A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

Melissa ... you could probably do the walk one way in around 1 hour 20 minutes....the distance is about 3 miles ..... we took around 1 hour 40 ish minutes due to taking photographs.... it is a great walk but be sure to take plenty of water in a backpack or something similar..... :)

Also if you can .... print out a map from Google Earth to take with you, that way you can see where you are by the beach you are on. Maybe let somone know where you are headed as well.

Edited by sidari

Great thread. We are always looking for something new and different to do on PC. Last year we did walk south on the beach but not far enough to see these areas of interest.

We will be there again the end of Feb and now plan to make the trek to see these sights.

Did anyone find any interesting information regarding the people in the Graves ?

I tried doing some research online a while back, but i didnt find anything...im not so good at that. Im looking forward to visiting the site in April. Something different...like a scavenger hunt. :D

Did anyone find any interesting information regarding the people in the Graves ?

There have been a couple of general responses to this question, but nothing specific yet about the individuals.

I have noticed that the grave site location is now pinpointed on Google Earth.

This is not about Princess Cays, but about another old graveyard. Back in about 1987-8(??), we started cruising on a 30 pax tall ship, that mainly did the BVI at that time. Several pax were divers, and so the ship anchored off of a place called Salt Cay to meet with a local Dive Master to do the Wreck of the Roan. (Haven't googled - just going by memory). This is a very small island with a nice little beach, so the rest of us just did the beach thing. We took a walk, and came across a graveyard with about 20-30 graves, which were apparently those of some who had perished aboard the Roan. Each grave was covered in beautiful shells, as this is apparently a popular stop for smell chartered or private crafts. We knew nothing about this at the time, and just walked among the graves, trying to read names, which was difficult. A crew member filled us in. So, we picked up beach shells and placed them on the graves. It really was an eerie experience! Salt Cay is not occupied (no towns or villages). I'd seen several really old graveyards in Europe, but this was different. In 2000, I spent a week at a resort in Fiji, on the Coral Coast. Most resorts are associated with a local village, who make up a large part of the staff. Taking long walks down the beaches, we often observed several concrete-type caskets just sitting on top of the ground. Many were just kind of crumbling away. We were told that this was the old way of burying local villagers, but this was no longer allowed.

This has really been a fascinating thread! Our family owned land in the South since the early 1800's, and had a "family" graveyard. Without naming names, the U.S. government bought part of this land to build a U.S. Army Post. The stipulation was that the family graveyard not be disturbed. It is still there, surrounded by an iron fence, on the grounds of this Army Post. Thanks to whoever resurrected this thread!

Edited by imsulin

This is not about Princess Cays, but about another old graveyard. Back in about 1987-8(??), we started cruising on a 30 pax tall ship, that mainly did the BVI at that time. Several pax were divers, and so the ship anchored off of a place called Salt Cay to meet with a local Dive Master to do the Wreck of the Roan.

Was it the Santa Maria? :eek:

Nope! It was the Sir Francis Drake (Tall Ship Adventures). Unfortunately, she sank off of St. Maarten during Hurricane Lenny in 1999, but left years worth of great memories!

BTW - lived in Denver for 35 years.

Then you probably still know it well although its changed alot. ;)

Then you probably still know it well although its changed alot. ;)

Sure do! In High School, no one in their right mind would go to Larimer St. for fear of losing your life! Coors Brewery offered free tours and unlimited time in the Guest Lounge (which is where we all went for FAC. You could drink 3.2 beer at age 18, and also get into Shakey's.) Arapahoe Road used to be called Nobles Road, and was paved in gravel. The Denver Bears played baseball. We had Bronco season tickets at Mile High Stadium before the expansion of the East stands. My kids were "bused" beginning in 1979. We used to go to a place called "Buffalo Park" in Douglas County for "woodsies"....circa 1963. We used to ride horses along the Highline Canal in Arapahoe County. There was only one high school in Arapahoe County. There was an H&W root beer stand at the corner of So. University and Orchard Road. Kent School for Girls was on the corner of So. University and East Hampden. St. Mary's Academy was south of Hampden on So. University. Colorado Academy was a boarding school. Cherry Hills Village was across So. University from Cherry Hills Country Club (which did the Cherry Hillsdilly golf tournaments). Park Hill (6th Ave. and Monaco) was THE place to live. In the 50's, Cherry Creek shopping center had a Sears and Anderson's Toy Store. If you drove north on University Ave., the Polo Grounds (home of the Coors family) would be on your right before you got to CC Shopping center. The Denver Country Club was off of No. Speer. Montgomery Wards had a huge building on So. Broadway. The only time you heard of Aurora was because of Lowry AFB and Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. I-25 was built, then I-70, then I-225. I saw a lot of changes and growth over the years! Lo-Do, Larimer Square, May D&F, Denver Dry Goods, Oktoberfest, Duffy's Bar, the Brewery Bar, Red Rocks (where I saw the Beatles Aug. 1964), Joslin's, Rexall Drugstores, White Sands beach, ...I could go on and on.

Yes, I lived in Denver for 35 years!

