Black Tie dress code

danielundecided

Black suit and bow tie, regardless of colour, seems to be the norm and that's all I've ever taken. On a slightly different note, do they still have those awful "jacket required" nights? I always found them rather pointless.

No.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Black suit and bow tie, regardless of colour, seems to be the norm and that's all I've ever taken. On a slightly different note, do they still have those awful "jacket required" nights? I always found them rather pointless.

You mean the 'tramps convention' nights. thankfully they are no more :D

Tramps Convention - very funny :D!

Anyway, that's good news. I took my jacket off in a bar on the Aurora once because it was so hot and was immediately approached by a waiter asking me to put it back on again. Pity he wasn't so quick with our drinks!

Tramps Convention - very funny :D!

Anyway, that's good news. I took my jacket off in a bar on the Aurora once because it was so hot and was immediately approached by a waiter asking me to put it back on again. Pity he wasn't so quick with our drinks!

Reading between the lines on this, I am suspecting the waiter was Cruise Puss.

Lol John

It depends if you are cruising locally or flying in. We have strict baggage restrictions flying from Australia. Last P&O cruise we left from our home port but flew home from Hong Kong. My husband took 2 suits - a bespoke charcoal almost black suit and his dinner suit. Found the dinner suit was not totally necessary so we packaged it up and mailed it back home from Darwin - left more room for shopping. This year we are flying from Australia to SanFrancisco and then flying home from Southampton so only 1 suit will be going. I also only take 3 cocktail dresses and cycle through them. They are all able to be folded into a 4 litre zip lock back to take up less room. mummsie

I have noticed lately there seems to be a trend to wear bow tie with normal shirt and not wing tips. Why ? It looks weird and what is the point, am I missing something ?

Strictly speaking a turn down collars (as opposed to "wing tips") is the correct shirt to wear with black tie, wing tips are traditionally for wearing with full tails. But they are virtually interchangeable now days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I say come across I mean by talking to them on the ship. As it happens we have flown down once before I started to use my scooter. Now it is just too much hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My apologies for laughing Dai, but on reading your post, I had this vision of you hurtling down the A1 on your scooter.......:D:D:D

PS. Will be in your neck of the woods beginning of May.....or will you be on another cruise.....?

My apologies for laughing Dai, but on reading your post, I had this vision of you hurtling down the A1 on your scooter.......:D:D:D

PS. Will be in your neck of the woods beginning of May.....or will you be on another cruise.....?

No, that's ridiculous, Dai's scooter is not a road vehicle, it flies thus negating the need for an aircraft.

Lol John

Hi All,

Going on my First P&O cruise in March and was wondering how many formal nights there are likely to be on a 7 night cruise?

Also whats the typical dress code for non formal nights?

I would typically wear chinos/polo shirts for dinner on other cruise lines.

Any info much appreciated.

Hi All,

Going on my First P&O cruise in March and was wondering how many formal nights there are likely to be on a 7 night cruise?

Also whats the typical dress code for non formal nights?

I would typically wear chinos/polo shirts for dinner on other cruise lines.

Any info much appreciated.

Two nights on a 7 nighter and your evening casual wear is spot on for a evening casual night.

If I may ask a question, I'm going on my first ever cruise in September - 7 nights on Azura. Ladies, this question is for you: does everyone tend to wear black or other dark colours on formal nights? I love vibrant colours and was going to make at least one of my dresses a nice bright affair. Acceptable or should I go for black?? Also, I'm 5ft 2, are long dresses the norm? Don't want to look like a 4 year old who got into Mum's wardrobe 😄

Deep-Blue-Iris (love the name), you can wear any colour of formal wear you like. My four for the next cruise are bright turquoise, burgundy, navy and black and gold. In the past I have seen the whole range of colours so whatever you choose will be fine. Your dresses don't have to be long for a formal night, a smart cocktail dress will be fine. You will find however that the majority will be long. I am 5' 2" also and have had to have my dresses shortened and never feel uncomfortable wearing them - there are a lot of us shorties about. The main thing to do is relax, do not worry and have a great time. Azura is brilliant, we are on her again in May and next Feruary.

If I may ask a question, I'm going on my first ever cruise in September - 7 nights on Azura. Ladies, this question is for you: does everyone tend to wear black or other dark colours on formal nights? I love vibrant colours and was going to make at least one of my dresses a nice bright affair. Acceptable or should I go for black?? Also, I'm 5ft 2, are long dresses the norm? Don't want to look like a 4 year old who got into Mum's wardrobe 😄

You will be perfectly fine in vibrant colours, you will see all sorts I assure you.

You may also have a tropical night, where obviously the more vibrant the better!.

Cheers ,thats great news.

Just need to shift the weight I put on, on my last Cruise in September or I'll have to buy or new Tux!

Don't have to wear a tux, dark suit, shirt and tie is fine and dress code acceptable. Do me, have to fly 10,000 miles to get on Adonia next year. Excess baggage an issue, as always.

Don't have to wear a tux, dark suit, shirt and tie is fine and dress code acceptable. Do me, have to fly 10,000 miles to get on Adonia next year. Excess baggage an issue, as always.

10,000 MILES!!! After all that by the time I'd relaxed the cruise would be over! Forgot about you poor folks that have to come from Aus!!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10,000 MILES!!! After all that by the time I'd relaxed the cruise would be over! Forgot about you poor folks that have to come from Aus!!

Dan

By gum Dan m'lad...Yes, long journeys to Europe. Done it half a dozen times over the years. That is why we are doing B2B cruises on Adonia plus a nieces wedding at Stow in the Cotswolds, plus some more motoring around England's green and pleasant land. Away a couple of months. Always have a couple of nights stopover on the 24 hour flights too.

Have ye not been to the land down under? I have been to Notts. Not much of Nottingham Forest left.

Edited by NSWP

By gum Dan m'lad...Yes, long journeys to Europe. Done it half a dozen times over the years. That is why we are doing B2B cruises on Adonia plus a nieces wedding at Stow in the Cotswolds, plus some more motoring around England's green and pleasant land. Away a couple of months. Always have a couple of nights stopover on the 24 hour flights too.

Have ye not been to the land down under? I have been to Notts. Not much of Nottingham Forest left.

If you're going to fly that long you might as well get the most out of it!

I've never been to Oz before but I'd like to. I think it's a bit far though as I loathe flying and after I've come back from Florida this year I don't think I want to fly long haul again unless it's for work. Even when I'm travelling for work in business it still seems really cramped and stressful. Blegh. I really don't pay attention to football. I'm not really a sports person, which is ironic because I live somewhat close to Trent bridge and I dislike cricket as well.

Anyway, good luck packing everything (including your formal wear). Starting now you might finish by May ;)

-----

I'm somewhat surprised at how little men wear suits instead of tuxes. Each to their own I guess!

Dan

I know this is a P&O thread, but just back off Fred O's Balmoral and was really surprised at the number of people not dressing for formal nights. It's the first time that I have seen loads of people in the bar in casual wear and using the buffet instead of the MDR. I think the days of formal nights will be over in a year or so.

I know this is a P&O thread, but just back off Fred O's Balmoral and was really surprised at the number of people not dressing for formal nights. It's the first time that I have seen loads of people in the bar in casual wear and using the buffet instead of the MDR. I think the days of formal nights will be over in a year or so.

That's very interesting. Would love to know the other major differences between Fred Olsen and P&O. I'm very tempted to look at them because their itineraries are far more interesting and varied than P&O's (which have become very repetitive), but Mrs Selbourne is not so keen, preferring to stick with what we know. Not sure what their smoking policy is. If they still allow smoking on balconies then I definitely wouldn't consider them either. I have too many bad memories from when P&O allowed this!

Hi, yes smoking allowed on balconies. I happened to read that in the blurb. Didn't see that many smokers though outside where it's allowed.

Some differences are better. Their buffet is really good. You are shown to a table. Coffee and tea is brought along with toast at breakfast. Things that have disappeared are body lotion, shampoo etc. in the cabin. There is tea and coffee, but no biccies.

We were on free drinks and grats, so it was rather nice to have a very tiny bill on disembarkation. £19 to be precise for two bottles of dutyfree whisky!!

CD was very good. Shows were fairly good. One male singer should have stayed in the working mens club where he started :-(

Hi first time cruiser on Britannia 10th February. Am taking a Tux but don't fancy 4 formal nights. What bars/restaurants am I allowed to go in on a formal night wearing non-formal clothes

Thanks David

I don't but my wife likes dressing up. I don't get any joy out of looking like another 1500 blokes on the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't bother with formal nights so use the theatre and nightclub only on those nights. In warm climates I go for a swim or take some exercise. I eat in the buffet which is perfectly OK; in fact in some respects it's better for me as I'm a fussy eater.

I don't bother with formal nights so use the theatre and nightclub only on those nights. In warm climates I go for a swim or take some exercise. I eat in the buffet which is perfectly OK; in fact in some respects it's better for me as I'm a fussy eater.

I wish I could do the same. I know some look forward to dressing up on holiday, but I want to relax and fell totally relaxed at dinner too. Smart casual suits me just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk