Egypt Tours - Nile Cruise

FlorBenitez

I wish that all of this info had appeared before regarding Egyptian Visas and Uniworld. I would have taken the option of waiting until we got to the airport.

... one reason that most cruise lines will advise to get the visa in advance is that not everyone is entitled to use the visa on arrival option and getting it in advance will highlight any problems while there is still time to deal with them.

In order to tell people that they can use the visa on arrival option they would have to also explain the exceptions, and that puts them in a position of assuming a liability they would rather not assume...

I agree that Uniworld is within their rights to advise everyone to get a visa before they arrive in Cairo, so they won't be liable if anything goes wrong.

And yes, security in Cairo was sloppy, and in Luxor. Case in point the bombing of the plane flying from Luxor to Safaga just after we were there. An inside job no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...
I friend and I are going on a Viking Nile cruise in March 2017. Applying for a Visa right now. The form asks for address in Egypt - not sure what to put.

I just checked DOS (travel.state.gov) web page and American citizens entering Egypt require a VISA. You can purchase a 30 day Visa at the airport in Cairo for $25 that is good for one entry.... if you need a multiple entry VISA, which you will if you are doing a post trip to Jordan (highly recommended BTW) it will cost $30. I don't remember, but I think they want American currency. When we went (pre Arab Spring with Vantage) our guide met us at the airport (everyone had to fly EgyptAir) and collected $20 from each person and our passports and got them for us. It's not really a very formal thing, more a "fund raiser" type event. However if you think you might have a problem at the airport or if you are entering from Israel (pre-trip) you are advised to get your VISA pre-trip.

Edited by Hydrokitty

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the 4 Feb Uniworld Nile cruise. We used Visa Central and got out Visa's within a couple of weeks. We used the Four Seasons Hotel as our address.

There has been conversations on another thread that you can show up at the Cairo airport and get the Visas there. We opted to play it safe and get them before hand. Visa Central made the process easy.

I am on the 4 Feb Uniworld Nile cruise. We used Visa Central and got out Visa's within a couple of weeks. We used the Four Seasons Hotel as our address.

There has been conversations on another thread that you can show up at the Cairo airport and get the Visas there. We opted to play it safe and get them before hand. Visa Central made the process easy.

Pinotlover, have a great trip! We'll wave to you when we're flying over on 2/5, on our way to Uniworld's cruisetour in India. :D

It is true that you can get visas on arrival. But it is chaotic and it may or may not be something you want to brave after a long tiring flight. We'd gone to Jordan first, so we arrived in Cairo after a few days in Jordan, after a less than 2 hour flight, and all acclimated to the time difference, so it was much less daunting. Plus, we had help.

Hi, are you on the March 10 cruise? Did you get your visa ok? Thanks!

I am on the March 10 cruise leaving from Washington Dulles. Visa is in progress. I just attended a lecture at the Smithsonian given by Bob Brier who is an "expert" on pyramids, tombs, etc. It was so interesting and it really sunk in I will be there in 2 months!!

We are on this cruise as well and excited to see the sites of Egypt. Looking forward to meeting you, the Scott's.

We've mentioned a several different cruises in the last few posts, which one are you on?

Just wanted to make sure the right people will be looking out for you onboard :)

• 1 month later...
Will be on the Uniworld Cairo and Nile cruise in Feb 2017. Just sent off our passports to get the Visas. Looking forward to this trip!

I believe that Uniworld suggests tips in Egyptian Pounds, but will try to get as many as possible on the account so to handle by credit card.

Are you back from your trip? Please tell all!! My trip is in 2 1/2 weeks.