Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Yes, we used US money the entire time (and even credit cards with no problem). :) I haven't found one place, while cruising the Caribbean and any of the ports we have been to (which are a lot) that hasn't accepted US money. No worries. :D

Awesome thanks! It makes it a bit easier to not have to use a different currency everywhere!

For those of you still reading...I have been contacted by Spencer Ambrose and they are going to be using some of my pictures from our tour to Jalousie Beach on part of their website. How cool is that? :D

That is awesome!! Those pics are incredible and part of the reason that I decided that I "need" to go there! Samantha got us booked last night. Can't wait to see it in person but from looking at your pictures, it feels like I already have. I hope I can figure out my Olympus tough enough to get pics half as good as yours. Congrats

That is awesome!! Those pics are incredible and part of the reason that I decided that I "need" to go there! Samantha got us booked last night. Can't wait to see it in person but from looking at your pictures, it feels like I already have. I hope I can figure out my Olympus tough enough to get pics half as good as yours. Congrats

It is amazing. I just love the snorkeling there. The next time we go, I hope to find a way to scuba there. It's still Sakari's favorite place ever to snorkel. She still talks about it all the time. I hope you have a wonderful time like we did. They are top notch!

Practice, practice, practice. You'll get the hang of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all of your pictures of Fascination. As you are already aware, I LOVE this itinerary and would love to do it again. There has been a lot of griping about Fascination, an older and smaller ship, put on the southern itinerary out of San Juan. I will admit, I was disappointed myself and also questioned that move. After seeing your pictures, I actually like what I'm seeing...Fascination is a beautiful ship!!! Jamman54 also had some great pictures of the inside of Fascination as well, but this was before she was moved to the southern itinerary out of San Juan and before I had real interest in her, so I'll be heading back to his review too. :D

I haven't been on CC since the end of our last cruise, October 2016 on the Magic. Then I log in today and see this review by a person I have ready many of in the past. Awesome! :D I literally just booked this cruise TODAY.

I was not too excited about the smaller ship, but for the itinerary, the price - you bet I will make do. Then, however, I started to read some of the reviews. Oi vey. Much like quoted above states they were not the greatest by any stretch. I started to question my judgement on the booking I had only just made. *sigh* Older ship I can handle, just like a hotel, but dirty or broken does not bode well. I agree with the comments above. It does look nice! I am also a believer that any vacation is what you make of it.

I am happy to see this review because it has put some of my fears to ease. Our cruise is not until March 2018 so I can only hope things will improve!

Do you still have the email to boat yard? or website? I have been there 5 years ago. Loved it. I took cab. I just want to make sure we get a spot since I taking kids this time.

All you have to do is google The Boatyard Barbados and it should come up. You can just show up and pay. You don't need a reservation so no worries. Just go early and there should be plenty of room. :)

I haven't been on CC since the end of our last cruise, October 2016 on the Magic. Then I log in today and see this review by a person I have ready many of in the past. Awesome! :D I literally just booked this cruise TODAY.

I was not too excited about the smaller ship, but for the itinerary, the price - you bet I will make do. Then, however, I started to read some of the reviews. Oi vey. Much like quoted above states they were not the greatest by any stretch. I started to question my judgement on the booking I had only just made. *sigh* Older ship I can handle, just like a hotel, but dirty or broken does not bode well. I agree with the comments above. It does look nice! I am also a believer that any vacation is what you make of it.

I am happy to see this review because it has put some of my fears to ease. Our cruise is not until March 2018 so I can only hope things will improve!

Honestly, the ship was fine. I would definitely sail her again with no hesitation at all. The only thing I remember not working is the lights in the atrium that are different colors as you look up. Other than that, the ship was nice and clean and we really liked it. :)

Honestly, the ship was fine. I would definitely sail her again with no hesitation at all. The only thing I remember not working is the lights in the atrium that are different colors as you look up. Other than that, the ship was nice and clean and we really liked it. :)

I'm glad to hear you say that. Someone would have to go out of their way to ruin my vacation, but poor food and a dirty ship would not make it the greatest either.

I'm glad to hear you say that. Someone would have to go out of their way to ruin my vacation, but poor food and a dirty ship would not make it the greatest either.

Yea, it's really hard to ruin my vacation as well and we usually just go with the flow. Yes, we sometimes have "bloopers", but if you harp on it, it will eat you alive and ruin things. I try not to dwell, even the bad little things that happen. The ship was definitely clean and beautiful. Have a great cruise!

Mitsugirly-- love your photos and descriptions of the trip to The Boatyard! A friend and I are going in April and your tips will be super helpful. Can't WAIT to snorkel!

:D

Thanks so much. It was a great day and beautiful beach! I hope you have a wonderful time there! :)

Love your pics that Spencer Ambrose Tours chose to use for their website! Sakari should feel famous bc of the pic of her diving with her monofin :)

Yea, she was so excited to see herself on it with her fin on. Too bad she didn't have the mermaid time with her that day but I normally don't allow her to take it if it's not "one of those kinda beaches" with easy entrance, sandy with a gradual decline. I knew that most of our day would be spent snorkeling, so the mono-fin is perfect for that. She does better in it than in regular fins. :)

• 2 weeks later...
When we got back and gathered our things, we decided to move to the other side for the rest of the day. This would be the picture I sent back to friends and family at home.

PHONE%20DAY%202%20copy-L.jpg

P8171971%20copy-L.jpg

P8171973%20copy-L.jpg

We were ready for a drink

P8171830%20copy-L.jpg

P8171831%20copy-L.jpg

Then of course we would find out that there is a limited amount of drinks to pick from

This would be my pick of course

P8171975%20copy-L.jpg

Hey there! We're going to the Boatyard next year. Can you explain why there's 2 prices next to everything on the menu?

Hey there! We're going to the Boatyard next year. Can you explain why there's 2 prices next to everything on the menu?

It looks like the US Prices are in Black (at least that is what it says at the top of the menu)

The one on the left is BBD (Barbadian Dollars). The one on the right is in U.S. dollars.

Right now it's 2 BBD for 1 USD... but I don't think they change the prices daily...

Honestly, I don't really care of Jamaica and try to avoid cruises there. Therefore, I would never go there for a vacation. But it sounds like they have an awesome place to view the bioluminescent bay as well. :)

I hear people say this often so I am not surprised. I LOVE Jamaica so much, it is where I would go live if I won the lottery. It is my favorite port ever (either of them). I have been reading your reviews for 3 days now even though I sail with my best friend. We have no kids and she cannot stand to be near them (too many like the screamer at your Dr Seuss breakfast) so we spend a lot of time in the Serenity area and the spa. We also don't do beaches, I've been to plenty, so we do other things. I love your reviews because it is like getting a whole different cruise experience. I'm also going to buy an underwater camera after seeing all your gorgeous pictures. I priced the ones you have on Amazon, they have dropped in price a lot since I started looking at them 10 years ago. Anyway thanks for the great reviews!

I hear people say this often so I am not surprised. I LOVE Jamaica so much, it is where I would go live if I won the lottery. It is my favorite port ever (either of them). I have been reading your reviews for 3 days now even though I sail with my best friend. We have no kids and she cannot stand to be near them (too many like the screamer at your Dr Seuss breakfast) so we spend a lot of time in the Serenity area and the spa. We also don't do beaches, I've been to plenty, so we do other things. I love your reviews because it is like getting a whole different cruise experience. I'm also going to buy an underwater camera after seeing all your gorgeous pictures. I priced the ones you have on Amazon, they have dropped in price a lot since I started looking at them 10 years ago. Anyway thanks for the great reviews!

Yea, I don't know. My "non-love" for Jamaica just stems back from the 80's and an experience I had there and that pretty much set the tone for me. I mean it's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the people...I don't know, I just remain uneasy when there due to experiences (and trust me, there are a lot of ports in the Caribbean that are the same way). But, I have a patient I care for from Jamaica and her family were born there. She is amazing and someone that if she wasn't my patient, she could darn well be in the best friend circle. :p

Yea, the kids issue...mine is not perfect and she has her moments, but she's darn near most of the time. I'm very proud of how well behaved she is 90% of the time. But then again, we all have our "moments". But honestly, I'm not a "kid" person either...unless it's my own. There's just something about those screaming, whining kids that parents don't control that erks me. I would say a majority of the kids I come across on a cruise are pretty unruly and doing things I would never allow mine to do (and she gives me this look to see if I'm watching them). You know, for instance my grandson who cruises with us :rolleyes: If you've read some of the reviews with him in them...yea, he's that unruly kid I wanna smack upside the head. :')

I hope you find a good deal on the Olympus. I absolutely LOVE them, especially my new TG4. Amazing!

I wish you the best and have a great time cruising.

Kim, thank you for another great review! I enjoyed going along with you -- I haven't sailed out of San Juan in decades. I appreciate that your good and bad moments are always supported with why -- it makes your reviews so helpful even if I disagree.

Looking forward to your next one!

Kim, thank you for another great review! I enjoyed going along with you -- I haven't sailed out of San Juan in decades. I appreciate that your good and bad moments are always supported with why -- it makes your reviews so helpful even if I disagree.

Looking forward to your next one!

Thanks for the comments Carolyn. I appreciate it. :)

I've had one more review (after this one) and will have another coming up next month. :D

Mitsugirly did the fascination have a coffee bar? If so where is it? Also were they serving the new American fare menu or the old one?

Thanks for your responses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

You ask me about 2 things I don't really do... :p I don't drink coffee, but they do have one (just couldn't tell you much about it).

It's kinda off the side, along Hollywood Blvd, I believe around the Passage to India area (can't miss it, HUGE elephants sticking out).

Here's a picture I pulled off of google, so not mine, I just didn't feel like sifting through my pictures to look for one.

37-BogartsCafe.jpg

Actually, I did see this picture of mine...this is the entrance of Hollywood and you can see the elephants at Passage to India and see that area right past that? That's the coffee bar.

P8151141%20copy-L.jpg

As for the American menu or "the old one"...I have no clue the difference between the two honestly. We are more of a "buffet" type of person and usually only visit the MDR one or two nights during the cruise. I'm a pretty simple person...look at menu, pick something, give it no thought.

When I searched Carnival, this is what I found:

Dinner Concept: American Table and American Feast

American Table and American Feast have been designed to create a contemporary and memorable dining experience for our guests.

This complimentary dinner concept is currently on the following ships: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Dream, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Elation, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Valor, Carnival Victory and Carnival Vista. Please note: This experience may vary slightly among these ships.

@Mitsugirlys Thank you for an amazingly insightful review. We are leaving in 5 weeks for this same cruise, and we're taking members of our extended family. I've used your notes to plan our itinerary. It's been ages since I've been on a Carnival ship. What deck do you disembark the ship from each day in port? That's going to be our meeting point each morning.

I've totally been stalking your old reviews of the same stops, too. I'm so looking forward to Coki and Linquist beach in St. Thomas, The Boatyard in Barbados, Jalousie in St. Lucia, Carambola in St. Kitts, and St. Maarten is a toss up between Pinel, Maho, and exploring Marigot in St. Thomas. Your photos are fantastic...I'm not a strong swimmer, but my husband and boys are so I'm super excited for them to see everything you've shared with us.