Sure do! In High School, no one in their right mind would go to Larimer St. for fear of losing your life! Coors Brewery offered free tours and unlimited time in the Guest Lounge (which is where we all went for FAC. You could drink 3.2 beer at age 18, and also get into Shakey's.) Arapahoe Road used to be called Nobles Road, and was paved in gravel. The Denver Bears played baseball. We had Bronco season tickets at Mile High Stadium before the expansion of the East stands. My kids were "bused" beginning in 1979. We used to go to a place called "Buffalo Park" in Douglas County for "woodsies"....circa 1963. We used to ride horses along the Highline Canal in Arapahoe County. There was only one high school in Arapahoe County. There was an H&W root beer stand at the corner of So. University and Orchard Road. Kent School for Girls was on the corner of So. University and East Hampden. St. Mary's Academy was south of Hampden on So. University. Colorado Academy was a boarding school. Cherry Hills Village was across So. University from Cherry Hills Country Club (which did the Cherry Hillsdilly golf tournaments). Park Hill (6th Ave. and Monaco) was THE place to live. In the 50's, Cherry Creek shopping center had a Sears and Anderson's Toy Store. If you drove north on University Ave., the Polo Grounds (home of the Coors family) would be on your right before you got to CC Shopping center. The Denver Country Club was off of No. Speer. Montgomery Wards had a huge building on So. Broadway. The only time you heard of Aurora was because of Lowry AFB and Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. I-25 was built, then I-70, then I-225. I saw a lot of changes and growth over the years! Lo-Do, Larimer Square, May D&F, Denver Dry Goods, Oktoberfest, Duffy's Bar, the Brewery Bar, Red Rocks (where I saw the Beatles Aug. 1964), Joslin's, Rexall Drugstores, White Sands beach, ...I could go on and on.

Yes, I lived in Denver for 35 years!

Haha Shakeys!! Duffy's closed about 2 years ago but the Brewery Bar is still there. Excellent green chili!

Haha Shakeys!! Duffy's closed about 2 years ago but the Brewery Bar is still there. Excellent green chili!

Aaah - the Brewery Bar! (So. Kalamath?) Excellent chilli rellenos! The biggest and baddest! Do you remember the original Shakey's..think it was on Speer Blvd. just north of the old Cherry Creek shopping center. The best thing in 1963-4 was that CO issued yellow paper temporary DLs, so using your friend's (who was over 18) was no big deal. Some money changed hands. (Statute of Limitations has long expired, so I can admit that). What happened to Duffy's? That was a Denver landmark! Also, there was a restaurant in the early 70's (that no one could ever find) that served Big Game meals and had buttloads of trophy heads. Think it was down "by the tracks". There was also a restaurant just off of I-70 near Morrison that served buffalo meat. (Hated them both). We could buy quart bottles of 3.2 Coors beer for fifty cents. There was a "GEM Store" on So. Broadway in Littleton (precursor to K and Wal Marts) See? I TOLD you that that I lived in Denver for 35 years!

Aaah - the Brewery Bar! (So. Kalamath?) Excellent chilli rellenos! The biggest and baddest! Do you remember the original Shakey's..think it was on Speer Blvd. just north of the old Cherry Creek shopping center. The best thing in 1963-4 was that CO issued yellow paper temporary DLs, so using your friend's (who was over 18) was no big deal. Some money changed hands. (Statute of Limitations has long expired, so I can admit that). What happened to Duffy's? That was a Denver landmark! Also, there was a restaurant in the early 70's (that no one could ever find) that served Big Game meals and had buttloads of trophy heads. Think it was down "by the tracks". There was also a restaurant just off of I-70 near Morrison that served buffalo meat. (Hated them both). We could buy quart bottles of 3.2 Coors beer for fifty cents. There was a "GEM Store" on So. Broadway in Littleton (precursor to K and Wal Marts) See? I TOLD you that that I lived in Denver for 35 years!

Duffys building was sold and the owner decided to pack it in.

Buckhorn Exchange is the restaurant and its still there, I think it the oldest place in Colo?

Think the place on I-70 is closed now, I think it was at the Evergreen exit.

Memories!

Duffys building was sold and the owner decided to pack it in.

Buckhorn Exchange is the restaurant and its still there, I think it the oldest place in Colo?

Think the place on I-70 is closed now, I think it was at the Evergreen exit.

Memories!

Aaah yes - the Buckhorn Exchange! That was it! It was hard to find, and had several dining levels. Narrow and cramped. I think you're right about it being the oldest (still-functioning) restaurant in COLO. Somewhere, I have pictures of me at the Buckhorn Exchange (1972??). This restaurant was touted even back then! You still couldn't find it, and even locals couldn't/wouldn't direct you to it. Was there three times when we actually made it there! The "buffalo meat" restaurant was indeed off of I-70, but I thought it was off of the Morrison exit. You could be right, though. Do you remember the Aug. 1976 Big Thompson flood? So many people died! I happened right smack in the middle of the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics. Do you remember the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park? (scene of "The Shining") Oldest son was born 7-7-76. We lived on So. Race St. at the time (Washington Park), and I totally panicked. Those were the events during the summer of 1976 (Mark Spitz, Nadia Comanice (sp)). The Big Thompson Flood dominated the headlines. (Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post). Colo Cruiser - so nice to have found someone else who was "there" besides me!

Grego .... the pictures on Google Earth are in the wrong place, the graves are a little further South of where the picture has been posted.

Dave.

I put the pictures on Google earth and yes, it's an estimate of where they are.... I didn't have a GPS with me when I went looking for them (inspired by this thread)

But the picture and notes tell the tale, when you get there you'll know... they are just a few meters from the shore.

Gotta leave a bit of mystery to them eh? :rolleyes:

here's a pic (one of the ones I posted here (now expired) and on google E

picblye994.jpg

And don't forget, these are the two 'easy ones" There are lots more you have to look for. All right on the beach.

Edited by A Sixth?

Just started reading this thread---I'm now a believer--will be there next month--are reef shoes good for this trek or is something more substantial necessary??

Thanks for any information--

Nancy:D:D

Just started reading this thread---I'm now a believer--will be there next month--are reef shoes good for this trek or is something more substantial necessary??

Thanks for any information--

Nancy:D:D

There are a few rough spots between the sandy beach-bits, so some sort of shoes would be in order. We had walking sandals on.... your mileage may very.

here's another of the "harder to find" graves... all still almost on the shoreline

picblye870.jpg