of OBC is to buy a few bottles at the end of the cruise - either to take home, or to take off the ship for our post-cruise extension. We did the latter for our 4 days in Iceland, where the wine selection is both scarce and ghastly expensive. I remember getting a delicious bottle of Nero d'Avola in the $50 price range.

I have a bottle of 1997 Chateau d'Yquem that we brought home from our last cruise, which is still awaiting a special occasion with some special friends. The markup on that was a little higher than the other bottles I remember above ($295), but again it was free with OBC, and something that I've always wanted to try, so I was quite happy to buy it. For this particular bottle I did go online to a few sites and look at reviews, prices, etc before purchasing.

On our last cruise, the ship was not full, and we had chatted with the sommelier a few times so he always came to check on us at dinner. Thus we had no problems getting our order in. I think Catlover54 has an excellent idea for how to deal with the situation if things get busy.

Another way to deal with this busy situation would be to head to the bar 30 minutes before dinner. While sipping your aperitif, review the wine list, then decide on your dinner wine. I'd also bet that you could place your order at the bar, and have it delivered to your dinner table.

Thanks, JP and Chris. Your comments remind me that I've still got an unopened half bottle of d'Yquem '90 in my wine cooler. At my age, maybe still being alive is enough of a special occasion to open it! Thanks again.---Jim

Thanks, JP and Chris. Your comments remind me that I've still got an unopened half bottle of d'Yquem '90 in my wine cooler. At my age, maybe still being alive is enough of a special occasion to open it! Thanks again.---Jim

Cheers -- enjoy every drop of it!

• 4 months later...

Just off the Silver Spirit and posting this partial list. There are many more - especially French Burgundies and Italian wines missing from this list. I also will list some of my opinions of wines we liked and pricing at the end.

Champagne

Krug - $160

Dom Perignon 2003 $175

Dom Perignon 2006 $145

Bollinger Grand Anee 2004 $150

Cristal 2006/2007 - $210

Penfolds Grange 2007 - $450

Penfolds Saint Henri Shiraz 2011 - $110

Penfolds Bin 389 Cab-Shiraz 2012 - $75

Ata Rangi Martinborough Pinot Noir 2012 - $70

Opus One 2010 - $200

Shafer Hillside Select 2009 - $195

Joseph Phelps Insignia 2011 - $190

Caymus Special Selection 2013 - $110

Joseph Phelps 2012 - $80

Vega Sicilia Unico 2002 - $425

CVNE Rioja Gran Reserva Imperial 2009 - $45

Sassicaia 2011 - $230

Sassicaia 2010 - $225

Tignanello 2013 - $80

Joseph Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 1997 - $150

Beaucastel CDP 2008/2009 - $110

Pichon Baron 2008 - $130

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 2005 - $150

Chateau Margaux 2006 - $600

Desert wines

Chataeu d'Yquem 2005 (375ml) - $200

Hetszolo Tokaji 5 Puttonyos 2008 - $80

Fronseca 10 year Tawny - $45

Wines we drank:

Dom Perignon 2006 (AMEX benefit gift)

Joseph Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 1997

Drank these two at Le Champagne. The Burg was pop and pour, no decant time needed.

Beaucastel CDP 2008, disappointment of the week. On first night the Sommelier from La Terrazza talked me into the 08 over the 09 when discussing wine selection for the following night. I'm a big fan of Beaucastel and should have known better.

Tignanello 2013 - always a fave and consistent, went through 2 bottles and they bubble wrapped one to bring home the price being better than retail for me.They did carry other Antinori wines as well if you're a fan like me.

Pichon Baron 2008 - wine of the week, had it decanted an hour before dinner.

CVNE Rioja Gran Reserva Imperial 2009 - a good value and drinking well right now. Went through 3 bottles.

Caymus SS 2013. A great price especially for the 2013 vintage. Been drinking Caymus for nearly thirty years now and I don't think it is as good as it once was but did well with the steaks cooked over the hot rocks.

Believe Jimdee finished his Spirit cruise a week or so ago, hopefully he will post what special wines he enjoyed. In the meantime will add to this post in case it helps future Spirit wine aficionados select a special wine. Below are a few of the wines we enjoyed (with the Silver Wind head Sommelier Civan's and La Terraza Sommelier Nicolas assistance).

We really enjoyed the Italian wines on the connoisseur list--a few at a very reasonable price point (Summus Toscana about $50, Polenza below about $65, San Leonardo, about $55). Very special Italian wines included the Guado di Tasso (super tuscan at about $90) and Onellaia (about $230).

Cheers!

0f75972ac1da6c69df84ad7014c6dce4.jpgee66ab895c9ede17adb6690e014f0744.jpg1d1f7f561ea273e1abf7a222057345be.jpgd4c0b43a6cde5c628e6ea9bc539f9022.jpga7b4180adecf75b51d43bce5cd45940b.jpg02828fd0b97fbc1e41ff7faf50982667.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Hi Wes,

What have you done ... he doesn't look content! Is he resting his chin in that glass. :D

0f75972ac1da6c69df84ad7014c6dce4.jpg

....... he obviously enjoyed his sniff of the bath sized Penfold Shiraz .......

a7b4180adecf75b51d43bce5cd45940b.jpg

Have a great Christmas and a really great New Year. :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

As we get ready to fly to Barbados Wednesday to board the Silver Spirit, I can't thank you enough for posting the wines below so that I can do a little research before embarking. I've written the original USD retail release price in your message below in red and Wine Spectator ratings in black so that folks can see the tremendous value SS offers on some of these wines.

As Col. Wes knows, the Shafer Hillside Select is an excellent wine and incredible value on this ship. And, I must say, the Spanish Imperial looks like a steal at $45, as does the French d'Yquem at $200.

Would you let me know who the head sommelier is on board when you departed?

Happy New Year!

Champagne

Krug - $160

Dom Perignon 2003 $175 - NR

Dom Perignon 2006 $145 $165 - 95pts

Bollinger Grand Anee 2004 $150 $155 - 94pts

Cristal 2006/2007 - $210 $250 - '06=95pts and '07=94pts

Australia

Penfolds Grange 2007 - $450 $600 - 94pts

Penfolds Saint Henri Shiraz 2011 - $110 $99 - 88pts

Penfolds Bin 389 Cab-Shiraz 2012 - $75 $69 - 91pts

New Zealand

Ata Rangi Martinborough Pinot Noir 2012 - $70 $66 - 91pts

California

Opus One 2010 - $200 $235 - 92pts

Shafer Hillside Select 2009 - $195 $240 - 96pts

Joseph Phelps Insignia 2011 - $190 $225 - 88pts

Caymus Special Selection 2013 - $110 $160 - 95pts

Joseph Phelps 2012 - $80

Spain

Vega Sicilia Unico 2002 - $425 $410 - 93pts

CVNE Rioja Gran Reserva Imperial 2009 - $45 $170 - 93pts

Italy

Sassicaia 2011 - $230 $235 - 95pts

Sassicaia 2010 - $225 $225 - 94pts

Tignanello 2013 - $80 $105 - 94pts

France

Joseph Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 1997 - $150

Beaucastel CDP 2008/2009 - $110 '08=$99 & '09=$120 - '08=93pts & '09=96pts

Pichon Baron 2008 - $130 $81 - 91pts

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 2005 - $150 $101 - 92pts

Chateau Margaux 2006 - $600 $650 - 92pts

Desert wines

Chataeu d'Yquem 2005 (375ml) - $200 $395 - 97pts

Hetszolo Tokaji 5 Puttonyos 2008 - $80

Fronseca 10 year Tawny - $45

Thanks again Wes for reminding me of the excellent wines and value you had on the Wind recently. That Guado al Tasso from Antinori looks like a winner at $90. And, as you know, Ornellaia is one of my favs, so I'm dreamin' of an '04 or '07 if they still have those lying around on the Silver Spirit.

We really enjoyed the Italian wines on the connoisseur list--a few at a very reasonable price point

Brian, you're welcome, Fair Winds and Following Seas and Cheers for your Spirit cruise.

Since our TA was so generous on our Silver Wind cruise last month, we enjoyed some nice Italian wines with lunch in La Terraza--you may want to give Polenza and Summus at reasonable price points (about $50-65) a taste. One we missed but would defintely try is the exceptionally priced CVNE Rioja Gran Riserva.

Look forward to your posts (and wine reports) while on board.

Edited by WesW

... And, I must say, the Spanish Imperial looks like a steal at $45, as does the French d'Yquem at $200.

Would you let me know who the head sommelier is on board when you departed?

Happy New Year!

I really enjoyed the Rioja but actually my wine-searcher.com search showed an average price closer to $66. Also, note that the Chateau d'Yquem was for a half bottle. The wine list didn't actually say but when I went to order a bottle that info came out so I passed.

Sorry, can't remember the name of the head sommelier but she was a young lady from Serbia.

I have iPad pics of the rest of the the list. If you PM me your email address I'll send them to you - or someone else that can figure out how to post them in this thread.

I really enjoyed the Rioja but actually my wine-searcher.com search showed an average price closer to $66. Also, note that the Chateau d'Yquem was for a half bottle. The wine list didn't actually say but when I went to order a bottle that info came out so I passed.

Sorry, can't remember the name of the head sommelier but she was a young lady from Serbia.

I have iPad pics of the rest of the the list. If you PM me your email address I'll send them to you - or someone else that can figure out how to post them in this thread.

Thx texmanufan! I saw that on the d'yquem which is why I cut the price in half. A full bottle on release was almost $800. That's why I think the price is really good on the ship.

Also, I appreciate the additional context on the Rioja!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk