Help! ? About taking donations off the ship?

tidygirl

Last year we took a duffle bag of clothes, school stuff etc to the Dominican Republic. We were stopped while getting off and was told we couldn't take the bag if we hadn't filed paperwork.

We are returning to a different port in the Dominican next month and are hoping to meet up with some Americans that live there, we would like to take some stuff for them and for people that they may know that would need it.

Has anyone taken big bags off the ship succefully and what did you have to do to make sure we can take them off? Will we have to pay a customs tax or fee if it's gifts or donations?

Yes I have. Speak to guest services after you board. There are customs documents to fill out before you get to the port and you need an itemized list of what you have. Custom fees depend on the country and how you value the items you are donating.

Speak to guest services after you board. There are customs documents to fill out before you get to the port and you need an itemized list of what you have. Custom fees depend on the country and how you value the items you are donating. You may be asked for the name and address of the place you are leaving the donations also.

Does the Dominican Republic require a tax to be paid by donors of relief goods, or just for documentation? Sounds discouraging to those willing to help.

There may not be any tax involved, but transportation of goods between countries almost always requires customs declarations. I routinely ship used lube oil samples to Japan for analysis, about 1 cup of dirty oil, no value, but have to fill out and include 6 copies of customs declarations when sending by FEDEX. If you ship luggage home from overseas, you must declare your used clothing as such.

I did contact the Port at Amber Cove, they told me if it's a smaller bag I "shouldn't " have to pay taxes on it but if it's a bigger item like a box I "may" so we shall see.

I did research and it seems we will need to go to the desk and fill out customs papers.

There may not be any tax involved, but transportation of goods between countries almost always requires customs declarations. I routinely ship used lube oil samples to Japan for analysis, about 1 cup of dirty oil, no value, but have to fill out and include 6 copies of customs declarations when sending by FEDEX. If you ship luggage home from overseas, you must declare your used clothing as such.

Good to know. Thanks.

We took a bag full of shoes and they stopped me as well.

I told them I was taking them to the beach to take pictures and I was an artist then bringing them back on.

If there are a few in the group just separate them and take the stuff out that way.

JMHO

Trying to circumvent another country's laws will not end well.

We tried to take a duffel bag of (used) clothing to a family member in Ensenada in November. They would not let us take it off the ship. Really sucked, because we had paid for the duffel bag, airline baggage fee and then we had to pay baggage fee to return home, and also duffel bag that we will never use.

We tried to take a duffel bag of (used) clothing to a family member in Ensenada in November. They would not let us take it off the ship. Really sucked, because we had paid for the duffel bag, airline baggage fee and then we had to pay baggage fee to return home, and also duffel bag that we will never use.

I learned that you need to separate stuff and not be so obvious with what you are doing.

Someone from our FB page organized donations on 2 islands for 2 schools and an orphanage. We had a letter from the organization we could give to authorities if we were stopped. Our group donated over 300 pounds of school supplies and I did not hearof anyone being questioned. The 2 of us each had a backpack of supplies. I think the key was working with the organization benefitting from the donations before the donations took place. We were told authorities did not want things to be brought in and end up being sold for profit.

We brought 4 suitcases full of school supplies on our last cruise. I emailed carnival ahead of time and they were expecting it when we got there. When we got to the port, we were ushered into a room with authorities and customs. I had previously filled out everything that was in the suitcases. It was very formal. The way they were combing over everything I was afraid that they weren't going to allow it... but they did :)

Someone from our FB page organized donations on 2 islands for 2 schools and an orphanage. We had a letter from the organization we could give to authorities if we were stopped. Our group donated over 300 pounds of school supplies and I did not hearof anyone being questioned. The 2 of us each had a backpack of supplies. I think the key was working with the organization benefitting from the donations before the donations took place. We were told authorities did not want things to be brought in and end up being sold for profit.

The authorities also want these types of donations given to a legitimate organization for distribution. When cruisers start passing out goodies to locsl children willy-nilly, those kids start skipping school in hopes of more stuff, neededor not

Your post made me giggle. :D