Shadow condition - should we cancel our trip?

Supertramp87

We are booked for the Shadow Nov. 3, 2017 cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.

But, we have now read the reviews by geoffieg, making several negative comments on the condition of the Shadow.

We also saw that the Shadow has been chartered by a Chinese company from Jan. to May 2017 thanks to duct tape's post.

Should we cancel and find something else due to the ship's condition?

Isn't this a question no one can answer for you? People can comment on the condition of Shadow but what you have said is that what you have read has alarmed you.

My advice is a philosphical one and that is always follow your instinct.

If this concerns you enough for you to consider cancelling and worries you then cancel. If you go ahead and take the cruise and it's condition annoys you, you will regret not cancelling. If you cancel it is difficult to see how you would come about regretting your decision. Your instinct knows more about you and what might upset you than other CC posters who do not know you at all and collectively have a range of conditions of Shadow that might or might not irritate them but might irritate you. Ten people telling you to take the cruise on this forum might not be a good basis on which you should make your own personal decision.

Good luck and do post what you decide.

Jeff

We were told the Shadow will - or is now - to undergo a dry dock update. Also, we were told the Chinese company is required to return the Shadow to Silversea in the same condition it was when they took it over. This means, the Shadow should be in pristine condition when it is returned to Silversea. We will be on the Shadow this summer and would have cancelled had we not been assured of it's condition.

We were told the Shadow will - or is now - to undergo a dry dock update. Also, we were told the Chinese company is required to return the Shadow to Silversea in the same condition it was when they took it over. This means, the Shadow should be in pristine condition when it is returned to Silversea. We will be on the Shadow this summer and would have cancelled had we not been assured of it's condition.

I think I am confused. I know Shadow is currently chartered by a Chinese company for a few months, but I thought this means the guests - not the operation of the ship.

Are you saying that this Chinese company is operating/manning the ship, including the bridge, engine room, hotel staff, etc? I find this hard to believe.

I think I am confused. I know Shadow is currently chartered by a Chinese company for a few months, but I thought this means the guests - not the operation of the ship.

Are you saying that this Chinese company is operating/manning the ship, including the bridge, engine room, hotel staff, etc? I find this hard to believe.

I'm curious too. I know the Shadow is unavailable until May 4, but I didn't know that Manfredi Lefebvre turned over crew responsibilities to the Chinese too.

I am not familiar with a "wet" charter - can you please explain. When we were on the Shadow last summer, the crew was under the impression they would have their regular length contracts.

I am not familiar with a "wet" charter - can you please explain. When we were on the Shadow last summer, the crew was under the impression they would have their regular length contracts.

It is a reasonable presumption that SS will not be allowing non-SS people crew the ship, but it likely some Chinese speaking serving staff may be added.

Dry charter would be no SS staff. Highly unlikely.

Jeff

I debarked SS today in Singapore. They are dry docking for two weeks, then cruising back to Hong Kong. Yes, a bit tired, but don't cancel. I'll post an extensive review on here shortly. Mostly small items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mwayman

Here is a new one. I heard from a frequent passenger that the line may be sold to the Chinese. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2024942

THURSDAY 19TH JANUARY 2017

Published on Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Silversea finds Chinese partner to promote its brand

Silversea Cruises has signed an exclusive partnership with Plateno Group in China.

The deal will see Plateno market and sell Silversea cruises in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Edited by Close Call