Black Tie dress code

danielundecided

Hi,

I know we've got 4 months to go, but I'm wondering about what the norm is for men on the black tie nights.

I was thinking I'd take 2 of my work suits (with ties etc) as I just do not like the look of dinner jackets/tuxedos/bow ties. DS 14 and me have talked about it and we'll probably get him a suit sorted as well as he doesn't like the sound of a tux either.

Is this frowned upon? I'm sure I'm overthinking things but most places seem to only mention dinner jackets/tuxedos.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd suggest a white shirt and you'll be good to go.

Only thing is on the single 'black and white' formal night you will either stand out by wearing a coloured tie or potentially feel a bit funereal with a black tie

I think, for your first cruise, a business suit is fine. Don't stress. If you get the cruising bug you'll probably want to get a dinner suit. They're not expensive online or M&S or others. The ladies tend to love their men in James Bond mode!

A dark suit and tie is perfectly acceptable but the majority of men wear a dinner jacket.

See website

http://www.pocruises.com/what-to-wear/

Brian

Thanks, I'll check the link out

I'd suggest a white shirt and you'll be good to go.

Only thing is on the single 'black and white' formal night you will either stand out by wearing a coloured tie or potentially feel a bit funereal with a black tie

I think, for your first cruise, a business suit is fine. Don't stress. If you get the cruising bug you'll probably want to get a dinner suit. They're not expensive online or M&S or others. The ladies tend to love their men in James Bond mode!

My suits/trousers are in black/dark navy, my shirts are white and my ties are in dark colours ie. dark red so I think I'll be okay.

I got a nice dinner suit for our last few cruises but it doesn't fit me anymore (not really gained/lost much weight so don't know how that's happened!) and as I wouldn't get that much wear out of it I don't see the point in buying a new one

Dan

Black Tie is a dress code that for men consists of the traditional tuxedo and accompaniments: a black dinner jacket and matching trousers, an optional black formal waistcoat or black cummerbund, a white formal shirt, a black bow tie or alternatively a black long tie, black dress socks and black formal shoes. Fyi [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just take my dark suit and a black bow tie...as do plenty of others, you can also take a black shirt and white bow tie, my wife thinks that looks very smart also......do not get to hung up on the DJ and worrying if you will look out of place without one because it is fine if you dont really fancy wearing one ( many folks do though...thats their choice and good luck to them)...its certainly not my cup of tea..it'syour holiday and nobody ever takes any notice so long as you look respectable at dinner.:)

The least disruptive and most cost efficient way forward for you, in my opinion is to just take your darker suit and juj it up with a bow tie. If there is a "Black and White" themed formal evening a Black suit would be ideal and with a bow tie you do not look like a mourner. Alternatively buy a bow tie that matches or compliments your non black suit, if that is what you have. Not everybody participates in the "theme" but most follow the "formal" aspect and the foregoing will comply.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi,

I know we've got 4 months to go, but I'm wondering about what the norm is for men on the black tie nights.

I was thinking I'd take 2 of my work suits (with ties etc) as I just do not like the look of dinner jackets/tuxedos/bow ties. DS 14 and me have talked about it and we'll probably get him a suit sorted as well as he doesn't like the sound of a tux either.

Is this frowned upon? I'm sure I'm overthinking things but most places seem to only mention dinner jackets/tuxedos.

Dan[/url]

I enjoyed my first P&O cruise two weeks ago. I wore a dark navy business suit on the three formal nights, as I live on the U.S. west coast, and I seldom have the opportunity to wear a suit, much less a tuxedo. For "black and white night" I wore a solid navy silk tie with a white shirt to conform as closely as possible to the theme. I think I succeeded in blending in well enough.

The least disruptive and most cost efficient way forward for you, in my opinion is to just take your darker suit and juj it up with a bow tie. If there is a "Black and White" themed formal evening a Black suit would be ideal and with a bow tie you do not look like a mourner. Alternatively buy a bow tie that matches or compliments your non black suit, if that is what you have. Not everybody participates in the "theme" but most follow the "formal" aspect and the foregoing will comply.

Regards John

I was surprised that on a ship with roughly 900 male passengers, I was one of the very few to be in a business suit rather than a tuxedo on the three formal nights. I will likely invest in a tux prior to my next P&O cruise.

My husband wears a DJ quite often at home and on a cruise refuses to wear a bow tie. So... he wears a dinner suit with one of these sparkly ties from M&S, he has one in black and one in grey http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-silk-tie-with-swarovski-elements/p/p22474923?image=SD_03_T12_3034_Y0_X_EC_0&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp this would dress up a business suit I think [emoji4]

I was surprised that on a ship with roughly 900 male passengers, I was one of the very few to be in a business suit rather than a tuxedo on the three formal nights. I will likely invest in a tux prior to my next P&O cruise.

Exactly, although you can wear a business suit, few people do.

