Time Change

Ubarrow

The last time we did an EB T/A the daily hour was lost at night. It meant an hour less sleep but didn't effect the daily programme. Now the hour is lost at noon, which instantly becomes 1pm. As late breakfast people we found that our normally preferred early dining was just too close to the end of breakfast! With just 7 hours between 10am and 6 pm it's difficult to cram in a lunch and afternoon tea!

In future, we'll opt for late dining EB and early dining WB.

It's been like that for a number of years now but agree that it does call for an adjustment or two to your previous routine. For me the advantage is that without losing an hour overnight l can finish my evening late at G32 and get to doors opening for breakfast at 8am. Somehow l still feel short changed when it suddenly becomes 1pm though.

M-AR

Either which way it cannot be avoided if the ship is to adjust to UK time. Time change on my first TA was overnight, plus another hour when we sailed from Southampton to Cherbourg. I didn't know what time zone my body was in. While the Noon change does make the afternoon appear very short I much prefer it to the overnight change. At least both crew and passengers get their sleep.

There have been variations - perhaps experimental - over the years. On one eastbound crossing in the late 1980s the first hour was lost before the QE2 left the dock. People who hadn't read the embarkation programme were late for dinner. Then it was a half hour advancement overnight for four of the five nights. As we approached Southampton mid-morning (the QE2 did not arrive at the uncivilised hour of 0630 in those days:)) the final adjustment of two hours was made.

We made an e/b crossing on the French Lines' France in 1973. The clocks were advanced by 15 minutes every six hours. This was gentle on the body but many people forgot to change their clocks from time to time.

I prefer the mid-day advancement of one hour on five days.

There have been variations - perhaps experimental - over the years. On one eastbound crossing in the late 1980s the first hour was lost before the QE2 left the dock. People who hadn't read the embarkation programme were late for dinner. Then it was a half hour advancement overnight for four of the five nights. As we approached Southampton mid-morning (the QE2 did not arrive at the uncivilised hour of 0630 in those days:)) the final adjustment of two hours was made.

We made an e/b crossing on the French Lines' France in 1973. The clocks were advanced by 15 minutes every six hours. This was gentle on the body but many people forgot to change their clocks from time to time.

I prefer the mid-day advancement of one hour on five days.

The 15 minutes at a time sounds very complicated, I can imagine people were late a lot of the time.