Moscow day trip? Advice, please!

EllieR

Hello!

Here's the question, and it's posed to mainly to those of you who have visited Moscow: do you think a one-day excursion to Moscow is worth $760?

I will be visiting St. Petersburg for a second time, a Saturday and Sunday this May. Last time, I did a tour that did all the main stops (SPB's deluxe tour, if that helps), so I'm looking for something different.

My ship is offering a one-day excursion to Moscow. Stops include the Kremlin, Cathedral Square, Armory, and some free time in Red Square. I would love to do this tour, especially considering I don't know when/if I'll get another opportunity to see Moscow.

Here's the catch: other than the really long day, it will be roughly $760 CAD. :eek:

I looked into other tour companies, but they only offer it as part of a three-day shore excursion or as a private tour (and it would cost more for me than the ship would).

The price is very discouraging, and there are other things I can do in St. Petersburg that interest me, but I would hate to miss this opportunity. For those of you who have been, what would you advise?

Thanks in advance,

Ellie.

I haven't been yet, but I can tell you that I chose our August cruise specifically because it allows us to do a day in Moscow. I have always wanted to see Red Square & St Basil's Cathedral. My law partner has been, and he said it was just a WOW moment - like it really is the amazing to look at. I say, if you will never get back, it's worth it!

I was in Moscow for 3 days/nights many years ago. Seeing Red Square and St. Basil's Cathedral was cool, but Moscow can't compare to St. Petersburg, which I visited last year. There is SO much more to see and do in St. Petersburg.

If it were me, even if I had already been to St. Petersburg, I would choose to see it again for a day rather than take a long and very costly excursion to Moscow.

My daughter lives in Moscow, so I am a bit biased but i have loved my visits there and think it's doable to get a flavor of the city in one day. If you have been to SPB and may not come back to Russia, I would do it. If you were to come back and enter Moscow (or Russia) on your own - without cruise or tour, the Visa & invitation letter will cost you like $400. It is a distance from SPB but if you have always wanted to see it, I would go for it.

Hello!

Here's the question, and it's posed to mainly to those of you who have visited Moscow: do you think a one-day excursion to Moscow is worth $760?

I will be visiting St. Petersburg for a second time, a Saturday and Sunday this May. Last time, I did a tour that did all the main stops (SPB's deluxe tour, if that helps), so I'm looking for something different.

My ship is offering a one-day excursion to Moscow. Stops include the Kremlin, Cathedral Square, Armory, and some free time in Red Square. I would love to do this tour, especially considering I don't know when/if I'll get another opportunity to see Moscow.

Here's the catch: other than the really long day, it will be roughly $760 CAD. :eek:

I looked into other tour companies, but they only offer it as part of a three-day shore excursion or as a private tour (and it would cost more for me than the ship would).

The price is very discouraging, and there are other things I can do in St. Petersburg that interest me, but I would hate to miss this opportunity. For those of you who have been, what would you advise?

Thanks in advance,

Ellie.

There is enough to see in St. Petersburg to keep you busy for more than a month. I keep returning (having spent well over 2 months during previous visits) and always find awesome new areas to explore.

I have visited Moscow several times (but never from a cruise) and greatly enjoyed myself each time. Moscow is obviously on your bucket list & you have already visited St. Petersburg on a previous trip, touring the "must see" sights offered on most cruise excursions (I would not recommend visiting Moscow in your limited port time had you not previously visited St. Petersburg). So with that in mind, regardless of the price or length of touring day, if the choice were mine, I would "go for it". Moscow is very interesting (although, IMHO, not nearly as lovely as St. Petersburg) and the Kremlin is the highlight of any trip to Moscow. If you decide on Moscow, do try to visit inside St. Basil's Cathedral (most tours only show you the exterior which, I feel, is a shame). The Armoury is absolutely spectacular (among tons of amazing items, it is also home to the largest collection of imperial Faberge eggs - you could spend a few days in there - I did:)). Also, don't know if this is offered on your tour, but the Diamond Fund (crown jewels) was an absolute "must see" for me.

