Options for non-formal dining (Ventura)

CaraLark

So, we are booked on a 4 night mini cruise next month. Husband and teen don't fancy the black tie!

Can anyone advise what our dining options might be for non- formal dining when the ship is otherwise in formal mode?

Thanks!

It's really just the buffet restaurant. Also, on a formal night, dome of the bars also require formal dress. But the theatre and main entertainment are ok either smart casual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ChrisPBacon

According to the P&O website, the dress code applies to the following areas:

Red Bar, Metropolis, Cinnamon, Saffron, Bay Tree, Sindhu, The Glass House and The Epicurean restaurants.

The first cruise we ever did my OH hired a DJ and I just took a couple of dresses I'd worn at weddings. I didn't feel at all out of place so please don't feel it has to be the full works.

As thejuggler said, a dark suit is fine and also when we did a short cruise on Ventura last year we saw lots of teens wearing exactly what they would do on a night out at home with maybe a bit of bling added.

Many thanks for the responses. It's not so much the dressing part, but son thinks will feel very awkward- he also has a learning disability and can get very stressed at times, which clearly I'm keen to avoid.

It's good to know we have other options available. Thank you

Casual dining options on Ventura on formal nights are :

The Waterside buffet - this is free with plenty of space.

The Beach House - Aft of the Waterside buffet. An American diner with a small cover charge and some charged for items - good value for money

The Glass House - A bar with food available priced per item. The P&O web site is wrong about it being formal. It is definitely evening casual - no shorts after 6pm.

All the important parts of the ship accept evening casual dress, however Metropolis and the Red Bar are formal.

Glass House.is formal on Black Tie nights!!!!!

No it is not, it is evening casual. I was on a 12 night cruise on Ventura over xmas and we had 3 formal nights. The horizon newsletter did not list the Glasshouse as formal and there were no notices outside stating that black tie code was required. I was there on all 3 formal nights and men were dressed in evening casual wear. They did strictly enforce the no shorts after 6pm rule.

This is a logical situation in that the glasshouse is a transit area to/from the theatre and public toilets forward plus doors to the promenade deck. It would be extremely difficult to try and impose a formal dress code and on the area in such circumstances. Also, the concept of the glasshouse is a relaxed bar serving good wine and food.

I know the corporate bean counters want to change it into a restaurant as evidenced on the Aurora and Britannia where the size of the bar area has been considerably reduced.

What it says on the P&O site should be taken with a pinch of salt, after all they state that Oceana has a Crows Nest :confused::rolleyes:

Many thanks for the responses. It's not so much the dressing part, but son thinks will feel very awkward- he also has a learning disability and can get very stressed at times, which clearly I'm keen to avoid.

CaraLark, on our last cruise (2015) my teen son was at an age (and height) where he could no longer get away with a black school trousers, shirt and tie on formal nights. He was very anti suit or dinner jacket but agreed to one of each (we had 4 formal nights), especially as he could recycle one or the other for his school prom. In the end he actually quite liked wearing them and has worn them of his own volition when representing his school (he's in 6th form now, so no uniform), so you never know.

Also, if your son goes to the children's club, once he's there he can take off the jacket and tie and be comfortable.

Hope you enjoy your mini cruise. If you haven't cruised before beware, it could be the start of a very expensive, addictive hobby!

He may well feel more stressed if he wears different clothes to the majority and having a half way house solution may be a fall back option to stay less stressed.

Regards John

So, we are booked on a 4 night mini cruise next month. Husband and teen don't fancy the black tie!

Can anyone advise what our dining options might be for non- formal dining when the ship is otherwise in formal mode?

Thanks!

How old is your son? if under 15 he will get away with just wearing trousers and a shirt. My youngest son (who was 15 at the time) didn't want to dress up and when he went to the kids club they often had food sent to the club, so he didn't join us much for dinner and on some occasions he and the friends he made went to the buffet on their own.

As has been said, buffet and the beech house (£5 extra and then extra depending on what you order) but well worth it.

Also you could have a big meal lunchtime, afternoon tea which also serves hot food and then room service in the evening, We didn't go to the Glass House, so can't comment.

Formal can be just a jacket and trousers with a tie.

Have a great time, I'm sure you will.

Edited by mandylennon

That's a really good option if you want a special day without all the dressing up. Afternoon tea in the MDR served about 3ish I think. Completely free and in my humble opinion better than the one served in the Epicurean followed by dinner in the beach house. Its a bit theatrical with the kebabs served on huge skewers and the steaks on hot stones amazing. Think it was a £5 cover charge.

Liking the suggestion for a big meal at lunch and then afternoon tea, followed by room service!

The teen is a strapping 17 year old, he struggles with being sociable (above and beyond the usual teen tendency to grunt), mainly because he is very slow at processing information and can take a long time to form sentences etc. I suspect, as it's just a short 4 night cruise we will go with the brilliant suggestion of taking afternoon tea and then order some room service - or find one of the non-formal venues.

I'm hoping that by giving him a chance to try out a short cruise, with no major 'asks' of him that he will be able to relax and enjoy it - and therefore we can relax and enjoy it, and perhaps take a longer holiday and join in the Black tie fun.

Thanks again for all the help, and suggestions.

CaraLark, I think you should consider the evening buffet for your son. If you arrive early enough, you could hopefully ensure you get the same table/area which may be appreciated by your son and can hopefully provide him the opportunity of participating in his food choices. Apologies if I have misunderstood the needs of your son.