Flam-train and fjord safari-advice please

twobluecats

Good morning, all. My husband and I will be in Flam on May 2 from 7am-5:30pm as we arrive on the Celebrity Eclipse. We've booked the only train excursion that worked for our itinerary, and 8:30am departure. I'm hoping that someone will help with my confidence that this is a safe time to go considering our arrival time into Flam.

We are also on the brink of booking the fjord safari RIP boat ride that departs at 1:45pm and returns at 4pm. Am I correct to believe that taking part in these two activities is reasonable within the time we are in Flam?

If we had to give up one (I paid cancellation insurance for the train), which would you recommend?

Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated!

Theresa

We did the Flam Railway in May 2016. Very close to where the ship docks. It was a fabulous trip with wonderful scenery. I can't remember the exact duration but was pretty much on time. I guess as long as you disembark In time you will be fine. No reserved seats, there was a line which got very long.

I can't comment on the RIP boat ride other than it looked really good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May 2 the Eclipse is the only ship in Flam and it is docked. 5 minutes walk from pier to train. Train trip is a total of two hours. Back again 10:35. So plenty of time for both the train and the RIP boat ride. There is a museum as well as nice walks from 10:30 am to 1:45pm

• 2 weeks later...
Good morning, all. My husband and I will be in Flam on May 2 from 7am-5:30pm as we arrive on the Celebrity Eclipse. We've booked the only train excursion that worked for our itinerary, and 8:30am departure. I'm hoping that someone will help with my confidence that this is a safe time to go considering our arrival time into Flam.

We are also on the brink of booking the fjord safari RIP boat ride that departs at 1:45pm and returns at 4pm. Am I correct to believe that taking part in these two activities is reasonable within the time we are in Flam?

If we had to give up one (I paid cancellation insurance for the train), which would you recommend?

Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated!

Theresa

We're hoping to do the same in August. We've booked the 8:30a train and would like to do the RIB in the afternoon. Princess sponsored tours don't jive. Did you book the RIB directly with a private company?

Edited by MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

Flam is teeny tiny and Norwegians are prompt, so I think you will be fine to do both. When you go to the train, the RIB boat is a little wooden hut to the left on the water.

I suggest taking any stuff back to the ship before the boat - all you need is a camera.

If you want to have lunch off the ship, Aegir Brewery is interesting, and the restaurant in the train had fresh local food when we were there last summer. Friends raved about the little cafe in the red house kind of up the hill from the hotel.

Have fun - the RIB safari was my favorite thing in Norway!