Noisy Neighbours (on Ventura)

Mark@cfcmail.co.uk

This isn't our first cruise, but we have never encountered this before.

What do people do about noisy neighbours?

The ship is full and our neighbours (who I think have 3 young children) seem incapable of talking to each other. I can hear the "adults" shouting/talking loudly at each other now, the kids scream at each other, they slam the doors, generally bang around, and it sounds like they have a 3 year old girl with the lungs of an Olympic athlete!

We are not old curmudgeons, or inexperienced cruisers, but it's only day two and we are both shattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a similar issue on a previous cruise after several attempts with reception we had no joy, so I recorded the noise from the next cabin and went to reception and played the recording and refused to leave until we got moved.

Eventually we moved and got some rest and enjoyed the cruise.

Also don't forget to put in writing to customer service after your cruise, we got a small obc for our next cruise.

We had very noisy American neighbours once who used to shout and sing down the corridor very late every night. They never got up before 1pm - poor cabin steward was always waiting. You could hear their arguments from 5 cabins away. One night the girl screamed 'Man overboard' but they were just messing around. I called reception as they also left broken glass in the corridors.

As the noise continued every night, I put a polite note in their door saying that children were trying to sleep but the girl then came back every night shouting that she wanted to know who had left the note under their door.

I kept quiet after that and put ear plugs in!

I am mortified re these posts. I really would not be happy to have someone ruin my well deserved holiday and would expect the cruise line / Capt to act. We use our holidays to 'de stress' not 'get stressed' ! It is bad enough to put up with this on land but at sea the Captain has the authority to clamp down more or say "Goodbye" if he / she so wished.

No one should be able to spoil your holiday in this way because they have no manners or behave like yobs.

Really not impressed that things have not been taken seriously here. :confused:

Ear plugs -- not a chance - would kick up a major fuss

:eek:

Is it me?

Edited by Presto2

:eek:

Is it me?

No! I wouldn't be able to tolerate it for more than a couple of nights,,I'd bang on the wall and shout shut up please! Sometimes people just don't realise how noisy they are being and need a short sharp shock. I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Sound insulation between cabins is generally poor - and from corridors even worse - and it never ceases to amaze (and irritate) me that people think it's acceptable to walk along corridors late at night having full volume conversations, laughing and joking, waking countless people up with a start as they pass by their cabins. Some folk are sadly so self centred they don't even think about others and that some people may be on holiday to have a rest and not all of us are late night revellers. The same can be said of parents who allow their kids to run along corridors, which sounds like someone hammering on your door when you are asleep. And don't get me started on people who insists on slamming cabin doors late at night!

We are always acutely aware of neighbours, don't talk loudly, keep the tv volume reasonable, don't slam doors, don't have full volume conversations in walkways etc and always insisted the same of our children when they were young. But, sadly, many people don't give a passing thought to any of these things.

Sound insulation between cabins is generally poor - and from corridors even worse - and it never ceases to amaze (and irritate) me that people think it's acceptable to walk along corridors late at night having full volume conversations, laughing and joking, waking countless people up with a start as they pass by their cabins. Some folk are sadly so self centred they don't even think about others and that some people may be on holiday to have a rest and not all of us are late night revellers. The same can be said of parents who allow their kids to run along corridors, which sounds like someone hammering on your door when you are asleep. And don't get me started on people who insists on slamming cabin doors late at night!

We are always acutely aware of neighbours, don't talk loudly, keep the tv volume reasonable, don't slam doors, don't have full volume conversations in walkways etc and always insisted the same of our children when they were young. But, sadly, many people don't give a passing thought to any of these things.

I absolutely agree.

Luckily, the only real problem I have had on about 20 cruises was on the very first when people in the cabin across the corridor from us persisted in standing outside their (and so, our) door late at night having full-volume chats with their friends. After a few nights I got out of bed and tackled them, to be told "we've paid for this cruise" - to which my reply was "so have I but I don't go round keeping everybody else awake". They were more quiet after that. Now, though, I try to book cabins that don't have a facing cabin anywhere near.

If I had the problems of the OP, I'd be complaining at Reception for as long as it took to get some result (and keeping a record to complain when I got back if it wasn't resolved satisfactorily).

Recently had this where you could hear our neighbours having a Skype, don't they understand they don't need to shout!

Don't get me started on balcony smokers, they are the most inconsiderate of all in my opinion!

Don't get me started on balcony smokers, they are the most inconsiderate of all in my opinion!

Smoking on balconies is not allowed. On our last two Ventura cruises on D Deck, where the balconies are open from above, we had cigarette ends (first time) and a match (second time) throw down - not while we were on the balcony. We complained and the staff took it very seriously - no doubt because of the fire hazard.

The Ventura is a family ship, you have to expect and tolerate some noise from children. There are adult only ship for those not wishing to share their holiday with children.

I think the OP is as concerned abut the noise created by the adults shouting at each other and if they were quieter the children would follow their lead. It's fine for children to have fun but in my experience that doesn't mean noise 24 / 7. It is also important that children learn respect for other people

The Ventura is a family ship, you have to expect and tolerate some noise from children. There are adult only ship for those not wishing to share their holiday with children.

