Transatlantic Business Class Flights

MBP&O2/O

I am currently sorting out my flights from Newcastle to San Juan.

Would anyone care to offer an opinion on the best airline for a couple who want to sit together in Business Class?

I am currently looking at Aer Lingus whose B/C is configured 1x2x1 and 1x2x2 .. slightly odd but hey ho:)

My second consideration is Delta who configure their B/C as 1x2x1. This looks fine apart from the fact that Mrs B would prefer to have an option of looking out of the window:confused:

I am looking at these two companies because they both fly from Dublin where you can pre-clear US Customs and Immigration and arrival at JFK is treated as a domestic flight. Transfers to the connecting flight are sterile as they are in the same terminal.

Other airlines that I can use are BA, AA, UA or Virgin and I am not enamoured with any of them - especially as AA & UA use - from Dublin - antique 757's for the flight! BA & VS use Heathrow which is a chore.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

WSJ just named DL the 2nd best US airline today (after Alaska) so I'd go with them. (AA was in 9th and last place.) I've flown DL international business class. Flat beds, good food and the best wine list in the air according to Wine Spectator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We fly lots of DL transatlantics. The 1-2-1 is usually very nice for a couple. However, if you sit in the 2 middle seats you do give up the window seat option. Usually the two seats face forward. On some planes they are angled, so you're a little further apart than optimal. Also, sometimes there's a high metal divider between the seats which you can remove if you're a couple who wants to not be separated from each other. [emoji1]

AF has nice TA planes with most (if not all) having a group of two seats on each side (i.e., 2-2-2 or 2-3-2). Those outside twosomes are nice for couples where one wants a window seat. But that does you no good from Ireland.

Personally, I'd take DL and the middle two seats. On a TA, there isn't much to see, unless your route is northerly enough to fly over Greenland. On a clear day, that's spectacular!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

My two cents:

Unless you have Global Entry, IMO CBP pre-clearance at Dublin is worth far, far, far more than any possible seating arrangement. I know this from many, many year's experience of loooooong CBP lines at JFK - I now have GE, what an improvement!

Wide body planes with BC lie flat seats are worth far, far more than any possibly preferred routing served by narrow bodies; old 757's with only reclining seats shouldn't be flying long hauls. (The upgraded AA 752's are a bit different - not great but better than they were.) Seatguru is your friend here.

Airline status may get you a better deal now, and earned points may be able to get you cheaper flights in the future. Sign up with a member of only one group (e.g. Oneworld, or Star Alliance) and stick with that group to get the most status quicker.

So, consider these three variables and permutate them into the best fit for you - and just remember, over the Atlantic, window seat pax usually get a great view of clouds ... and more clouds ... and more ...

My two cents:

Unless you have Global Entry, IMO CBP pre-clearance at Dublin is worth far, far, far more than any possible seating arrangement. I know this from many, many year's experience of loooooong CBP lines at JFK - I now have GE, what an improvement!

Wide body planes with BC lie flat seats are worth far, far more than any possibly preferred routing served by narrow bodies; old 757's with only reclining seats shouldn't be flying long hauls. (The upgraded AA 752's are a bit different - not great but better than they were.) Seatguru is your friend here.

Airline status may get you a better deal now, and earned points may be able to get you cheaper flights in the future. Sign up with a member of only one group (e.g. Oneworld, or Star Alliance) and stick with that group to get the most status quicker.

So, consider these three variables and permutate them into the best fit for you - and just remember, over the Atlantic, window seat pax usually get a great view of clouds ... and more clouds ... and more ...

Some great advice here, worth much more than 2 cents. Global Entry plus carry-on luggage is the best thing since sliced bread! 10 minutes or less to get from the gate to the Air Train at JFK. Love it!

Also agree that most 757s aren't set up as nicely as a true international business class. We've flown the DL versions to and from some Central and South America destinations. Not like the wide-body planes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

May I recommend the daily BA flight from London City to JKF? Small plane - 32 seats, business class only- and all seats are 2x2 and the flight stops at Shannon to refuel and does US entry clearance there so it arrives as a domestic flight at JFK. Usual flat beds so reasonably comfortable

Downside is that the lounge facilities at LCY are minimal but it is one of the easiest and pleasantest airports to get through, I find anyway, and so you don't need to spend hours there, unless you want to.

Some people can't bear BA anymore, I know, but this is a good product IMHO.

Rp

Mike

Norwegian do direct flights from Gatwick to San Juan if thats any use. (Cheap fares too!) Appreciate its a distance from Newcastle but worth mentioning...

