opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, the best place to read about this is the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

Notice I said "read". Tipping can be an exceptionally hot topic on these boards. It is discussed all the time, and it can get heated. Just a warning of what you might be in for.

If you mean does the crew know you have 'opted out', the answer is yes.

They have to account for why they think one of their guests (dining and cabin stewards etc) would not want to tip and they will be asked if there is something more they could/should be doing to make your cruise better.

A list is posted in crew area of those who remove tips from their account.

My question is Do you want to tip the cabin steward and waitstaff yourself rather that via the autotip or are you just looking to stiff them like most who get rid of the autotip.

If you want to tip them your self, then you will need lots of cash. The waitstaff you see for breakfast and lunch will be different each day. Same if you have Anytime Dining. So you will have to tip these people every day.

My question is Do you want to tip the cabin steward and waitstaff yourself rather that via the autotip or are you just looking to stiff them like most who get rid of the autotip.

If you want to tip them your self, then you will need lots of cash. The waitstaff you see for breakfast and lunch will be different each day. Same if you have Anytime Dining. So you will have to tip these people every day.

:) I don't think that is her plan........

LOL No I do not want to stiff them. I would like to tip as I go along as I believe if the service is not up to standard then they do not deserve my tip, also if they are exceptional they deserve extra. Also my son who is 13 is travelling with me, I do not agree to the cruise liner charging a 13 yr old a daily fee for service (at the end of the day he's only a child) but hey that's just my opinion. Bearing in mind this my first ever cruise and I just want to enjoy it and not be stiffed myself :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, if you remove the auto gratuity, any cash tip you give anyone has to be handed in and added to the pool. Only after distribution are they allowed to keep any extra.

You really aren't doing anyone any favors.

With regards to your 13 year old, will he be eating, getting served, having the steward clean up the room he is sleeping in? If so, why would you stiff them?

LOL No I do not want to stiff them. I would like to tip as I go along as I believe if the service is not up to standard then they do not deserve my tip, also if they are exceptional they deserve extra. Also my son who is 13 is travelling with me, I do not agree to the cruise liner charging a 13 yr old a daily fee for service (at the end of the day he's only a child) but hey that's just my opinion. Bearing in mind this my first ever cruise and I just want to enjoy it and not be stiffed myself :rolleyes:

Since this is your first cruise perhaps you don't understand that the word "tip" is really a misnomer. It's not a "tip" in the sense of "rewarding exceptional service" but really a supplement to their income, which is why some lines now call it a "service charge", similar to what is tacked on to the price quoted at many hotels. And you likely would not be able to find everyone who gets a share of the service charge that is part of the "auto-tip".

Your son, at 13, will sleep in a bed and use towels/washcloths (changing the sheets, doing the linen, cleaning the cabin -- that person gets part of the service charge). He'll eat meals somewhere on the ship -- the waitstaff, whether they're in the main dining room or those that service the buffet, or the smaller restaurants, including the specialty restaurants, all get part of the service charge (auto-tip). Some of the behind the scenes staff get part of it as well.

If you leave the auto-tip in place for both of you, that'll satisfy the "service charge" part of the cruise costs. If someone does provide even more exceptional service than what you'll get, you can then tip extra, above and beyond the basic service charge.

Also, if the service is lacking it's best to go to the front desk and let them know rather than cutting back on the gratuities. They can't fix what they don't know about.

And some of the gratuities go to "behind the scenes" folks that you never see but who are responsible for making your cruise go smoothly.

The tips are pooled, so unless you leave on the autotip, the person you tip will not get to keep it.

Also, if you eat at the buffet for breakfast, who will you tip that day? You could easily have three or for waiters bring you coffee and juice and refills as needed. One or more others might clear away your dishes. And there are the cooks and dishwashers. How will you track down the ones who helped you?

Do some research on Cruise Critic and let us know that you've changed your mind after researching.

Also, if the service is lacking it's best to go to the front desk and let them know rather than cutting back on the gratuities. They can't fix what they don't know about.

And some of the gratuities go to "behind the scenes" folks that you never see but who are responsible for making your cruise go smoothly.

Just an FYI, the Customer Service desk is there for the money end of the hotel charges, they do not oversee or manage other departments. All they do if you have a complaint is to leave a message for the department management.

If you have a problem server, go to the restaurant manager, or head waiter. If you have a problem cabin attendant, call the housekeeping department. Not only will you get more prompt service, you can speak directly with their supervisor.

They don't manage maintenance either.

Just forget the idea of the auto-tip being a tip at all. It's salary for the staff, paid that way because it makes the headline price of the cruise cheaper. If you want to tip an individual for exceptional service, you must leave the auto-tip on.

Why would you think your son shouldn't have to pay? That's totally wrong. Heck, even people who bring infants on a ship have to tip. Doesn't matter if you're 1 or 100, gratuities are paid by everyone, because everyone is served in one way or another by crew members.

Your son will be using and dirtying sheets, towels and the cabin, that the steward has to clean. He will be dining at tables in the buffet that have to be cleaned by waiters. He will be eating food in the buffet that is serviced and prepared by crew members. If you eat in the main dining room, he will be served by waiters and have his dirty dishes removed by the assistant waiter. So, again, seeing he's using the services of all the crew, why shouldn't he have to pay for the service charges/tips?

BTW, you don't tip as you go. You don't leave money on the table in the main dining room or buffet. That's just not the way it's done on cruises.

OK, I think I now understand the OP's reticence for tipping. I may be wrong, but I believe she's from Europe, and part of the anti-tipping culture. Not a slam against the OP, but it does seem to follow that certain European cultures aren't pro tipping. OP, your country might not be part of the US tipping business, but since you're cruising a US based cruise line, that's how it goes, regardless of how anyone feels about it.

Just forget the idea of the auto-tip being a tip at all. It's salary for the staff, paid that way because it makes the headline price of the cruise cheaper. If you want to tip an individual for exceptional service, you must leave the auto-tip on.

Dingdingdingdingdingdingding!!!!!!!!!!!

We have another winner of the 'Figured It Out' sweepstakes!!

Congartulations! You win a Sledgehammer of Enlightenment to help instruct cruisers who don't comprehend the system in the proper ways!!!!

We haven't cruised with Princess in a long time (but not because it's a bad cruise line), but I can't imagine it would affect the level or type of service you receive. As others have mentioned, you don't tip as you go on cruises and crew members will have to account for why their service has caused you to remove the charges. They would also have to turn in any cash tips you give them, so it's not really beneficial.

But my real comment is that at the end of the day a 13 year old boy is hardly "only a child." He will require the same services as an adult and should be considered the same when it comes to service charges/tips.

beachchick

Exactly... I wish all the cruise lines would include it as a service charge, period, and advertise that 'tipping' is not required but acceptable for exemplary service.

Once again! the reason to take the auto tipping off is to not tip!

Personally I think the auto-tip should be manditory the way it is on a lot of land tours (tipping kitty). The reason that the tipping is set up this way is so that the cruise looks cheaper and also the cruise line does not pay TA comission on this amount.

You have to remember that the gratuity fund is a good part of their wages.

Archived