Carnival Shareholders

smj777

If you post Southampton a copy of your Share Certificate they will hold it on file for future applications.

They won't do that any more as the certificate only proves you had shares at that point in time.

You need to prove you still hold the shares for each cruise you book and provide evidence when the balance has been paid.

Since they stopped accepting email attachments of a statement of your current share holding, we've done a screen dump of the redacted statement (personal account details removed) from our bank then sent a print out to the Carnival address already posted. Confirmation of receipt and notification of the benefits being applied usually arrives by email within a couple of days.

Edited by kruzseeka

• 9 months later...

I haven't seen this question posted so I am hoping there are other Canadians who may benefit from my question.

I am a Canadian who is interested in purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp. so I too can receive the on board credit while cruising primarily on Princess and HAL ships.

My question is in regards to the value of this investment for Canadians.

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

Greatly appreciate any information provided.

I haven't seen this question posted so I am hoping there are other Canadians who may benefit from my question.

I am a Canadian who is interested in purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp. so I too can receive the on board credit while cruising primarily on Princess and HAL ships.

My question is in regards to the value of this investment for Canadians.

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

Greatly appreciate any information provided.

You might get a quicker answer on the Princess boards, there are more Canadians on there and not many on here.

Edited by CCFC

• 3 weeks later...

My IFA has just revamped my stocks and shares ISA portfolio, and I noticed that it now includes some Carnival shares. I briefly became quite excited, until I checked and found that I had precisely 12 shares, rather a long way short of the 100 required to get the shareholder benefit!

My IFA has just revamped my stocks and shares ISA portfolio, and I noticed that it now includes some Carnival shares. I briefly became quite excited, until I checked and found that I had precisely 12 shares, rather a long way short of the 100 required to get the shareholder benefit!

What price did he buy them at? They are rather high atm; is he expecting them to go higher?

I'd be looking for another IFA. Seriously it really is worth talking to your advisor and giving him/her some guidance re share purchases. You will have paid dealing charges for £600 worth of shares that give no Carnival OBC. They have been a great investment over the past couple of years, but could be a bit tippy just now.

But 11 shares, I certainly wouldn't be pleased.

David

What price did he buy them at? They are rather high atm; is he expecting them to go higher?

My understanding is that your IFA should have spoken with you and you should sign off on any sale/purchase within your portfolio. If your IFA failed to do this, he is non-compliant. However if he is a Discretionary Fund Manager, it's okay for him to do this within his discretionary powers. What's his status? I'd still have a chat with him though - 12 shares? No immediate benefit there. Even if they do rise, not much profit on 12 shares either. :(

I'd be looking for another IFA. Seriously it really is worth talking to your advisor and giving him/her some guidance re share purchases. You will have paid dealing charges for £600 worth of shares that give no Carnival OBC. They have been a great investment over the past couple of years, but could be a bit tippy just now.

But 11 shares, I certainly wouldn't be pleased.

David

12 shares. Of course they are only a very small part of my overall portfolio. I don't suppose that Carnival OBC was an element in the calculations. He wouldn't even have known that I cruised with P&O.

My understanding is that your IFA should have spoken with you and you should sign off on any sale/purchase within your portfolio. If your IFA failed to do this, he is non-compliant. However if he is a Discretionary Fund Manager, it's okay for him to do this within his discretionary powers. What's his status? I'd still have a chat with him though - 12 shares? No immediate benefit there. Even if they do rise, not much profit on 12 shares either. :(

Discretionary Fund Manager I think. I signed off on the investment strategy of my portfolio, but not on the individual components of it.

Edited by jh1809

12 at say £40 each for a total of £480 is an extremely small transaction - the cost of the dealing commission for such small trades will eat some or all of the dividends and stock price increases.

The cheapest trading commissions I'm aware of are around the £7 mark. So let's assume that's what you were charged, and on top of that is the 0.5% stamp duty so you'll (probably) have been charged 2%. Ouch.

I'm surprised that your fund manager deals in such small amounts. You might want to look at all the trades he's made in the past year and also have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churning_(finance) .

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

12 at say £40 each for a total of £480 is an extremely small transaction - the cost of the dealing commission for such small trades will eat some or all of the dividends and stock price increases.

The cheapest trading commissions I'm aware of are around the £7 mark. So let's assume that's what you were charged, and on top of that is the 0.5% stamp duty so you'll (probably) have been charged 2%. Ouch.

I'm surprised that your fund manager deals in such small amounts. You might want to look at all the trades he's made in the past year and also have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churning_(finance) .

VP

This isn't an appropriate place to discuss my financial affairs in any detail, but the Carnival shares were just one small element of creating the portfolio, with a lot of shares in other companies being bought at the same time, the total purchase coming to a pretty big amount. I imagine the dealing fees would reflect that. My advisor is also part of a firm who will continually be buying shares for other of their clients, and it may be that they would be able to aggregate the purchases to reduce the fees.

This isn't an appropriate place to discuss my financial affairs in any detail, but the Carnival shares were just one small element of creating the portfolio, with a lot of shares in other companies being bought at the same time, the total purchase coming to a pretty big amount. I imagine the dealing fees would reflect that. My advisor is also part of a firm who will continually be buying shares for other of their clients, and it may be that they would be able to aggregate the purchases to reduce the fees.

Don't think they could do that, shares have to be bought in the name of the purchaser and they can't be divided out or a bulk purchase. One other point to note is it's not a good idea to ask for dividends to be added to the holding on small holdings. The dealing charges are out of proportion to the size of the deal. I have mine held on account within my HL account and wait for it to build up before reinvesting.

DAVID.

• 4 weeks later...

Just looking at applying for shareholder OBC for our May cruise, and checking the current amount, hopefully, due to Sterlings devaluation, the current £150 for 14+day cruises should increase to £200 if Carnival extend the perk for another 12 months in this years AGM.

Unfortunately any new amount won't apply until Aug 1st cruises.