Med in April

hollyjane

Hi. We are thinking about booking a cruise in April to the Med. I was wondering if it was worth paying the extra for a balcony. This is not our main holiday but for a special birthday. We have a balcony booked in Sept. We were going to go for an inside cabin but normally like to sit out in the afternoon so not sure. I know nobody can predict the weather but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts if it would be warm enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks. :)

Edited by hollyjane
Mistake

We did a first half April cruise to the Med and opted for an obstructed view cabin on E deck of Ventura. We did not miss our usual balcony and although the weather was reasonably warm and pleasant enough for sightseeing, it cerainly was not sunbathing weather.

Hi. We are thinking about booking a cruise in April to the Med. I was wondering if it was worth paying the extra for a balcony. This is not our main holiday but for a special birthday. We have a balcony booked in Sept. We were going to go for an inside cabin but normally like to sit out in the afternoon so not sure. I know nobody can predict the weather but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts if it would be warm enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks. :)

We e done the Med from Southampton twice in late March/April. Of course till you reach Gibraltar/Lisbon the weather is cool but we've enjoyed very pleasant weather around the Med and Canaries. You cannot predict but that's our experience. If you enjoy sitting out on your balcony I reckon it would be pleasant enough for the majority of your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weve done the med second week in April and the weather was very mixed but we did enjoy the balcony. I like sitting out reading a book on a sea day. Last year we did the med mid May and the weather was awful! Absolutely horrendous rain in Cadiz. Again in September in the Canaries it wasn't brilliant. I don't think you can predict it. If you like a balcony Id go for it. Were risking it again this April mid month. Fingers crossed.

We did the med and Greek Islands last April 9th and although we had pretty dire weather across the BoB, once we actually got into the Med. the weather was absolutely brilliant and we were sat out every day.

Michele

I'm looking at this as well for this Easter. Although we've now notched up a fair few cruises we've not yet crossed the BoB on the water. We are not fans of sea days really so I'm wondering exactly how long after leaving Southampton it is before arriving at somewhere like Santander or la Coruna? My husband favours flying to Malaga and doing the Thomson cruise with 3 days on a beach afterwards but I'm thinking if I'm going to be sailing up and down the Atlantic coast I'd rather do it on a BIG ship like Azura! I've heard so many horror stories about the BoB it does make me think twice as my husband has been known to suffer very bad sea/ travel sickness.

I'm looking at this as well for this Easter. Although we've now notched up a fair few cruises we've not yet crossed the BoB on the water. We are not fans of sea days really so I'm wondering exactly how long after leaving Southampton it is before arriving at somewhere like Santander or la Coruna? My husband favours flying to Malaga and doing the Thomson cruise with 3 days on a beach afterwards but I'm thinking if I'm going to be sailing up and down the Atlantic coast I'd rather do it on a BIG ship like Azura! I've heard so many horror stories about the BoB it does make me think twice as my husband has been known to suffer very bad sea/ travel sickness.

When you sail from Southampton. 1st day Channel. 2nd day bob. 3rd day across bob and sail into wherever.

I don't think you can say any time of year you are guaranteed good weather across the bob.

What you should not do is sit and think its going to be horrible horrible horrible..you are worrying yourself over nothing.

It depends on the experience you want. We have done Thomson cruises. ok ,but we prefer pando. plus we have given up on flying..too stressful.

our holiday starts the minute we are on the ship, not after 3 hours at an airport terminal..2-3 flying..weight limits..etc..

It's one sea day to La Coruna or Santander, in other words you wake up the second day at the port.

It probably also depends on the size of ship? WE found the Britannia crossed the B of B much better than the Ventura. We like the sea days from Southampton and use the first day for a good lie in, plan activities, restaurants etc... and chill out. Mind you we had a suite last time and got up early for the Epicurean breakfast. The captain usually tells you what the sea conditions are likely to be and those needing medication can take whatever. I use the wrist bangles. Id much rather cross the bay than fly at the mo.

Thank you shipmates for your thoughts. I'm all for it really but I suppose I should consider my husbands opinions for at least one of our planned trips this year:rolleyes: I hate the hassle of airports and flying to so I'd choose cruise every time,,but sometimes it's nice just to have a week on a beach.