First time with P&O UK Any tips?

Kiwi_cruiser

Unlike most American cruise lines, P&O have the main restaurant (Medina) open at lunchtimes even when in port. No need to go to the buffet unless you really want to.

Also try the afternoon tea served in the Medina restaurant at 4pm. Lovely selection of finger sandwiches, scones and cake etc. Useful if you have been out all day.

Brian

Make sure you pack a jacket for the gentlemen. Dress code is strict and upheld so formal night at least a jacket and most will be wearing DJs.

Afternoon tea everyday in one of the restaurants

Free shuttle buses unless saver fare

No service charge on drinks

Unlimited drinks can be brought on board including spirits both at embarkation and at the ports.

Have low expectations for entertainment in the theatre

Coffee making facilities provided in all cabins

Reasonably priced tips

No drinks packages but cheaper drinks

Inferior buffet but MDR open for lunch everyday

Great British sailaway complete with flags and sing a longs on last port.

Valet parking at Southampton

More strict boarding times at embarkation

Make sure you pack a jacket for the gentlemen. Dress code is strict and upheld so formal night at least a jacket and most will be wearing DJs.

Unlimited drinks can be brought on board including spirits both at embarkation and at the ports.

Reasonably priced tips

Could that be said it better myself. I don't think the Australians have select/saver fares so not sure if you will have to pay for shuttles or not. Ask once on board. They scan everyone's cruise card as you board the coach..If you are going to be charged it will just appear on your statement.

Have a lovely cruise...You are travelling to a wonderful country.sort of maybe!!!!

Reasonably priced tips

Very well put.

Could I say you should have mentioned your excellent videos?

Very well put.

Could I say you should have mentioned your excellent videos?

Very kind :) One of the formals is black and white night so make sure you pack something appropriate. It can be all black for the ladies so it isn't hard to follow the dress code.

Here is a video of Britannia that we made on board. It tells you all about the facilities on board.

We also made a video of our cabin. Here is the link.

Edited by Jo and Rob

You might want to pack plug converters, we usually take an extension as never enough plugs for all the gadgets.

Also if you don't want to do formal you don't have to, but you will be restricted to the buffet and many areas of the ship may not allow you in if you don't observe the code.

There are lots of people who don't want to participate in formal and are happy to do their own thing on these evenings, I just thought it was worth highlighting the option [emoji4]

Hope you have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have chosen Freedom Dining and want a table for 2 for dinner, your options are: 1) start queuing outside the relevant restaurant about 30 minutes before it opens and eat when it opens OR eat about 90 minutes after it opens - there's very rarely anything in-between. Even for eating after 90 minutes you might need to turn up and get a pager around 30 minutes after opening. On my last cruise a few weeks ago, P&O had made some improvements, eg staggering the opening times of the two FD restaurants and giving couples exclusive use of tables for 8 or 10, but tables for 2 are still at a premium. Also, we never take afternoon tea, but the queues for that seem to start 30 minutes before opening too!

And expect the theatre to be full 30 minutes before the show starts.

Unlike most American cruise lines, P&O have the main restaurant (Medina) open at lunchtimes even when in port. No need to go to the buffet unless you really want to.

Also try the afternoon tea served in the Medina restaurant at 4pm. Lovely selection of finger sandwiches, scones and cake etc. Useful if you have been out all day.

Brian

G'day Brian, we are on Adonia in June 18. I am sure I read that MDR - Pacific Restaurant is not open for luncheon on port days. Do you know? I was on Aurora/Oriana Sept/Nov 2015 ago and their MDR's were open or luncheon port days and sea days.

If you have chosen Freedom Dining and want a table for 2 for dinner, your options are: 1) start queuing outside the relevant restaurant about 30 minutes before it opens and eat when it opens OR eat about 90 minutes after it opens - there's very rarely anything in-between. Even for eating after 90 minutes you might need to turn up and get a pager around 30 minutes after opening.

The other alternative is to turn up shortly before they close, so around 9.15pm.

And expect the theatre to be full 30 minutes before the show starts.

Personally never had a problem turning up a few minutes before the show starts.

