Norway Must-Dos

We are sailing Holland America's Zuiderdam in late June 2017. Our 12-Day Fjords and Highlands itinerary lists the following: Oslo Fjord (scenic cruising), Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, Flam, Sognefjord (scenic cruising) and Bergen. I feel we should make an effort to see a Viking Ship and a Stave Church. Of course, we also want to see the fjords. Which of the listed ports is the best place to see these sight? Is it worthwhile to take an additional boating excursion to see the fjords or will be get our fjords worth from the cruise ship? What additional Norway Must-Dos should we consider?

Edited by piratesofny

You will se the fjord from the ship - so no really need for additional boat trip. See my video from cruising Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord on our way to Flåm - For Flåm I can recommend the Flåm train - also video below.

[YOUTUBE]W4ADnHAWzYM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]yjnzGcyWPIk[/YOUTUBE]

Your cruising on the Zuiderdam will provide sufficient fjord sailing without the need for any water based excursions.

Make sure you are up early and ideally on deck with your camera for the sail into Flam. A must- do trip there is the Flam Railway. It will be much cheaper if you do that independently. You can now book tickets in advance with the Flam Railway. If you are a keen walker book the uphill trip and then walk back. Otherwise book the return trip on the same train -- there is nothing really to see or do at the top : there are magnificent views on the way there and back.

I suppose the Ship Museum at Oslo is your opportunity to see the Viking Ship although I think the open air Folk Museum reached by Ferry from the harbour close to where you berth would be my preferred attraction along with Vigulund Park in the City Centre.

Bergen would be a place to visit a visit a Stave Church ( at Fantoft) which is now easily reached by public transport. You will also within the day be able to take the Funicular up Mount Florence as well as the Bryggen area near the Fish Market.

Rather than a hop-on hop- off bus Kristiansund has a fleet of little hop - on and hop-off boats with a very cheap fare allowing you to explore various sights there.

Stavanger Old Town is worth a visit -- your ship may well be berthed alongside or you might need to walk around the harbour. An excursion to Pulpit Rock might be a possibility from here though I would not personally describe it as a must-do. You can do that by boat or as a hike.

Given that your days in Bergen and Oslo are likely to be taken up with sightseeing I would recommend Stavanger for shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Re:viking ships and stave churches...

In Oslo, the Viking Ship Museum houses the archaeological remains of three Viking burial ships, including the famous Gokstad ship. If Viking ships are a priority, this is probably your best opportunity.

Right next door is the Norwegian Folk Museum, which houses a collection of preserved/restored/reconstructed buildings from around the country. Among these is an iconic wooden stave church.

These two can easily be visited together in a typical port day. (If you dock at the primary cruise pier near city hall, you can get there via the tourist ferry to Bygdøy or the city bus #30, both of which depart from in front of the city hall.)

Depending on how long you're in port and how much energy you have, it may also be possible to visit one of the other museums nearby (the Fram would be my recommendation) or to head up to Vigelands Sculpture Park (Take the bus #30 from either museum back towards town and switch to the #20 at Olav Kyrres plass. The transit system is very easy to navigate).

Edited by kaisatsu

In Kristiansand, it is an easy (albeit uphill) walk from the port to the Odderoya, a former naval base now converted to a park and site of several old fortresses along with gunnery and other military armaments from former World War still in place. There are some fabulous vistas across the fjords from some of the mounts and, at least in late August, the trails are lined with blackberry and blueberries. We were glad we took water and food with us as this is an off-the-beaten-track area and although there are bathrooms, we didn't find anyplace selling food.

• 2 weeks later...
Depending on how long you're in port and how much energy you have, it may also be possible to visit one of the other museums nearby (the Fram would be my recommendation) or to head up to Vigelands Sculpture Park

There is so much to do in Oslo that we could almost spend two plus days sightseeing, but, alas, we will only be in port one day from 10am-6pm. If I had all the time in the world, I would like to go to the Viking Ship Museum, see the Stave Church at the Norwegian Folk Museum, check out Vigeland Park, see the Munch paintings at the National Gallery (Nasjonalgalleriet), visit the Nobel Peace Center, and go on a Nordic Food Walking Tour. We'll have to prioritize and see how much we can realistically get done!

• 4 weeks later...
You will se the fjord from the ship - so no really need for additional boat trip. See my video from cruising Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord on our way to Flåm - For Flåm I can recommend the Flåm train - also video below.

W4ADnHAWzYM

yjnzGcyWPIk

Great videos. What is the best side of the Flam train to sit on?