Ballroom and Latin Dancing on Board

CJG22

Hi

Newbie here.

Am seriously considering cruising and understand P&O have dance instructors on board who provide group lessons on certain days and also host evening dance music for folk to dance to. My husband and I can just about get round a dancefloor without causing too much chaos but wondered what people's experiences are as I think we might enjoy having a go occasionally? Are the teachers friendly, understanding of incompetence, fun, are the classes for serious dancers or beginners etc etc. Any advice gratefully received?

Thanks.

If it's Britannia you are considering then the dancing is great.

Teachers are friendly and classes are for beginners. You can have private lessons though.

The Crystal Room is an ideal location but you need good floor craft when its busy, particularly on "Strictly" themed cruises.

I have some dance experience, although it's more rock n roll/hip-hop/jazz, that type of thing.

I've taken part in lessons on Azura and Britannia and the teachers on both ships were great - patient, friendly, fun, etc. I would say they pitch the lessons towards beginners, which the majority of pax are. Maybe if it was clear they had a group of relatively experienced dancers they would adjust the content accordingly.

They usually demonstrate a move, then get the passengers to do it and go round helping and correcting the couples, then move on to the next part of the routine.

On Britannia DH decided to join me learning to waltz, he's not a natural dancer, but the teacher was full of patience and encouragement. Never done one of the evening sessions, but the teacher on Britannia was certainly encouraging everyone to come along, regardless of ability.

Thanks for your replies. I think it more likely we will be going on Azura rather than Britannia.

Unless things have changed since we were on Azura (2014), dancing is in the Atrium area rather a dedicated room as on Britannia. The area is comparatively small and of course you are on full view of everyone in the Atrium and on the balconies above. Still good teachers and good fun though.

• 4 weeks later...

the dance instructors are very good and aimed at beginners and the lessons are on sea days usually in the morning and again in the afternoon. Dancing is in the atrium and i would not worry about getting in the way experienced dancers should have the floor craft to get around.

just get up and have a go