Retreat on Britannia in April

CheshireCruiser

Hi there.

Doing a Canaries Cruise on Britannia from Southampton early April. I'm interested in 'investing' in spending time in the Retreat and note from earlier threads that day passes likely to be limited and it's normally better to get a length of cruise pass.

My question is how comfortable is it up there during cooler weather? Can't imagine we'll get much in the way of sunshine for first few days and don't want to waste money on something I can't really use.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi there.

Doing a Canaries Cruise on Britannia from Southampton early April. I'm interested in 'investing' in spending time in the Retreat and note from earlier threads that day passes likely to be limited and it's normally better to get a length of cruise pass.

My question is how comfortable is it up there during cooler weather? Can't imagine we'll get much in the way of sunshine for first few days and don't want to waste money on something I can't really use.

It has got cover, but to be honest if it's cold it's not much fun. It's always so difficult to know what to do, not knowing what the demand will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ive been on the Britannia three times now and haven't booked the Retreat. We always had a balcony or found plenty of areas to sunbathe away from the crowds. You can have a tour of the Retreat when you board and if you haven't prebooked a place its a first come first served basis. It does look very nice but I haven't thought its worth all the extra money. We have always found they have advertised places in the daily magazine. Sometimes you need to move around a bit on a ship to catch the sun. Weve also found it very windy at the front of the ship. Last time we had a suite right at the very front and didn't use the balcony much because of the wind (plus the lack of sun). The adult area with its own pool is lovely with fancy daybeds etc... and worth spending some time in. Also we like the high decks at the back of the ship. Hope that helps.

I've been on Britannia twice and never seen anyone using the Retreat. I can't imagine that there will be much call for it in cool weather.

If I were you I'd wait and take a look when on board and decide then. I don't know, but they might offer discounts to get people in.

I imagine that because of the cooler days people wanting to use it will pay by the day. I've noticed similar trends with the hydro pools, people seem to have got fed up by the price hikes and are less willing to pay for the full cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

Hi there.

We're on the same cruise as you by the sound of it. We've booked a balcony but have pretty much written off any outside activities for the first three days. Hopefully once we get to Madeira and onwards the weather will be pleasantly warm!

Sent from my iPad using Forums