Carnival Shareholders

smj777

I see that Carnival shares are a good price at the moment. How many do have to buy to get shareholder benefits? I have a cruise booked for June but haven't paid the balance yet, will I get a discount when I do if I am a qualifying shareholder?

You need to buy 100 which is around £2,930. You can claim the on-board credit up to two weeks before sailing.

The credit gets reviewed at the annual meeting in March but has never been removed to my knowledge.

You need 100 shares. You have to apply for the benefit once you have paid the full balance of your cruise and no later than two weeks before departure. It does not matter when you buy the shares, you just need to verify ownership at the time you apply for the benefit. Thus if you are sailing in June you could buy the shares in May and still qualify.

Note that you can have only one benefit per cabin, so there is no advantage in two people sharing a cabin each owning shares.

Details here

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Brian

I bought my shares via the P&O links which means i have an actual share certificate. This makes applying for your onboard credit easy as you just email them quoting the cruise reference and your shareholder number and the credit is granted in a day or so.

mine cost £2200 and they are the best investment I have ever made. I get up to the equivalent of 20%+ tax free interest per year :D

I want to buy the shares but have never dabbled in this before and wouldnt even know how to but them. Any suggestions where i can look to buy?

Am not sure how you would go on in Ireland but in the UK you can buy through your bank or cheaper on line with various companies. Google "on line share dealing". Look for one that does not have an annual fee.

In addition to the cost of the shares, there is the dealing cost (£12 up) plus stamp duty at 0.5% (£15 on 100 shares at £30).

The current share price is £30.42.

Brian

This is from the P&O site

"To purchase shares in Carnival Corporation and/or Carnival plc please contact your bank, broker or look online.

Our Registrars are Equiniti Ltd and you may purchase Carnival shares from them on: 08456 037 037 (Calls cost 3.19p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge).

Equiniti will also help you with further share information regarding current share price, dividends, etc. You may also purchase a share certificate from Equiniti and once received and registered at this office, further proof of shares will not be required for future cruises."

Also 100 shares pays out a quarterly dividend of £15 to £20 depending on ROE.

It's been a good investment as we paid £22 , 5 years ago, it has been up to £39 but dropped back because of Zika fears. Investment aside it is only worth doing if you are or going to be a frequent cruiser with Carnival Group lines. Ken

You could just sign up for halifaxshare dealing account. Cost £12.50 plus stamp duty to buy shares. You can only deal while the market is open, you get 15 seconds to buy after you request a price, but you can deposit enough£ by card and deal immediately. You can leave a deal for the morning I.e saying buy 100 shares.

Finally took the plunge yesterday and booked via Hargeaves Lansdown on line.

All very straightforward, though I did have a bit of a panic when you have that 14 second countdown! Missed it the first time...

I was also very luck and managed to buy at £29 63 just as it was climbing up again from that big dip. Well chuffed for a first attempt at share buying.

I was astonished how the price had risen in the 10-15 minutes I was faffing about on line opening the account and deciding whether to go ahead though. Phew!!!!

I think I have set it up correctly to get the divi paid directly into my account and understand I have to email them with a booking reference when I want to claim my OBC.

Edited by Scriv

Finally took the plunge yesterday and booked via Hargeaves Lansdown on line.

I think I have set it up correctly to get the divi paid directly into my account and understand I have to email them with a booking reference when I want to claim my OBC.

I have mine with HL. There is an option to download a .pdf file showing your holding. I used to email this to P&O but they won't accept email attachments anymore so I now put it in the post.

Brian

Well, after my initial post, all the advice and comments persuaded me to buy 100 shares yesterday. My experience was just like Scriv's. All our buying yesterday obviously sent a message to the City and that's why the share price went up. :)

A capitalist at last!

I have mine with HL. There is an option to download a .pdf file showing your holding. I used to email this to P&O but they won't accept email attachments anymore so I now put it in the post.

Brian

I also have mine with HL..if you login to your account and send them a secure email from there with the details, ship, cruise number booking reference HL will sort it direct with P&O for you..they did for me at least :)

Thanks Janieb. That sounds even better. :)

Does the dividend get paid automatically into my bank account if I have chosen that option or do I have to 'claim' it?

Mine is paid automatically twice a year. For some reason the revenue got wind of it and want their share :mad: Never mind, they say my tax affairs are so simple i don't have to fill in a return anymore :) I suppose the couple of investments I have which pay gross interest must tell them about it.

I will be officially ancient next month, an OAP :eek:. The pension will come in handy as well and I got word today that it is a bit larger than i thought. I am going to spend it wisely and book better cabins in future. :D

HMRC want their 20% of that as well :rolleyes:

Thanks Janieb. That sounds even better. :)

Does the dividend get paid automatically into my bank account if I have chosen that option or do I have to 'claim' it?

HL will auto pay it in

You can also print out the statement with your account number crossed out and fax the details of your cruise to Carnival Share dept for the obc.

Edited by Pennbank

Yes, I have given all the details and have now set all my preferences, so raring to go. You have all been such a help to us new capitalists. It is a shame HMRC also want their share though, isn't it? :(

Edited by Scriv