Most men wear Black Tie, that is the norm.

A ship with ladies in long dresses and men in black tie is a wonderful sight and, IMO (and my husband's) should be adhered to as much as possible.

There are plenty of cruise lines out there that do not require you to wear black tie at all. P&O do.

The problem is that although P&O use the term; Black Tie which has a strict definition they then expand upon this with a number of acceptable alternatives. So when the topic is discussed on here we need to know precisely what people are asking or talking about.

People have different opinions but quite often people; often, but not always newcomers, ask what is acceptable to P&O and get opinions from people as to what they personally find acceptable.

Regards John

Our Cruise Personaliser says our March cruise will have 3 Black Tie Nights and 9 Evening Casual Nights. We also discover there are 3 Theme nights, Black and White and 2 others.

Is it possible the themed Black and White night could be a casual night rather than a formal night?

Very many thanks for the advice on this forum. This will be our second P&O cruise and as before your comments are appreciated.

Len

Our Cruise Personaliser says our March cruise will have 3 Black Tie Nights and 9 Evening Casual Nights. We also discover there are 3 Theme nights, Black and White and 2 others.

Is it possible the themed Black and White night could be a casual night rather than a formal night?

Very many thanks for the advice on this forum. This will be our second P&O cruise and as before your comments are appreciated.

Len

The Black & White Theme Night is actually one of the Black Tie Formal Nights where all are supposed to wear B&W only. Its not strictly adhered to. The other Theme Nights are probably a 60's night and possibly a Carribean Night and again most don't bother.

Hi,

Dan

As several people have pointed out, the vast majority of men wear Dinner Jackets on Formal Nights rather than dark suits. However, at the end of the day its up to you what you wear.

I have a black suit, that I can use for other occasions, rather than have it sit in the wardrobe, only coming out for two cruises a year. I wouldn't want anyone to think (reading this thread) that they would feel out of place if they wear a normal black suit. They wouldn't.

But I do have a Caribbean shirt for that night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ChrisPBacon

As several people have pointed out, the vast majority of men wear Dinner Jackets on Formal Nights rather than dark suits. However, at the end of the day its up to you what you wear.

I have to say that's not my experience, especially as the cruise age comes down. I think many people don't always want to spend money on a dinner jacket for 2-4 nights on a cruise, when they have suits sat in a wardrobe.

The problem is that although P&O use the term; Black Tie which has a strict definition they then expand upon this with a number of acceptable alternatives. So when the topic is discussed on here we need to know precisely what people are asking or talking about.

People have different opinions but quite often people; often, but not always newcomers, ask what is acceptable to P&O and get opinions from people as to what they personally find acceptable.

Regards John

Thanks. I think I will go with a normal suit and a bow tie to not look like a funeral-goer on B&W night. I don't personally like the look of tuxedos, but as it's said I don't think it will be out of place that much not to wear one.

My husband wears a DJ quite often at home and on a cruise refuses to wear a bow tie. So... he wears a dinner suit with one of these sparkly ties from M&S, he has one in black and one in grey http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-silk-tie-with-swarovski-elements/p/p22474923?image=SD_03_T12_3034_Y0_X_EC_0&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp this would dress up a business suit I think [emoji4]

I love it! Certainly jazzes things up.

danielundesided

Looking at your post, and the cruises, that you say, you been on,this is nonsense, you are not a cruise virgin.

Sorry broth

I'm confused? Never stated I was a cruise virgin, just unsure of what to do next year!

Dan

Thanks. I think I will go with a normal suit and a bow tie to not look like a funeral-goer on B&W night. I don't personally like the look of tuxedos, but as it's said I don't think it will be out of place that much not to wear one.

Your cruise, your choice. However...a black bow tie and a normal suit?

In my opinion,a dark tie not black would look better. But really since you can buy a tux suit for £50, leaving it to sit in the cupboard for most of the year isn't really an issue.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a bit confused about all this 'tux talk'. Do you mean just a dinner suit? A black suit? Worn with a shirt, usually but not exclusively white, and a bow tie? How much does that vary from a black business suit?

If you mean a white dinner jacket, then that doesn't look like a black business suit but not so many wear them, particularly if it's not a Caribbean or similar cruise.

Each to their own.

I have to say that's not my experience, especially as the cruise age comes down. I think many people don't always want to spend money on a dinner jacket for 2-4 nights on a cruise, when they have suits sat in a wardrobe.

That may be the case for a 2-4 day cruise where there is only one Formal Night but I didn't get the impression that the OP was meaning a short cruise. From my experience of 14+ days where there are 3 or 4+ Formal Nights cruises by far the majority do wear dinner suits.

I'm just glad I'm not a man and have to worry about what to wear [emoji102] happy Christmas all, my next cruise is in 4 days and I haven't even contemplated packing other than the fact I've got two bottles of champagne to shove in the case [emoji4]