Bringing bottled water on board

cruisingready

Yes you can bring your own bottled water onboard (I do all the time). Mine is packed into a carry-on bag which I bring aboard myself. I take at least a litre of water per day of the cruise. I drink alot of water. by bringing it in a carry-on bag, I have an empty bag to fill with shopping or whatever for the trip home.

Am I wrong in thinking its available on board?

Not wrong at all. It is available on board. I do wish Princess had a drink package like Celebrity. They have a package that includes soda and bottled water. It was great because I didn't have to bring my own but Princess doesn't. Oh well. Different lines have different packages.

MIght one politely inquire why anyone mistrusts the purity and taste of Princess' onboard water, which flows freely and for free? Or for that matter - and given numerous studies - trusts the purity of bottled water, much of which is simply repurposed tap water, plenty of which contains nasty contaminents? Why does anyone schlep water onboard, instead of doing your wallet and your environment a favor and carrying a refillable stainless steel water bottle?

I'm serious: why?

Edited by shepp

DH and I brought our Brita water bottles onboard. We filled them with ice and water at the buffet throughout the day, and kept them in the fridge overnight.

The bottles are very convenient, and eliminate a lot of trash. Also, they can be brought through TSA empty and then filled at the water fountain near airport gates. No more paying outrageous prices for bottled water at the airport!

The bottles have the same type of charcoal filters that the Brita pitchers do, and the water tastes great. The filters last for two months and can be replaced.

MIght one politely inquire why anyone mistrusts the purity and taste of Princess' onboard water, which flows freely and for free? Or for that matter - and given numerous studies - trusts the purity of bottled water, much of which is simply repurposed tap water, plenty of which contains nasty contaminents? Why does anyone schlep water onboard, instead of doing your wallet and your environment a favor and carrying a refillable stainless steel water bottle?

Who knows...people are obsessed with bottled water including my DW. She will not even drink the filtered water from our refrigerator.:rolleyes:

I have a sensitivity to salt. When I have had the water from the ships, I have swelling problems. When I bring my own water, the swelling problems aren't evident. For me, it's a comfort thing. If I could drink the water from the ship without any problems I would. Then I wouldn't have to schlepp my own.

Edited by Tweedy

I take a few bottles just to fill up in the cabin or other areas as needed. We used to drink a lot of bottled water but now use it mainly for car trips. Environmentally and cost wise it just got to be silly.

To me, the ship's water is fine--not as good as our pure well water, but a heck of a lot better than most 'city' water.

You've got me. I'll drink straight out of the garden hose. :)

I have no issue with the water on Princess.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know what brand of bottled water is available for sale on Golden Princess? Do they have the small bottles to bring on excursions, or just the large bottles?

I seem to remember only the big bottles, but I could be wrong, since I don't buy any I tend to ignore the water for sale. And they were expensive.

I think I remember it being Evian water. There were smaller bottles for sale as we left ship on excursions. It's been awhile since on Princess, so I may be wrong. I carry a few bottles and refill. I may go for the Brita bottles if it helps with the salt. It is noticeable. I always think the bottled water taste better when warm, as compared to tap water. It is more hydrating at room temperature. Or beach temp. Always drink the ship ice water at dinner. I can drink any water, but just prefer the bottled at times.

I have a sensitivity to salt. When I have had the water from the ships, I have swelling problems. When I bring my own water, the swelling problems aren't evident. For me, it's a comfort thing. If I could drink the water from the ship without any problems I would. Then I wouldn't have to schlepp my own.

That does make sense, though bottled waters do contain varying amounts of sodium. I'm thinking that some may contain as much or more as ship's water, but if you've found a brand that works for you, great.

Given the amount of salt in most Princess food, do you request a salt-free menu?

Who knows...people are obsessed with bottled water including my DW. She will not even drink the filtered water from our refrigerator.

Basically this is my reason too. I will bring a box with 3 one-gallon jugs to preserve tranquility in the stateroom.

Me? I think a drink from the garden hose on a warm day is one of life's underrated pleasures.

This picture of a MiniBar setup (courtesy of Caribill) may not be indicative of every ship's offering. But this Geyser brand is actual spring water. My DW does not like the bottled waters that are processed municipal (D*s*n1), may be a salt issue.

Rick

Do they have the small bottles to bring on excursions, or just the large bottles?

They have both small and large bottles. They will be selling them on port days near where you gather for Princess excursions and also where you must go to leave the ship.

.5 liter price last summer was $2.00 + 15% tip.

Edited by caribill