A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

Duffys building was sold and the owner decided to pack it in.

Buckhorn Exchange is the restaurant and its still there, I think it the oldest place in Colo?

Think the place on I-70 is closed now, I think it was at the Evergreen exit.

Memories!

I believe this is the El Rancho rest. This is just off I-70 Here's a link to menu.

Buckhorn Exchange has Liquor License #1 from early day in Colo.

Morrison is where "THE FORT" is in Morrison and also has wild game including buffalo. This is south of I-70 near hwy 285 located on hwy 8.

I believe this is the El Rancho rest. This is just off I-70 Here's a link to menu.

Morrison is where "THE FORT" is in Morrison and also has wild game including buffalo. This is south of I-70 near hwy 285 located on hwy 8.

Forgot about the Fort, thanks. :)

Thanks, donna5! Between you and Colo. Cruiser, you have answered my questions! Thanks for the memories!

I remember this thread from when it was first posted, neat thing.

One reason why graves are above ground, is because of high water tables, think of the old cemetaries in New Orleans or in St Augustine.

Second best post-cruise excursion was a tour of NOLA, including the above-ground cemeteries. Shove a new one in, and the old ones will drop down and just kind of "disintegrate". And be shovelled out. The high water table was the same reason we were given for the old graves we saw in Fiji.

Im looking forward to this too, but I still have 5 more months! :( I just hope I make it back in time for the beach BBQ! LOL...I really enjoy that.

Don't worry they've been there a long time... I'm sure they'll be there in five months....:p

I have enjoyed reading some of the posts on here. This treasure hunt and the interest it has sparked, has made me think about how CC and cruising might be the perfect combination for members here to participate in the fun of geocaching. The definition and a bit of info on it is at this link:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/

It seems like the cruising crowd would be an excellent group to hide little caches all around the globe (in ports of calls) and through that, many visitors could use the hunt for the caches as incentives to explore the ports. We could focus on some of the more interesting, out of the way (not on the tours!) spots that people have discovered and would like to share? These gravesites are a perfect example of what I am thinking would make great caching destinations.

Has anyone ever done this on their cruises? Caches already exist in many ports that could be used as well.....sound like fun?:)

I just finished reading this interesting thread, I love stuff like this and now when I visit PC next week I am planning to visit the graves. It's so exciting to have a mission, who knows maybe I'll find more information.

I've never been to PC so I need directions, do I start at the pier? I know its south, but which way is that?

DH wants to wear his water shoes, they are tennis shoe like and not just slippers, is this enough to wear on hike to the graves?

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday,

Amelia

Amelia ..... when you have got off the Tender at Pc walk around to the opposite side of the small harbour over the small wooden bridge and head towards the toilet area following the footpath, from here you can either follow the beach until you reach the graves or go across the vollyball court behind the toilet blcok and follow the track. .... :)

The shoes you mention would be ok for this short hike.

Amelia ..... when you have got off the Tender at Pc walk around to the opposite side of the small harbour over the small wooden bridge and head towards the toilet area following the footpath, from here you can either follow the beach until you reach the graves or go across the vollyball court behind the toilet blcok and follow the track. .... :)

The shoes you mention would be ok for this short hike.

Thanks Dave! Hopefully the allure of the mystery graves is greater than the allure of the vollyball court! Anyway to avoid seeing the vollyball courts until after our walk???? ;)

Hi everyone,

Found this site after stumbling on the graves yesterday during my cruise on the Crown Princess (12/19-12/16 '09). I decided to take a walk on the beach past the basketball and volleyball courts, and sure enough, found two graves. I walked back to the resort area and asked a couple of vendors if they knew anything about the graves, and eventually found one person who said that they were slave graves, and more could be found in the area.

I went back to the graves with some friends and then passed them, searching for more. Unfortunately, it was raining heavily making it pretty miserable to trek. About 10 or 15 minutes after passing the graves, we found a building marked "Cable Landing" (very faded), which we later learned from the same person was a communications building used by the US Marines, and more graves are apparently located behind it (which we didn't see due to the thick vegetation surrounding the building). Since it was raining really hard, I was only able to reach my camera in the doorway and snap some pictures and quickly put it back in my backpack without looking at them. When I looked at them later, it turned out the building was empty, although there was a ladder going below the building inside to a basement...hopefully someone on this board could check it out further.

I discovered the graves last April when I hiked over the rocks with some new made friends from our cc group. We stumbled upon the graves and put some stones on the grave which is a Jewish custom to show respect for the departed. I've attached a couple of photos.. you can see the Emerald Princess in the backgrouns...

Larry

IMG_0939.jpg.9a843a640219d600186c9e315bc4c098.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg.cf071f0e727f057fcbf4db2cee4cd9b3.jpg