Some noise, yes. But what the OP experienced was excessive and unnecessary and he never said that he didn't want to see or hear children. Adult only ships are not always an option for everyone and the very elderly passenger profile isn't to everyone's taste. Personally I have no problem at all with well behaved children. It's lovely to see them enjoying themselves and dressed up in the evenings. I do, however, have a problem with poor parents and would have felt exactly the same had I experienced those issues.

The Ventura is a ship on which many - probably the vast majority - of passengers do not want to be disturbed by the noise made by children and parents must respect this and expect to take steps to minimise disturbance.

Some noise, yes. But what the OP experienced was excessive and unnecessary and he never said that he didn't want to see or hear children. Adult only ships are not always an option for everyone and the very elderly passenger profileisn't to everyone's taste. Personally I have no problem at all with well behaved children. It's lovely to see them enjoying themselves and dressed up in the evenings. I do, however, have a problem with poor parents and would have felt exactly the same had I experienced those issues.

....er excuse me....I am a cruiser on adult only ships and I am neither elderly ...nor VERY elderly! :D

....er excuse me....I am a cruiser on adult only ships and I am neither elderly ...nor VERY elderly! :D

Apologies if any offence was caused! I'm not saying that every single passenger is very elderly, but i believe it is a fact that the AVERAGE age profile of adult only ships is significantly older than on family friendly ships. You don't have to look very hard on these forums to find comments that support that fact. To be absolutely clear, although I am not retired, I would far rather cruise with a ship of mostly retired folk than younger revellers or children, but we did a ships tour of Arcadia and didn't like her and although we love Oriana and have cruised on her twice before she became adult only (including our first ever cruise in 1996), we now need an accessible cabin and Oriana doesn't have any with balconies.

To further support my contentious comment, a lady I work with and her husband (in their 50's) who both love cruising and P&O, did a cruise on Arcadia and hated it as they felt that they were about 30 years younger than the vast majority of cruisers and said it felt like a floating care home! I stress that this aspect wouldn't bother me one jot, but that was their honest assessment. Please don't shoot the messenger :D

Edited by Selbourne

As I originally said, I'm not some old curmudgeon, I expect children to make some noise, and if it was the odd joyfull scream or the occasional slammed door that would be fine; however, they were shouting, banging loudly, slamming doors and screaming until 00:58 last night, the first child woke up at 06:58 this morning and the doors (they have two rooms opposite each other) have been slammed 6 times in the last five minutes (make that 7).

I have tried on two occasions banging on the wall (with no effect), but my wife does not like confrontation, however I will be slipping a note under the door, and I will be going to reception this morning, because we have now had five nights of interrupted sleep and I have been as patient and as non confrontational as I can be.

If reception (door slammed again, children shouting at each other) does nothing, I will have to move up the chain (door slammed again) of command.

I often find twitter a good method of complaining as well.

There has been some really good advice on here, for which I thank you all.

P.s they are currently running, shouting and arguing between the two rooms.

Hard evidence is always very useful, of course. I always keep a record of what happened when and if possible take a recording on my camcorder (or a smart phone would probably do). It's the noise inside the cabin that's relevant so the recording only needs to be done there. Then I use the evidence when complaining, or if necessary when back home.

I haven't needed to use this technique to deal with noise from neighbours, but I have for loose fittings, etc and once got a very good discount on a future river cruise after I provided the evidence of a problem to the company (Viking) when I returned home.

As I originally said, I'm not some old curmudgeon, I expect children to make some noise, and if it was the odd joyfull scream or the occasional slammed door that would be fine; however, they were shouting, banging loudly, slamming doors and screaming until 00:58 last night, the first child woke up at 06:58 this morning and the doors (they have two rooms opposite each other) have been slammed 6 times in the last five minutes (make that 7).

I have tried on two occasions banging on the wall (with no effect), but my wife does not like confrontation, however I will be slipping a note under the door, and I will be going to reception this morning, because we have now had five nights of interrupted sleep and I have been as patient and as non confrontational as I can be.

If reception (door slammed again, children shouting at each other) does nothing, I will have to move up the chain (door slammed again) of command.

I often find twitter a good method of complaining as well.

There has been some really good advice on here, for which I thank you all.

P.s they are currently running, shouting and arguing between the two rooms.

This sounds my absolute nightmare! Good luck, I hope they quieten down soon or you somehow get moved.

On the points others have raised I have cruised on Oriana, Ventura and Azura, am in my early 50's and have enjoyed them all. I certainly wouldn't expect that level of noise, children or otherwise. Hardly knew there were children on my Azura and Ventura cruises.

This sounds my absolute nightmare! Good luck, I hope they quieten down soon or you somehow get moved.

On the points others have raised I have cruised on Oriana, Ventura and Azura, am in my early 50's and have enjoyed them all. I certainly wouldn't expect that level of noise, children or otherwise. Hardly knew there were children on my Azura and Ventura cruises.

We always sail in the school holidays and have never had an issue with noise -to be honest the children have been a credit to their parents and it has been a pleasure to sail with them.