Room Service Tips

flasaltwater63

Tips for room service are NOT in the Alternative Services. You have not prepaid them. You are expected to tip a couple of bucks.

EXPECTED. I don't think so. I tip when I order room service but to use the word EXPECTED is just plan ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone ever tip the person that brings roomservice? even though I know tips are prepaid but I always feel bad if I don't tip room service because I was to lazy to go up the the buffet to get my coffee[emoji39] do you tip room service? How much? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have followed what I was told, it is customary to tip 1$ per person eating the RS. So in my case usually 2$ as my son regularly comes with me

Per CCL FAQ: "It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests. The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as*stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services."

We enjoy our time cruising and a large part of that is the tremendous staff. We provide additional tips above the suggested amounts and for room service we give tip depending on our order.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I think a tip for room service is expected. It isn't part of the gratuities on the cruise.

YMMV, but I'd feel as uncomfortable not tipping the person who brought the tray as I would not tipping at a land restaurant.

The amount I tip depends on how much I order, but considering they serve every item on a separate plate - those trays can get heavy if you are ordering a few things & a pot of coffee.

Yes, it is expected. Room service waiters are off the clock and it is their wage.

Sorry, but tipping is NEVER expected. That is why it is a tip. For good service. Room service waiters are not off the clock. They are working, so they are on the clock. Where did you get the idea that they were off the clock? And, their wage is paid by Carnival. If that is their wage (which it isn't) then they need to take that up with Carnival, their employer.

As for tipping, yes a couple of dollars for an order is fine.

I love tipping threads, because they mostly make no sense. Anyone living in the USA, knows what a tip is, and on a regular basis, like weekly, they tip people. It's in our customs. Just like some other countries, it is customary not to tip for every little thing.

I look at room service the same way I look at the delivery driver for Domino's Pizza. They are delivering food to me, because I'm too lazy myself, or I just don't want to go to a buffet and fight for my food etc. What ever the case I give them a tip. How much, is my business.

These people are "on the clock". They are on the clock from the first day of their contract to the last day of their contract. They are either working, or on their down time.

I heard tips from $0.00 to $5.00 and tips per amount of food to just coffee. The work involved is the same, regardless of one or two plates, etc. (Just like one or two pizza's, still only one stop). So I give them extra money because I'm lazy, but it's not required. My guess is they get some of the auto tips also, but that's none of my business because it's their pay, and I just feel, that It's their business and not mine.

Just like room service, people love to tips extra to bar staff, for pouring them a 30 second drink. 18% is an awesome tip for this service, but an extra $1 - $2 per drink is now giving them a 30-40% tip!

For some reason, people get passionate of bragging, and over tipping for basic, and simple service. Room service, pouring a drink. All simple services. However, you don't hear passionate conversation about waiters, etc, who do so much more for you in the dining room, or behind the scenes.

I for one, which a cruise was tip free. Included in price, no chance of removing it. Change it to service charge and name it as such. It should say, "taxes, port charges, and service charges" on a line item after you book.

Yes! If it's just coffee for me, I'd tip 2$. If it's a full family meal, with multiple trays, I suggest 5$. We plan to let the kids order a few late night snacks, while we enjoy adult activities. They know to tip the delivery person a couple dollars.

Yes, it is expected. Room service waiters are off the clock and it is their wage.

A gratuity is not a wage it is given as a reward for a job well done. If they dont get paid a wage and CHOOSE to work for gratuities thats their choice. If it is EXPECTED then they would just charge you accordingly upon ordering. It is still a choice weather to tip or not.....Like i said in my previous post i always do but some nationalities dont believe in tipping.

If i was in a nice Dining establishment but had crappy service i surly would not tip weather it was part of their wage or not. What is the incentive to give good service?

I could really care less what anyone else does as i only need to worry about myself, but please dont tell people its expected of them to do something that is their own choice. Sounds like you may have worked in the service industry at one time or another and are a little sour on the subject ....

You should voice your opinion and say what you would do and allow everyone to make their own choice weather right or wrong its still their choice.

A gratuity is not a wage it is given as a reward for a job well done. If they dont get paid a wage and CHOOSE to work for gratuities thats their choice. If it is EXPECTED then they would just charge you accordingly upon ordering. It is still a choice weather to tip or not.....Like i said in my previous post i always do but some nationalities dont believe in tipping.

If i was in a nice Dining establishment but had crappy service i surly would not tip weather it was part of their wage or not. What is the incentive to give good service?

I could really care less what anyone else does as i only need to worry about myself, but please dont tell people its expected of them to do something that is their own choice. Sounds like you may have worked in the service industry at one time or another and are a little sour on the subject ....

You should voice your opinion and say what you would do and allow everyone to make their own choice weather right or wrong its still their choice.

When you receive a personal service from certain professions, a gratuity is expected upon completion of said service. Room service delivery is such a service.

For some reason, I get panicked about tipping; I think I need to bring all this extra cash with me, but i just did the math in my head. I like to order coffee and OJ in the mornings, and I realized just getting a 20 changed into ones should be plenty.

When you receive a personal service from certain professions, a gratuity is expected upon completion of said service. Room service delivery is such a service.

In the USA we customarily do tend to tip but not all nationalities do. This is your opinion and just that, an opinion. Its really great that we live in a world that we can make our own choice without having to do what some expect us to do.

Life is to short to worry about such trivial things. If a waitress, waiter, server, bar tender expects to get a tip maybe they should choose a different profession.

And by the way room service does get paid a wage plus room and board. You should know your facts before you just randomly blurt out untruths.

In the USA we customarily do tend to tip but not all nationalities do. This is your opinion and just that, an opinion. Its really great that we live in a world that we can make our own choice without having to do what some expect us to do.

Life is to short to worry about such trivial things. If a waitress, waiter, server, bar tender expects to get a tip maybe they should choose a different profession.

And by the way room service does get paid a wage plus room and board. You should know your facts before you just randomly blurt out untruths.

A regional custom is not an opinion.

Circular references to dodge the issue is the justification of the non-tipper. Being a schmuck is indeed your choice when you enjoy the services of a traditionally tipped position and then say "Choose a different job - I'm not tipping you".

You should know your facts before you blurt out your opinions - otherwise you sound incredibly silly.

A regional custom is not an opinion.

Circular references to dodge the issue is the justification of the non-tipper. Being a schmuck is indeed your choice when you enjoy the services of a traditionally tipped position and then say "Choose a different job - I'm not tipping you".

You should know your facts before you blurt out your opinions - otherwise you sound incredibly silly.

Its really a shame that you only target the words you want to. I never claimed to not tip room service on the contrary I said i did but i would never make the choice for someone else as you are. After all we do still live in a democracy. Calling me names shows how childish you are. You should know that all people are different thats what makes this such a great world to live in.

We are both on the same side of the fence, as we both tip, but telling other people what is expected of them is ... well to say the very least "SILLY"

Anyway Im over it hope you have a great day :D