Cruising good for your health...!

Ginb56

Looking forward to our next June cruise - and for any first time cruisers, did you know cruising can be good for your waistline? I'm sure quite a few cruisers, like us, go on a diet for months beforehand so that any extra pounds gained on your hols aren't quite so depressing... (Tip - take stretchy waistband trews for the latter part of your hols). Hubby and I share any cake with coffee or onshore treats, so we instantly halve the calories! Then healthy diet begins again once home. Am I sounding convincing?!

Then there's all the extra miles we walk on board and on shore that we might not do in a normal day walking the dog etc. And the fresh air. And the relaxation. Just talked myself into booking another cruise, methinks!

Can be......You seem to be aware of health/activity/ eating/ issues so should enjoy the cruise experience and easily shed a pound or two when you get home. We always do. Good that you are aiming to step aboard at a weight you are happy with,and not starting out where you dont care much any more. My wife and I were staggered to see the amounts of food and drink put away,(and left on the plate),on our first cruise. Other holiday/hotel options do not cater to this gluttony......(that I know of). Many seasoned cruisers are in total denial of their health and well being,no need to be joining them. As long as you dont have health or mobility problems take the stairs (its quicker -avoiding the one floor hop on hop off crowd)) and walk when you can.Days ashore we choose to skip lunch as a catch up and get in some pleasant walks sightseeing. Also meet some like minded people. Example: On our last cruise the ship docked in Gibralta. Hard to say for sure but it appeared that the majority caught a bus,taxi,or ships tour into town.About a mile and a half I think. As we, and another couple we met along the way arrived in the main street we were amused to see the cafes and in particular the fish and chip shops and pubs heaving with people from our cruise.(we were the only cruise ship in that day).Its how this 78 year young couple (and others) do our travels......Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy it fully in whatever way you choose!

Good work Clodia, I do a high intensity weights session in the gym every three days.This keeps the metabalism ticking over to burn the empty calories, and along with the daily activity aboard and ashore works well....means you build a good appetite and eat very well........Its all about food awareness though. One foolish pastry can cancel out those 10 laps !!! I will get off quick. Gotta be some eye rolling going on somewhere!!

I normally come back a pound or two lighter! I have my usual muesli for breakfast with some fruit. A great big salad for lunch and can only usually manage a starter and a main course for dinner.

I walk more than I do at home, as I still work, so spend time sitting at the office. We try not to use the lifts and do lots of walking ashore on DIY excursions.

I find that my weight stays pretty much the same when I'm on a cruise. Though I eat a lot more, I walk a lot more too. Even on a sea-day, I probably walk a couple of miles during the course of the day, by the time you add up all the to-ing and fro-ing between the various venues on the ship. I mostly take the stairs instead of the lift too, though I draw the line at using the stairs to go up from deck 5 to the Crow's Nest!

6 pounds in 4 days? Why?

I would be far more worried about throat and chest problems from air conditioning, which we have had quite a few times.

I agree..hubby and I have just come off Ventura 28 nights, he caught a cold on board which has now turned into pneunomia !