Also, check-out some of the subway stations - they are even more elaborate than those in St. Petersburg.

I have been to both cities several times and I think it would be worth it to go to Moscow even at that high price. You'll see the highlights and when you have your free time in Red Square, you can go into St. Basil's as the previous poster suggested. Much more exciting than just spending another day in St. Petersburg, lovely though it is.

And when you visit Red Square do go see Lennin's tomb, bizarre and such a glimpse into that culture!

Yes, Lenin's Mausoleum, although quite unusual, is definitely worth a visit. It takes just a few minutes to view the tomb (Lenin's body has been chemically preserved and no photos are allowed - there are guards in each corner). Also worth a look is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Red Square, Kremlin Wall, in the Alexander Garden - changing of the guard occurs every hour).

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lenins-mausoleum

At the opposite end of Red Square (northeast corner) is Kazan Cathedral - it is also pretty cool. It has a long and fascinating history - the original church was demolished during the Stalin era but the church was rebuilt & the one you see today was completely restored in 1993. The Kazan Virgin icon located inside is a copy - the original is in Moscow's Yelokhovo Cathedral.

Gum Department Store (also located on Red Square) is also worth a look.

I have been to both cities several times and I think it would be worth it to go to Moscow even at that high price. You'll see the highlights and when you have your free time in Red Square, you can go into St. Basil's as the previous poster suggested. Much more exciting than just spending another day in St. Petersburg, lovely though it is.

Appreciate this discussion/debate, but agree with the above post. Below are some of my notes and pictures from visiting Moscow.

MOSCOW??: YES, the high-speed train connection does make a big difference for your logistics. I'll offer the various pro/con factors for your consideration on the question of doing Moscow . . . or not. My wife thought it was lots of money, but she viewed it as very much worth it after completing the trip as a "once in a lifetime" experience. If you have good private tours in St. Petersburg, you can see most of the great and excellent stuff there in just two days.

CON FACTORS: It's a long day! Leave the ship early (greeted by a small welcoming band dockside); get back to the St. Petersburg late. Moscow is a super large city of over ten million people. There has been huge growth in the suburbs of this city during the past decades or so. Traffic and time from the airport to the main downtown takes about an hour, but the train takes your directly into the heart of this large city. Since we had to drive in from the airport, we had a good feel as we traveled into town through the coach windows about the “new Moscow” with its suburban growth, commerce, advertising, capitalism, big box stores, etc.

PRO FACTORS: Moscow has its unique history, sights and sites, from Ivan the Terrible up through Lenin, Stalin and the new Russian leaders of today. After a long ride in from the airport on the outer edge of this large metro areas of 17.3 million (with 10.5 million in the city), we stopped at a new hotel for coffee/tea/break. Then, we rode the Moscow subway and saw a couple of their very unique and artistic stations. Stalin at the time called these stations “People’s Palaces”. This Moscow Metro was first opened in 1935 and now has 182 stations, 12 different lines,187 miles of routes and carries seven million passengers each weekday. It’s the world second busiest subway system. This subway ride offered a good sampling of real life for people who live and work in Moscow. We then saw more key places enroute, including the home of the Bolshoi Ballet, KGB Headquarters, various Stalin-era buildings, etc. Then we went to the Kremlin with its 19 historic towers. WOW, we were really there!

Inside the Kremlin are three key “super stars”. First, was the State Armoury with its spectacular Faberge Eggs, plus so many carriages, crowns, gowns, jewels, etc. Second are the various historic Cathedrals within the Kremlin Walls, plus the Tower Bells, Icon art, etc. This includes the Cathedral of the Annunciation built in the 1480’s and having such spectacular wall murals and icons. Third, was the Great Kremlin Palace with its spectacular reception halls, inlaid wood floors, gold and more gold, fancy ceilings, etc. The Czars were crowned here, plus the current heads of the Russian government, etc. The size and scale of these areas are hard to describe in words, let alone reflect and capture the history that has happened in some of these rooms dating back to the late 1400’s. We have seen lots of great palaces all over Europe, but this is something above and beyond for the eyes, heart and brain.

Then, we saw more building inside the walls of the Kremlin. We went outside of the Kremlin Walls and walked next door to adjoining Red Square, seeing St. Basil’s and the re-done Gum Department Store. Red Square is so historic, especially having grown up seeing the military May Day parades there, visuals of Lenin’s Tomb, etc. Have the words “spectacular” and historic been used too much? Maybe, but it fits for many of these unique places. St. Basil’s was built 1555–1561 on the order of Ivan IV (the Terrible). It was the tallest building in Moscow until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower (266 feet tall) in 1600 inside the Kremlin Walls. To be able to “CONTRAST” and compare Moscow and St. Petersburg during these three short days adds to the benefits of seeing both of these great Russian capital cities. Each is a very different and special city.

We finished with dinner in the Central Writers’ Club, a one hundred years old mansion made into a restaurant with crystal chandeliers, rich wood panelling, fireplaces, and antique balustrades.

Is one day in Moscow too short and limited? YES! You can, however, do and see lots in only that one short day. How often do you get to Russia? The Cold War might not exactly come back in full force, but there are going to be increasing and revisited tensions in future years involving Russia and getting access there. The key cruise lines have done this tour many times and have its details down well and timing perfected. Let us know any questions, thoughts or reactions.

Below are a few of my visuals for what is to see and do in Moscow. Hope that I am not giving you information over-load. Much depends on your personal interests for history, architecture, culture, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,205 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is one of the Kremlin Wall Towers in Moscow. It is a defensive wall that surrounds the Kremlin with its recognizable notches and the famed Kremlin towers. The original walls were likely a simple wooden fence with guard towers built in 1156. Between 1485 and 1495 a brigade of Italian architects designed a new defense perimeter. With an outer perimeter of over 7300 feet, the Kremlin appears as a loose triangle. Twenty towers survived to highlight the walls. Built at a different time, the oldest one dates to 1485 while the newest one was built in 1680. Three of the towers, located in the corners, have circular designs.:

1A-Moscow-KremlWallTower.jpg

Walking on the famed Red Square of Moscow can be thrilling!! This square separates the Kremlin, as the former royal citadel and the current official residence for Russia's President, from a historic merchant quarter. Red Square is often considered the central square of Moscow and all of Russia, because Moscow's major streets originate from here. The name Red Square comes neither from the color of the bricks nor from the link between the color red and communism. The name came about because of a Russian word that can mean either "red" or "beautiful". This word, per Wikipedia, has the meaning "beautiful", was originally applied to Saint Basil's Cathedral. Then, later, the meaning was transferred to the nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current name in the 17th century. Red Square was the leading stage and trade center for Moscow. Ivan the Great decreed that trade should only be conducted from person to person, but later these rules were relaxed and permanent market buildings began appearing on the square. After a fire in 1547, Ivan the Terrible reorganized the lines of wooden shops on the Eastern side into market lines and part of that transitioned into what is now GUM department store that adjoins this famed square.:

1A-Moscow-RedSq.jpg

This is the interior for Moscow's most historic church, Assumption Cathedral or the Cathedral of the Dormition, inside the Kremlin walls. It is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. The church stands on Cathedral Square and was built in 1475–1479 by the Italian architect Aristotele Fioravanti. It was erected on the spot of an older 14th century cathedral of the same name:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchInterior.jpg

Here is a small sampling of the Kremlin Royal Treasures of the Czars: Eggs & Jewels inside the famed State Armoury in Moscow. One of the oldest museums in Moscow, it was established in 1808 and located within the Kremlin Walls. It originated as the royal arsenal in 1508 during when it was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and various household articles of the Tsars. There are ten Fabergé eggs in the Armoury collection (all Imperial eggs). This is the most Imperial eggs, and the second-most overall Fabergé eggs, owned by a single owner. The Trans-Siberian Railway Egg is a jeweled Easter egg made under the supervision of the Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé in 1900 for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. It was presented by Nicolas II as an Easter gift to his wife. The exterior of the 1900 Trans-Siberian Railway egg is made of onyx, silver, gold, and quartz, and is decorated with colored vitreous enamel. The lid of the egg is hinged, has an overlay of green enamel, and is decorated with inlaid leaves of acanthus. On top of the lid is a golden three-headed eagle in gold with the Imperial Crown. The interior is lined with velvet. A route map of the Trans-Siberian Railway is engraved in silver across the face, with major stations marked by a precious stone, forming a belt around the egg. The egg is supported by three griffins made of gold-plated silver on a stepped triangular base of white onyx.:

1A-Moscow-KremJewels-Eggs.jpg

The Russian subways are called the “People’s Palaces” with their marble coverings and unique designs for each of the different and many stations. This visual is from Moscow, but you can see similar stations in St. Petersburg. Very interesting!! The Moscow Metro was opened in 1935 with one line and 13 stations. It was the first underground rail system in the Soviet Union. As of 2016, the Moscow Metro excluding the Moscow Central Circle, has 203 stations and its route length is 210+ miles. This makes it the fifth longest in the world. The system is mostly underground, with the deepest section being 276 feet deep at the Park Pobedy station.:

MoscowSubway2PeopleLargeSculpture.jpg

Here is the somewhat more modern Lenin Tomb that sits directly on Red Square. This mausoleum serves as the final resting place of Vladimir Lenin. His preserved body has been on public display there since shortly after his death in 1924. This granite structure incorporates some elements from ancient mausoleums.:

LeninTomb.jpg

Just a note - you said your trip was on a weekend, but for others considering this note that many cruises that are in St Petersburg for 3 days (which allows you to go to Moscow on the middle day) have the middle day on Thursday and the Kremlin is closed on Thursdays. It's one of the main attractions so good to know.

Never too much information from you Terry - I could look at your pictures and commentary over and over again!

Appreciate this added info and the very kind comments from crimlaw@ecentral.com. Glad your tastes and standards are so high and classy!!

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section yesterday, they have this overall headline: "ten hottest travel spots for 2017 " with this highlight subhead: "Soak up Russia’s rich history".

Here are some of the highlights cited: "In 2017, Russia will mark 100 years since the Bolshevik Revolution, which overthrew the Tsars and ushered in a new world order. Unrest began in March 1917 in St Petersburg, and Moscow was reinstated as the capital city just a year later. Take in both cities to compare imperial opulence and canals of the former, with the stark Soviet buildings and the preserved leader of the latter. When to go: June and July see long days of warm, sunny weather and plenty of cultural events. August is warm, but slightly quieter."

Here some of my additional pictures from Moscow. Yes, we loved comparing and contrasting these two mega-stars!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4097066/From-Patagonia-Persia-ten-hottest-travel-spots-2017-revealed.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

Kazan Cathedral sits on the northeast corner of Red Square in Moscow. The current building is a reconstruction of the original church which was destroyed at the direction of Joseph Stalin in 1936. The original church was erected as a shrine in the early 1630s to mark the city's liberation from the Polish aggressors. After the Soviet Union’s fall, this was the first church to be completely rebuilt. The cathedral's restoration (1990–1993) was based on the detailed measurements and photographs of the original church:

KazanCathedral.jpg

Double-Eagle on Top of Kremlin State Palace built in 1961 for Communist Party congresses in Moscow.:

1A-Moscow-DoubleEagle.jpg

Inside the Kremlin’s State Armoury, here are more treasures from the historic period of the Czars:

ArmouryB.jpg

The famed KGB (Secret Police) Headquarters in Moscow where many entered and did not exit (alive) during the 1950’s and 1960’s:

1A-Moscow-KGBHdqBldg.jpg

Young Military Officers on the streets of Moscow with Soviet "High Hat".:

1A-Moscow-MilitOfficers.jpg

One of the 1930’s style building built by Stalin in Moscow:

1A-Moscow-30sSovietTower.jpg

Thank you all so much for your advice! I booked the excursion to Moscow this morning. :)

Question for Terry: I am impressed with all you were able to see in Moscow, but am unclear over how much time you spent there. You mentioned a three-day excursion - was all of this from three days in Moscow, or was this the middle day of a three day package?

Thanks again,

Ellie.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I booked the excursion to Moscow this morning. :) Question for Terry: I am impressed with all you were able to see in Moscow, but am unclear over how much time you spent there. You mentioned a three-day excursion - was all of this from three days in Moscow, or was this the middle day of a three day package? Thanks again, Ellie.

Appreciate this excellent follow-up question from EllieR. We only had the one day in Moscow!! Did we do and see lots? YES!! Part of it is good organizational skills by the most of the tour organizers who do this excursion. Partly it is the greatness of Moscow with so many great options that are reasonably close together in the main part of their city. As noted, it was a long day in doing Moscow, but we got a great "ENERGY" is being able to experience so much greatness, unique history and amazing sights, etc.

Another important "secret" was having a very good tour firm in St. Petersburg and having planned our time in that historic city in order to be able to maximize the efficiency for this port where our ship was docked.

Added questions and sharing? Good luck with your "adventures" in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Another important "secret" was having a very good tour firm in St. Petersburg and having planned our time in that historic city in order to be able to maximize the efficiency for this port where our ship was docked.

TLCOhio, will you share your "secret" company with me? We will be on the Serenade of the Seas in July of 2017 and will be in St. Petersburg three days. Our problem is the boat docs at 7am on Wednesday and leaves at 6pm on Friday so I need a tour group that can get me to Moscow on Wednesday because I really want to experience inside of the Kremlin not just the walls.

Thank you in advance and forgive me if something is posted weird I am new to cruise critic.

Pwizzy - That is the reason I booked the Oceania cruise because I don't think you ca get there on Wednesday after docking at 7am. At least you can't take the train because it leaves before you can get to it. Possibly you can find a company that can take you on a flight to Moscow? And maybe return by train? The advantage of the train is it gets you right into the city. I think Terry flew when he went if I remember right. I have booked with the same company he used and we are on the train, but maybe a flight is a possibility. It is Anastasia tours, and Katherine there has been lovely to work with via email.

It is Anastasia tours, and Katherine there has been lovely to work with via email.

dogs4fun: Hope you will come back and post after your cruise - we would love to hear your impression(s) of Moscow.

Appreciate these various follow-ups and agree strongly with dogs4fun that folks need to do a post-trip posting here as to their impressions and experiences from doing the Moscow day-trip.

On e-mailing with the potential Russian tour guides' date=' that is very, very important to learn more and make things "FIT" your personal needs and interests. Ask them key questions and learn more. There are so many good options in going there, that you need to research and carefully make the best, smart choices. AND, get your trip flow and "logistics" in a good and efficient manner. All of my e-mails with Anastasia, back-and-forth, were vital to making our trip work so well. Doing Russian is much more than a typical Caribbean island where there is just an old fort, a beach and tee-shirt shops. You need to carefully consider your priorities and trip flow/order, etc

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,431 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 month later...
Hello!

Thanks in advance,

Ellie.

Hi Ellie

We too are arriving in May, Saturday and Sunday, we might be on the same cruise - Koningsdam departing Amsterdam 21st May.

We would dearly like to do the Moscow day trip and we have investigated this.

Our ship price is $599USD each for the day by train both ways.

Guide Guru would be our preferred choice for Moscow. It has a sliding scale of prices and we are hopeful that there will be at least six persons plus on this tour which for us would be affordable. They fly to Moscow and train it back. We are looking at their two day package - Moscow / St Petersburg which ranges from $640usd (6 persons) down to $573 (16 persons)

The one day St Petersburg /Moscow ranges from $490usd 6 persons to $420usd (16 persons).

Hope this might help your with your decision making. Guess if it is something you want to do and won't be back this way again, do it.

Jayne

EllieR: Here's the question' date=' and it's posed to mainly to those of you who have visited Moscow: do you think a one-day excursion to Moscow is [b']worth $760?[/b]

Glad that folks continue to be researching and planning their options for Moscow, enjoying St. Petersburg, etc. Lots of great options in these areas. Don't be shy with asking any more questions. Happy to share more!!

As to whether it is "worth $760", that is a highly personal decision based on your finances, travel priorities, etc. Doing this Moscow one-day trip is not cheap, but we were very, very glad that we did this excursion. For our interests, it was "amazing" and a never-to-forget experience. You summarized well as to the key question as to how often does one get to Russia? Or, to be able to sample/contrast both of these historic capital of this unique, large and important country.

Below are a few more of my "eye-candy" samples from Moscow. Keep up the great questions and comments.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,902 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

St. Basil's sits on Red Square and dates back to its 1555-61 construction on the orders of Ivan the Terrible (Ivan IV). It commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan and marks the geometric center of the city. This location has been the hub of its growth for Moscow since the 14th century. It was the tallest building in Moscow until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600. This church was nearly destroyed in the 1930’s when Stalin was in control.:

1A-Moscow-St.jpg

The domes of the historic church inside the walls of the Kremlin:

1A-Moscow-KremChurDomes.jpg

Inside the newly, more westernized GUM Department Store:

1A-Moscow-GumDeptSt.jpg

World’s largest cannon sits inside of the Kremlin walls:

1A-Moscow-LargeCannon.jpg

Here is another view of the subways in Moscow. It is easy to see whey they were called the “People’s Palaces” with their marble coverings and unique designs for each of the different and many stations.:

MoscowSubway2PeopleLargeSculpture.jpg

These are the series of smaller domes on the top of the Church of the Deposition of the Robe in the Kremlin Cathedral Square area.:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchTowers.jpg

Hello, Poodiepurple! Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, we will not be on the same cruise. I will be sailing in on the Regal Princess, first weekend in May.

The trip I booked was through the ship. It is priced $580 USD (the $760 Terry quoted from me above is the excursion in CAD).

Anyone interested in Moscow day 1 and St Petersburg day 2? Guide Guru has two day tours. The prices are on a sliding scale. We are holding places on this tour, and waiting to see if another 4 people at least will do the tour prior to committing. The cost is around $600usd for the two days - expensive I know but we really want to see and experience a taste of Moscow. Fly to Moscow and train it back. The max people for the St Petersburg tour is eight. Guide-Guru Tours have glowing reports on Trip Advisor. Check them out if you are interested. We would dearly like to do this tour but with only two of us the cost is way too much for us.

• 3 months later...

Well, we came and went. I'm sorry to say, I felt a little underwhelmed. My expectations might have been too high and I think the timing was bad (I wasn`t aware that the Saturday we were there was two days before Russia`s V-Day celebrations).

First of all, we were unable to go to the Red Square. When I signed up for the trip, I was advised that the area could be closed at any time without notice, so I knew the risk was there. That ended up occurring the day we were there (because of the V-Day celebrations). We then went inside a church in the Kremlin and into the Armoury. The church has nothing on those we saw in Saint Petersburg. As for the Armoury, if you've been to armouries or other royal collections in Copenhagen, Stockholm, or elsewhere, then a lot of what you'll see in Moscow will look similar. We also ended up being rushed through a bit, being shuffled to every third or fourth exhibit, battling through other tour groups to get to some of the nicer items.

This is not to say that I regret going. If I hadn't gone, I would've been wondering 'what if'. However, I certainly don`t feel a need to go back, and I would advise others considering this trip to look into whether any major holidays or celebrations are scheduled to take place around that time, as that will affect the number of people around and what you will be able to see.