Our flights coming in a a few weeks fly out of Heathrow with BA to JFK and then 6 hours later to San Juan on AA. Direct would have been so much better! (They did have flights with 2 hour connections but dunno how thats possible let alone likely once youve clearly customs. immigration and baggage reclaim before security for the 2nd leg.

Edited by les37b

Thanks all:)

I agree that DUB with the pre-clearance is the way to go. I read somewhere it completes in less than 5 minutes .... thinks Miami ... and make that 65 minutes!

As pointed out, there is not a lot to see at 38000 feet - especially on a night flight ... it wouldn't bother me not seeing a great deal.

I had been looking at LCY to JFK but it is an absolute pain to get too - plus it will mean an overnight in London. Shame really because it is a nice idea.

I looked at Norwegian as well, but there are now no direct flights to LGW so it would be NCL LHR BUS ... plus an overnight at LGW - which I can live with, but coming back at 6am ... pure hassle getting back to LHR.

I have passed my thoughts onto my TA and it will be interesting to see their views:rolleyes: ............ and prices:(

WSJ just named DL the 2nd best US airline today (after Alaska) so I'd go with them. (AA was in 9th and last place.) I've flown DL international business class. Flat beds, good food and the best wine list in the air according to Wine Spectator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being voted second best US airline is like being voted second best baker of croissants in the US. It's not a very high bar. Many foreign carriers are far superior. I'd opt for Are Lingus both for the pre clearance and the friendliness of the staff. Their new business class product is very nice.

Hah! Just to confuse the issue .... my TA, who is normally very good (well I used them three times AND trusted them with my daughters honeymoon!) has come back to me and said they don't have an agreement / arrangement with either Air Lingus or Delta and have suggested that If I insist on flying with them then I may need to make my own independent arrangements!!!

They are a BA 'preferred partner' which gets me free seat assignments etc so I looked at the LCY flights but they seem even more expensive that the LHR flights, so I think I'll stick with Air Lingus - for the convenience if nothing else.

Now I need to find a good TA who will arrange the flights that I require, plus the inter island flights and accommodations as we are staying over a few days after the cruise.

I believe that recommendations are not allowed on the public forum .... are they allowed by pm's?

Thanks

Mike

Hah! Just to confuse the issue .... my TA, who is normally very good (well I used them three times AND trusted them with my daughters honeymoon!) has come back to me and said they don't have an agreement / arrangement with either Air Lingus or Delta and have suggested that If I insist on flying with them then I may need to make my own independent arrangements!!!

They are a BA 'preferred partner' which gets me free seat assignments etc so I looked at the LCY flights but they seem even more expensive that the LHR flights, so I think I'll stick with Air Lingus - for the convenience if nothing else.

Now I need to find a good TA who will arrange the flights that I require, plus the inter island flights and accommodations as we are staying over a few days after the cruise.

I believe that recommendations are not allowed on the public forum .... are they allowed by pm's?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

As Aer Lingus has a code share arrangement with BA, it might be wortwhile asking whether SS will book you on the Aer Lingus flights using the BA flight numbers. It might make your path easier and more fruitfull if you can quote the BA flight numbers when you call them.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/partners-and-alliances

Codeshares are a type of shared flight — one airline operates the flight, while other airlines may sell seats on the flight under their own airline codes.

Alongside British Airways flights, we list many codeshare services on ba.com operated by our oneworld partners as well as Aer Lingus, airBaltic, Bangkok Airways, China Eastern, Flybe, Loganair, Meridiana fly and Vueling Airlines. We work closely with our partners to ensure you receive a level of service that closely matches our own.

The operating airline is shown on the flig

You might also recheck that both you and SS have a common understanding of "free seat assignments", if by that you ere expecting to be able to choose your preferred seats for free once you have a PNR. Unless you are traveling in First it is most unlikely that you will be able to choose seats without a payment. What they may mean is that they have an allocation of seats that are currently "free" ie unsold / untaken on BA flights. I think there might have been a miscommunication perhaps?

Hope the suggestion is helpful.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks .

I am looking at B/C flights in any case, but I dread to think the extra pennies involved for a transfer across London from T5 and an overnight hotel. Probably the same as an economy flight!!!

I wasn't aware that Aer Lingus had joined up with 'Oneworld' ... so that is another option to explore.

What I meant by seat assignments was that when we booked long hail with my current - soon to be ex - t/a they booked specific seat for us. BA were charging £copious for this but the t/a did it for free. They said that this was a 'perk of a preferred partner'? Having said with the economic climate as it is then that perk may well have been eroded.

My two cents:

Good advice. A comment, though, on lie flat seats. I pretty much never use the feature when flying westward as the OP is doing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums