Can you take food off the ship in Baltic ports?

81Dropbear

I have read conflicting things about whether you can put a couple of pastries and some fruit from the buffet in your bag for a quick snack on the run, particularly in the Baltic ports. Does anyone know either way?

It depends on what kind of food we are talking about and where the food was made. Different countries might also have different rules/laws.

However as a general rule of thumb, food produced within the European Union is allowed to be taken into any other EU-country since it otherwise

is considered a violation of the free movement law.

Meat, fish, eggs and etc is likely to be more restricted (if made/produced outside EU) then fruit and vegetable food.

Swedish rules for food made from animals (in Swedish):

http://www.jordbruksverket.se/amnesomraden/djur/resorochtransporter/djurprodukter/livsmedelochfoderinforselforpersonligtbruk.4.4bdd0ace12e454f491d80002541.html

I haven't found anything specific about fruit but I can't imagine that anyone will give you problems for bringing some fruit off the ship.

I have read conflicting things about whether you can put a couple of pastries and some fruit from the buffet in your bag for a quick snack on the run, particularly in the Baltic ports. Does anyone know either way?

I took snacks off in the Baltic ports - had them in my day pack. Nobody inquired what I had in my day pack as I disembarked in each port of call & there were no immigration checks except in St. Petersburg (and even they did not care what I had in my pack - just wanted to see my passport and visa).

Outside of Oceania has anyone ever been checked for food on disembarkation at a port? I wouldn't take an apple and toss the core in a rural area but the idea that a pastry from the ship will spread disease in Stockholm is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no personal experiences but from what I understand, the countries in Oceania are very very hard on bringing in not just food but also plants, seeds and even wood.

You are spot on. They are also worried about mosquitoes, potential carriers of malaria, dengue fever and Japanese encephalitis. On our trip to Australia, the interior of the plane was sprayed with insecticide before we boarded our flight to Sydney. Dogs are trained in the airport to smell out meat, plant material, fruit, bird eggs, live birds, reptiles, all sorts of things. Never been there on a cruise so don't know how the check system works in that situation.

There are dogs in the Australian ports disembarkation area to sniff down hand luggage. Especially for ships on World Cruises. Not in all ports but on a random basis. In Asia announcements are made. As you don't know where ships have sourced their products it can't be assumed they are all European origin. Properly packaged goods are fine but baked goods in bags should stay on the ship in all countries. Couldn't even take food off in Asia.