But then if there are two empty seats but separated as people have left single seats between them, I will ask if people mind moving. I have never come across a gap saver who had the cheek to say no.

Personally never had a problem turning up a few minutes before the show starts.

But then if there are two empty seats but separated as people have left single seats between them, I will ask if people mind moving. I have never come across a gap saver who had the cheek to say no.

Varies by ship and by show, I guess, but on the Ventura last month staff were trying to find seats for people at least 20 minutes before the show started and asking people to move up (although I too am prepared to ask this myself). There were still people sitting on stairs (not sure about the safety aspects there!) or giving up and going away.

Do you need a jacket on normal nights? (non formal).

Reasonably priced tips

Can the tips be taken off?

Do you need a jacket on normal nights? (non formal).

Can the tips be taken off?

You do not need a jacket on any nights but those without jackets are confined to eating in the buffet for their evening meal and ther will be restricted access to other parts of the ship. I don't bother with formal evenings, never take a jacket and there is a substantial number of us (though the minority) who do likewise

The tips can be taken off by speaking to reception on Day 1 or 2. You will be required to fill out a form. I have only done it once but won't do so again as the staff are particularly good and work very hard for their gratuities.

Edited by whoops

Very kind :) One of the formals is black and white night so make sure you pack something appropriate. It can be all black for the ladies so it isn't hard to follow the dress code.

Here is a video of Britannia that we made on board. It tells you all about the facilities on board.

We also made a video of our cabin. Here is the link.

Hi,does that mean I wouldnt be allowed in with my grey lounge suit and tie which I always wear on Princess formal nights.I have got a black tie but not a black suit.Also my OH has a black dress but with gold sparkly bits,is that acceptable,cheers,Brian.

You can take power boards on board but you will need an adapter as all plugs in cabin are uk. Just take 1 adapter and plug your board into that.

We were on a previous world sector and lots of Australians on board who were great fun and enjoyed time with us brits. A lot didn't know about the jacket needed for formal and tried to get in main dining room and were turned away. Lots went to buffet all cruise but if you have a dark jacket and trousers and a tie I would take it as shame to miss out on captains party. If you are just using buffet you will need to wear trousers in evening anyway as they don't allow shorts in the evening as again some people were spoken to in buffet in evening if they had shorts on. Shorts ok in daytime.

Another tip is they have free laundrette on board but you will need soap and dryer softener sheets if you use at home. There is a shop on board for stuff but bit more expensive.

Hi,does that mean I wouldnt be allowed in with my grey lounge suit and tie which I always wear on Princess formal nights.I have got a black tie but not a black suit.Also my OH has a black dress but with gold sparkly bits,is that acceptable,cheers,Brian.

Yes, any jacket and trousers will be ok, also ties do not have to be black.

Hi Brian, your OH will be fine in black and gold. I usually wear a jumpsuit on black and white night. The trouser part is black and the bodice is black and gold. I have never felt out of place. There are always lots of other colours anyway. It does not have to be strictly adhered to. The thing to remember is to enjoy yourselves and stop worrying.

For men it says dark suit only for formal night so depends on shade of grey. Charcoal grey which is nearly black should be ok, but mid or light grey wouldn't be ok.

Oh dear,I have a mid grey suit.Im not going to buy a tux for my one and only P and O cruise.Will I be bounced out the dining room or not,based on all your observations,cheers,Brian.

Oh dear,I have a mid grey suit.Im not going to buy a tux for my one and only P and O cruise.Will I be bounced out the dining room or not,based on all your observations,cheers,Brian.

You may not know that P&O tend to be quite formal with 95% of men wearing a DJ the rest will wear dark suits and a small minority no jacket.

If you are fine with that then there is no problem you will not be turned away. The ones without a jacket will be turned away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't bother taking a suit in that case and eat in the buffet. You will not be alone as many do the same. You can still use the nightclubs and theatre as well as some places to drink without a tux on formal nights. Also bear in mind that the number of formal nights is a maximum of 4 on a 14 day cruise so it's not the end of the World if you don't take a tux.